• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling All Wannabe Comics Editors!

33 posts in this topic

Mmmmm, crowdsourcing labor. Does anyone here know this person, buy this comic or have any relationship with the company that would engender the desire to contribute free creative advice? Next up, an inking contest where you ink the entire book for free!

Most radiation is not on the human visible spectrum, but if it were and you're talking about fast moving / powerful examples, then you'd want something further up the range - green, blue, or violet. So... green is actually a pretty good choice if you're going for that sort of 'comic book logic' angle.

In the examples, the orange helps out in a few ways, it makes the color palette more varied, and it lets the pink streak left behind by your speedster pop more than the green does. However, visibly, he's just shooting flames out of his hands and I think that's poor design personally... unless he is actually shooting flames out of his hands in which case I have other questions.

Long winded way to say it, but all other things being equal as they are on the cover, I don't think I'd use either unfortunately. If I had to pick one of the two, it'd be green (assuming the figure isn't shooting flames out of their hands) to avoid confusion. At that point, I might want to go in and change some of the background since green is so prevalent already.

Mmmmm, crowdsourcing labor. Does anyone here know this person, buy this comic or have any relationship with the company that would engender the desire to contribute free creative advice? Next up, an inking contest where you ink the entire book for free!

That's a bit much isn't it? :shrug:

A big slippery slope.

Wow! 38 votes cast and 19 say green and 19 say orange. It's the 2000 presidential election all over again!

The arguments for each color are really well-made and I appreciate everyone's feedback. @Buzzetta, your points are the most persuasive so far. And I can also see the point of recoloring the trees to vary the green a bit. But I'm guessing a few more votes and comments are still to come.

By the way, I foolishly forgot to mention the Blue Baron cover art is by Ron Frenz, Sal Buscema and colorist Glenn Whitmore who also draw the interiors on the series.

I'm mostly curious about what this ratings system is in the bottom right corner. Rated "8 o'clock?" Is that supposed to correspond to the bedtime of the reader? I'm so befuddled by this ratings system.

@Doktor, it's Sitcomics' "Timeslot Rating System"

7 o'clock - appropriate for 7pm viewers (all ages)

8 o'clock - appropriate for 8pm viewers (an hour later for superhero violence)

9 o'clock - appropriate for 9pm viewers (teens and up)

you can compare the ratings at the Sitcomics website - link below.

I think the bigger issue with the cover colour scheme is that the figures, background, and sky are all washed out pastel tones. It's ok if SOME of the colours are pastel, particularly the sky, or highlights on the characters. But a cover should have lots of rich intense colour too.

Looks like the votes have all been cast and green has pulled away to win the cover crown.

The green blasts will indeed appear on the cover of The Blue Baron #2 (though I may, as a few here suggested, add some orange to the blasts once they actually hit something, in order to show the heat's effect on the tree, etc.)

Thanks so much to everyone who participated. I may return if another coloring concern seems worthy of your time.

bye!