• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling All Wannabe Comics Editors!

33 posts in this topic

We have a publishing company which includes a line of six super-hero titles, including one called The Blue Baron.

Occasionally, we have internal disagreements over colors and, since this board was such a helpful tie-breaker last year, we thought we'd try again for this cover for The Blue Baron #2 by Ron Frenz.

It's a subtle choice of two versions, involving the color of the villain's energy beams.

Here's version A:

BB02_coverB1_zpskwiuiumn.jpg

And here's version B:

BB02_coverB_zpsjhbex2bu.jpg

Which version would you say is superior? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

(For more details about our comics head over to www.sitcomics.net or www.facebook.com/Sitcomics)

I can see why there's a split.

In the first cover the orange bolts look good against the trees (right hand) but get dulled against the purple speed lines, the red stripe and the red clock (left hand blast)

In the second cover the green blast pops better with the bottom half of the cover (left hand's blast) but the green blast gets lost against the trees.

I'd say the bottom green color is better since it makes the red and purples pop better in the bottom half of the cover.

If you could darken or turn up the "brown" in the background trees it might help the right hand bolt pop.

Orange right hand, green left hand.

But seriously, I say orange. There is already quite a bit of green on the cover and the beams get lost among the trees a bit. There is no orange, so it stands out more in both hands.

Orange can be conveyed as simple fire.

Green? There is something more going on than simple fire. Forget about color for a second and go with what the character is capable of.

If the Human Torch was flying through the desert or an orange type background would you change the color of his flames? Of course not, because the Human Torch shoots fire. Fire is orange and red.

Whatever this guy's power is... go with that and work everything else around it. Your primary job is to showcase the villain on that cover.

I can see why there's a split.

In the first cover the orange bolts look good against the trees (right hand) but get dulled against the purple speed lines, the red stripe and the red clock (left hand blast)

In the second cover the green blast pops better with the bottom half of the cover (left hand's blast) but the green blast gets lost against the trees.

I'd say the bottom green color is better since it makes the red and purples pop better in the bottom half of the cover.

If you could darken or turn up the "brown" in the background trees it might help the right hand bolt pop.

Orange looks better, green looks more appropriate for the character. I agree that the colorist should darken the trees to make them look sickly, which would make the green stand out more.

Way too much green on the cover. As soon as I saw the orange I knew it was perfect.

Orange also draws attention back to the center of the page.

I'm assuming he's radioactive or something along those lines? If so, Orange / yellow / white works better IMO.

Orange all the way.