• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starting a Convention Sketchbook

18 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

So I've always thought of starting a sketchbook to collect some art at conventions and I figured here is the best place to discuss how to go about it.

What's the preference on size? Large or small? What about paper quality? Perforated pages or no? How do you prevent bleeding? And so on.

In addition, what do you do if you want a sketch on single paper? I've heard this is the case with Adam Hughes, so how do you go about a situation like that if you have to bring your own?

Of course you are welcome to not only share useful tips but also show off as well, so have at it!

Hi everyone!

So I've always thought of starting a sketchbook to collect some art at conventions and I figured here is the best place to discuss how to go about it.

What's the preference on size? Large or small?

I have a 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 sketchpad it is the size of a Diary of a wimpy kid or Bone TPB. It is small and compact and easy to take along to conventions. I also think that it is not intimidating to artists to fill a whole page when they see it. I have seen people with books larger than 8 1/2 x 11 and they seem huge!!!!!!

What about paper quality? Perforated pages or no?

This is the pad that I have. Strathmore Sketch pad #457-5 I used it because I was running to a convention when I was rather young and decided trying out asking for sketches because Peter Kuper was going to be there. This pad has the least used amount of pages.

How do you prevent bleeding? And so on.

There are always flyers at a convention. I find one that stand out a bit and probably thicker than the paper I have and use it as a bookmark and as bleed prevention. This worked out better than I thought because I use a smaller sketchpad.

In addition, what do you do if you want a sketch on single paper? I've heard this is the case with Adam Hughes, so how do you go about a situation like that if you have to bring your own?

I have no idea what you mean by this. I can only assume that this is a piece of paper which would normally be for comic book original art. I never had an issue where I needed to bring specific paper or tear a page out of my sketchbook.

Of course you are welcome to not only share useful tips but also show off as well, so have at it!

Many of the sketches are not from comic book artists but people who do comic strips or more independent/web comic artisans. Most of the time I am buying a book of theirs and ask them to sign the book and if possible make a sketch in the sketchbook. I have only paid for 1 sketch but I think it is because I didn't bring anything I already owned for him to sign nor did I buy a book.

28405478922_89f2030e5b_m.jpg28227203650_5e011f1a9c_m.jpg28227210110_14efe3e0ac_m.jpg27895013763_e950f52da8_m.jpg27894218574_d5c63b70f0_m.jpg

phantalien,

Lots of stellar information!

I agree that a sketchbook should be of a reasonable size and not too big. Otherwise, an artist may not know how to fill in all the empty space, and like you noted, traveling with a larger sized sketchbook might be troublesome.

The spiral pad looks great! Have you had problems with accidental tears on the spine?

That's a great way to use flyers lying about. Bristol board could be used as well, correct?

Ah! About individual paper I was referring to a post by Adam Hughes that read: "Adam will gladly sketch in your sketchbook, on paper you have brought, or on a blank sketch cover. Unfortunately, we will not have paper for this with us, so please be sure and bring your own."

Lovely sketches! I particularlt like the one by Evan Dorkin! Overall, great post! :golfclap:

I think you have to start by thinking about what you want it to be when it is all said and done. Are you envisioning a book with extremely nice commissioned pieces or more of a compilation of quick sketch type pieces?

Examples:

I have a medium sized book. Primary targets are quick sketches at shows. Many have been free and all have been around $40 or less. I call it my quickie/freebie, under $50 book. I have some that are pretty nice and I have some stinkers. But it is more about fun and experience with the detail reflecting price, etc.

I started my kids with sketchbooks as well. They are small and most of the drawings in them are free or a few bucks. It is all about the experience and introducing them to art inexpensively. They have some pieces I like quite a bit in them. Kids = a lot of free sketches … and a small book helps because the artist knows they can fill up the page pretty quickly.

My buddy has a large sketchbook and he goes for nicer level commissions, usually $100 minimum up to a few hundred dollars. His book is VERY nice and has some killer pieces. He essentially swapped getting 11x17 art on separate pieces of paper at shows for the book. Once it got started, artists can tell he is not a flipper and a true fan of the art and he tends to get better pieces In the book. It will take a long time and a lot of money to complete the book but it will be an epic collection of art when he is done.

I do not like the perforated pages and all of the above are on bound books (to me those feel like the intent is to eventually remove pages – I like the idea of keeping a book together so don’t see the need). We all keep a backing board (or something like it) in the book to prevent bleed through and it also serves as a bookmark for the next piece to be done. I am probably 70% through my book and have slowed down dramatically as I tend to prefer spending money on the 11x17 commissions. I do bring the book and try and get drawings here and there added. I am at the point of trying to decide what my next book will be and I vacillate back and forth on what size I want to buy next … still undecided.

Good luck – they are fun to assemble and I still flip through all of them from time to time and the elicit fond memories of acquiring the art and interacting with the artists.

I have only one sketchbook, my wife gave it to me for my 60th birthday. She and, to a lesser degree, my daughters spent 3 years getting it done.

The degree of elaboration is pretty extreme to quite modest. The fees were generally quite low or free.

We are on vacation at the moment, but when I get home, I'll post the details of the book she used. It got a lot of complements for the paper.

If you are interested in seeing my book, click the image.

