• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
9 9

628 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2017 at 2:57 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Why is golden age Superman's body often so wide and bulky that it makes his head look disproportionately small? Not impressed by many of those. 

I think you are confusing the Wayne Boring rendition of Supes with the earlier Jack Burnley artwork.  Boring was the worst Superman artist of all time...

31 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

You mean you don't appreciate these masterpieces?(not my copies)22-1.jpg

51-1.jpg

Batman 22 is referred to as "Dancing Alfred Cover" and don't ask me what is going on with Batman and Robins body weight on that cover :facepalm:

Batman 51 is just plain :sick:.  I have a very high grade copy I really need to send in to be graded and just haven't been able to do it because it is just so cringe worthy.

There are a few that are nice like Joker and Catwoman covers as well as a few Win covers.

On 9/7/2017 at 10:46 PM, Point Five said:

Bump for this dusty thread. Some great discussions in here!

Here's an opinion: I like the better Zoot and Jo-Jo GGA covers more than the Phantom Lady ones. 2c The most classic PL covers are WAY too over-the-top for me, while the tamer ones are somehow not exciting enough.

Agree! And the most famous Phantom Lady cover her hand is so weird looking and I can't unsee that and now that I know it's there it is the only thing on the cover I see! Ok let's jokes about that start now :$

19 hours ago, tricolorbrian said:

Them's fightin' words right there...here, stare at this until you LIKE it...:sumo:  It is beautiful in its simplicity...and i think you're just jealous because you don't own one... lol

16544251622_aa909d1157_c.jpg

To me, looks like Cole was going for a minimalist, Art Deco effect.

On 22 July 2016 at 5:35 PM, Sqeggs said:

And if we extend the GA into the 1950s, I'd say I've always thought ECs were overrated. Some knockout stories and art for sure, but a lot if second-rate stuff as well. I'm sure this opinion will be popular! :fear:

Exactly why I never posted ECs as comics 'every collector should have' in the thread in General.

I think they're brilliant, but someone else might see them as extremely overwritten, formulaic and preachy at times.

On 9/9/2017 at 4:07 PM, tricolorbrian said:

Them's fightin' words right there...here, stare at this until you LIKE it...:sumo:  It is beautiful in its simplicity...and i think you're just jealous because you don't own one... lol

16544251622_aa909d1157_c.jpg

I have never owned one and I probably never will, but I love the simplicity.  It's   a preview of the dayglo paintings of the 60's.  Very clean with nice lines and great color contrast. As a matter of fact, I like it a lot better than some of his really busy jungle pictures.

It's lovely.

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

I have never owned one and I probably never will, but I love the simplicity.  It's   a preview of the dayglo paintings of the 60's.  Very clean with nice lines and great color contrast. As a matter of fact, I like it a lot better than some of his really busy jungle pictures.

It's lovely.

Never thought of it this way, but now that you mention it ... hm

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

It's lovely.

Same thinking i had when i was on the search for a copy :smile:

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

But ... but ... it's got green aliens!

Oh i love that one but the Contact just a little  wee bit more 

Edited by comicjack