• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
9 9

628 posts in this topic

This is one ugly cover. That is one ugly chick.
Yeah, those women strike me as more handsome than beautiful. Speaking of ugly "woman" covers, Terrific Comics #5 always made me think, "Why is that man dressed in drag being tortured like that?" Schomberg could draw stunning women but every once and in a while he would draw one who had to shave her chin stubble twice a day.

I'll just exit to the left now. :fear:

People are missing out by not reading Supersnipe. The stories are more fun to read than 95% of all other GA books.

There. I said it.

Go make a run on eBay and pick up a copy

The covers always looked kind of blah to me, so I've never looked at any of the stories - are they Sheldon Mayer Red Tornado good, or just better than average, because if we are going to be honest, 95% of GA stories are chore to read, even if the art is compelling.

Better. Witty. Humorous. Timely. With a war flavor and espionage twist...

Great supporting characters

Other street and smith references

What's not to love

Sacrilege

Well. Maybe some truth. :lol:

Spirit 20. Vavavoom

Spirit 22. Classic bad girl

Spirit 21...butterface ?

Eisner's style was a bit cartoony for his women to be as sexy as Wood's or Baker's, but they definitely conveyed sexiness in the context of that style. I always thought P'Gell was drawn to look deliberately mature, as though closer to 40 than 30. After all she had what, nine husbands?

(thumbs u

Out of the Shadows #7 is SUPERLATIVE. Fifties must be off on his meds.

Hey, the thread title IS, "Unpopular Opinions" ain't it? :wink:

OK, I would agree that the covers shown display decent artwork for the genre. So why couldn't Katz have given the same quality to the illustrations in the interior stories?

(thumbs u

OK, I would agree that the covers shown display decent artwork for the genre. So why couldn't Katz have given the same quality to the illustrations in the interior stories?

Well, on that we're gonna have to say, to each their own, as I think his interior art is just as great! He has a nice story in Strange Tales #28 (much more than just a stunning Harry Anderson cover.)

You want bad interior art, look inside the average Stan-Mor pub, or Minoan/Myron Fass publication. Often the dreckiest of the drek. Blech!

(thumbs u

Well, on that we're gonna have to say, to each their own, as I think his interior art is just as great! He has a nice story in Strange Tales #28 (much more than just a stunning Harry Anderson cover.)

You want bad interior art, look inside the average Stan-Mor pub, or Minoan/Myron Fass publication. Often the dreckiest of the drek. Blech!

Absolutely agree on anything Stanley Morse put out; just the pits in interior artwork half or more of the time. AFA Minoan (Tales of Horror), can't agree for a minute. I think the artwork is easily journeyman quality.

(thumbs u

Absolutely agree on anything Stanley Morse put out; just the pits in interior artwork half or more of the time. AFA Minoan (Tales of Horror), can't agree for a minute. I think the artwork is easily journeyman quality.

Well, I'll agree to each their own then, as any Toby stories, usually haven't impressed me. Mind you though, I still enjoy the covers! It takes a pretty bad effort for me to not find "something" to like about a PCH cover, but some are more likeable than others. :)

Most of my opinions are very unpopular I am sure.

I don't get the obsession with grades, to me it's just people trying to feel better than each other by having some stupid competition with made up grading scales.

I think mint, perfect comics are boring. I like loved, used, beat up comics. I love names and stamps on covers and seeing it was used and seeing the history of the comic. I just got a comic that's got lipstick on the pages like some girl was using it to get excess lipstick off, like "biting" down on the pages. I just find the history of an object fascinating and interesting and with a mint comic its nothing and pretty boring, it probably was just sitting in a closet for decades unloved and not used like it was supposed to be.

I hate restoration on comics, or anything for that matter, it erases the history of the object and it's all for money or wanting some perfect comic to feel better about themselves having it in better condition than someone else.