XU0huvzz_1806162352031sbpi.jpg

Had I a chance to start over, I would go with a hardcover, spiral bound sketchbook. The standard "book" type of sketchbook looks better, but I've found that some artists have a hard time trying to draw when dealing with the spine of the book, and prefer something that can lay completely flat. Also, after 20 years of taking mine to shows, the spine actually fell off my book, rendering moot the "look better" aspect. I'd go with at least an 8.5 x 11 or 9 x 12 book, the 11 x 14 or larger are just overkill. Go with a heavy, non-perforated, decent grade of paper as well, not some thin "artist sketchpad" type of book. Pretty much anything you can find in an art store should be good to draw on. One advantage of the spiral-type of book is that, if you get an artist who can't do something at the show, but would be willing to do something at home, you can carefully pull the spiral binding apart and slip some pages out of the book, and slip them back in later once the artist sends them to you. Here's a small selection of sketches I've gotten in my book over the years...

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=117198

and a direct image to one (assuming this link works)...

vansciver-sketchbook.jpg

You choose yourself if you want to just get cheap or free sketches, or if you want to spend $100 (and up!) for more finished pieces. One more option is just to collect loose-leaf, single sheet sketches, and collect them into an Itoya binder. It's a great remembrance of conventions, and can get quite impressive after a few shows. The most important thing would be to have fun with it! Good luck!

Dave M.

Not necessarily sketchbook related, but along similar lines...what advice/experience do people have with "jam" pieces?

I'm gearing up to go to my first show in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking I want to start a head-shot type piece with different artists drawing the heads of different characters in the style of the old Marvel corner boxes. I'm not particularly interested in trying to fill up sketchbooks or even collecting a ton of sketches/commissions that will just sit in a portfolio, so I thought something like this on a single piece of bristol board might be a good option. Are artists generally conducive to this sort of thing? What if my preference is to have them all done pen/ink as opposed to marker? What's the best way to communicate that without sounding like a pushy fanboy?

for sketch books, I like what JG said. figure out what you want your book to be and decide from there. quickies = smaller book. elaborate pieces = larger book.

I prefer to just go the free / cheap quickie route with sketch books. I've heard of horror stories with books going missing or artists taking the books 'hostage' for quite some time where I wouldn't want all of my worthwhile collection at risk of going missing at a show. loose 11x17 sheets is the way to go for me for anything of a meaningful investment.

as for jams - this is probably the most helpful thread on the topic:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=127386&highlight=purpose

Home from vacation and I pulled my 60th birthday sketchbook off the shelf.

It's a Canson brand book. The label reads "Art Book - Mix Media." It's 9x12 and 138lb paper. It is spiral bound so that it is flat when the artist works.The pages are microperf so if you want to remove one, you can.

The one that I bought for my daughter is also from Canson. The label reads "Art Book - Drawing." It's 7x10 (and easier to handle) with 90lb paper. It definitely bleeds more than the heavier paper in my book.

I've attached pictures of my book..

163571.jpg.785467bd289a8d18d567cf700c7e8a53.jpg

163572.jpg.7828cb3619c374b448bc02f288d4d2a9.jpg

for sketch books, I like what JG said. figure out what you want your book to be and decide from there. quickies = smaller book. elaborate pieces = larger book.

I prefer to just go the free / cheap quickie route with sketch books. I've heard of horror stories with books going missing or artists taking the books 'hostage' for quite some time where I wouldn't want all of my worthwhile collection at risk of going missing at a show. loose 11x17 sheets is the way to go for me for anything of a meaningful investment.

as for jams - this is probably the most helpful thread on the topic:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=127386&highlight=purpose

Thanks for the link. There's some good info in there.

Regarding sketches, what's the wait time, generally speaking? Do artists do sketches in the moment? Or do you usually need to leave your book and pick it up later? I know that sort of thing is common with larger, more involved pieces, but wasn't sure what the story is on quicker sketches. I assume things differ based on the relative profile and celebrity of a given artist.

Wow! Absolutely amazing posts all around. Many thanks to each of you for sharing your experiences and your sketchbooks. It is truly appreciative. (thumbs u

After much thinking, I believe I'd like to go for a small sketchbook with sketches that are not on the expensive side. As for a theme, Todd Nauck came to mind. If you haven't all ready, you should check out his Post-it Note sketches. For such a stature they are very detailed, and so perhaps the book can be filled with 3" x 3" (or maybe 4" x 4") sketches. I would like to believe that given the dimensions of the restricted space, the sketches should then be affordable and the sketchbook layout itself will be consistent from artist to artist.

I'm super glad that it was brought up to go with a hardcover, spiral bound sketchbook as I was gravitating toward the more book-like sketchbooks in the beginning.

As for bringing my own pencils, pencils, and markers, I do bring my own markers when I wish to get something signed but I've never bothered with the others (since I've never had to, hence this topic). What brands are recommended?

Copic markers are great, but they are not cheap.

I can't really make a recommendation on pencils or pens. Usually, they will have those, but it never hurt to be prepared with something. Oh, and an art gum eraser!

On the topic of markers, does anyone specifically request "no Sharpies" on sketches? I suppose it doesn't much matter on quickie sketches, but I have it burned into my brain that Sharpies and OA do not mix. However, I imagine a lot of artists use them at cons.

Copic markers are great, but they are not cheap.

I can't really make a recommendation on pencils or pens. Usually, they will have those, but it never hurt to be prepared with something. Oh, and an art gum eraser!

You're absolutely right. Copic markers are NOT cheap. Good thing I don't mind sketches with no color.

An art gum eraser is a nice recommendation! I seriously forgot those things existed.