• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
9 9

628 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2023 at 4:10 PM, Dr. Love said:

There were file copies prior to '51 - Picture Stories for example.  And no explanation was ever sought (!) by those avid collectors Overstreet and Cochran or given as to the absolute lack of copies for the three romance titles - Modern Love, Moon, A Girl...Romance, and Saddle Romances.  15 issues.  Nada.

If pressed, I'd say it reflects Gaines' disdain for the romance genre - and the unprecedented money grab it represented by all publishers in 1949-1950.  In an industry where imitation was not only business as usual, but the business model itself.  So clearly shown by the "farewell" mocking story in the last issue of EC's three title romance run, Modern Love #8, "The Love Story to End ALL Love Stories!".

RCO006_1665420362.thumb.jpg.722cfb5a604180a2b369457708c1e8c1.jpg

That's priceless! ...Love Greasin (Lev Gleason with Parlay Diro under Tips ...Charles Biro?), Mr. Wolf (V. W. - Victor Fox), Arnold Harvey Hermann (looks like a take off on Alfred Harvey; maybe a mash-up with "Busy" Arnold and someone else), T. Tot doesn't fit Gaines or Feldstein, but the character or situation might be an in-joke for something or someone else!   lol

:cheers:

My recollection of when the Gaines EC File Copies came to market was that the collectors who were currently holding the majority of high-grade ECs prior to the release of the Gaines copies were the ones who felt the biggest impact. Now their books were largely well below the nicest in existence, and therefore probably worth less than they had been previously. That's what I remember hearing. I wasn't collecting ECs so I was on the sidelines. 

I think it was wonderful that Gaines put away numerous high grade copies. It wasn’t done for financial gain because at the time, comics were just worthless throw away publications. It was done as an archive for his company.

Even more brilliant was keeping all the original art. No one did this. My guess was that if he owned it, he wouldn’t have to pay any royalties if he had decided to use it again. It was of course eventually used to produce the Cochran EC books and comics. And he graciously seeked out the creators and gave them royalties on it. And all of us were given the opportunity to own a one of a kind piece of EC history.

Did the file copies affect the value of the owners of HG copies years later? Probably, but it also leveled the playing field a bit allowing more collectors access to HG copies.

I remember when Russ offered them to collectors. I was a little late to the party getting the list a little after many other folks. By that time, most of the better ones were already gone. They wern’t exactly cheap at the time either. I was able to grab only two. I didn’t care as much about the grade but more to have a historical piece of EC material. I was very happy to get them.

Shortly, there after, CGC came along and most were certified. I remember a certain board member that rarely posts here anymore, getting his MAD #1 back and splashing it around here at 9.8. Pretty soon another 9.8 came out. The guy was so upset that his wasn’t the only highest grade copy that he dumped it.

Gaines was the most visionary publisher in the history of comics and I thank him for it! 

Edited by Robot Man

On 7/22/2023 at 9:02 AM, ThothAmon said:

The Gaines File copies ruined collecting ECs. Thank goodness for collectors everywhere other publishers didn’t do this. 

Don’t know if I’d use the word ruined but it certainly “weirded out” the idea of what a pedigree was or could be. If he had kept just one or so high grade copy of each the collection would be viewed pretty much like a mile high type pedigree just focused on one publisher. Having a dozen copies of each in such high grade was something very different. Can you imagine if there were 12 Mile High Action #1 or Detective #27 or Marvel #1 from a single pedigree collection? Now imagine 12 copies of each in a high grade run of a title of each issue from a single pedigree collection. I do think although they became grails to the EC collector having 12 each probably radically reduced their value each if Gaines had instead only kept 1 or 2 copies each. I’ve seen a ton of them over the years. Very pretty but you’ve got 12 chances to own one vs the usual one or two (maybe) in most pedigrees.

On 7/25/2023 at 12:45 AM, N e r V said:

Don’t know if I’d use the word ruined but it certainly “weirded out” the idea of what a pedigree was or could be. If he had kept just one or so high grade copy of each the collection would be viewed pretty much like a mile high type pedigree just focused on one publisher. Having a dozen copies of each in such high grade was something very different. Can you imagine if there were 12 Mile High Action #1 or Detective #27 or Marvel #1 from a single pedigree collection? Now imagine 12 copies of each in a high grade run of a title of each issue from a single pedigree collection. I do think although they became grails to the EC collector having 12 each probably radically reduced their value each if Gaines had instead only kept 1 or 2 copies each. I’ve seen a ton of them over the years. Very pretty but you’ve got 12 chances to own one vs the usual one or two (maybe) in most pedigrees.

To me, it just made E.C.s a slightly lower priority because they're that much easier to find in high grade. I'd still like to pick up some high-grade copies of my favorite issues. If I see a book that's a little tougher to find in grade, then I'll usually go after that one instead.