• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do minor spine splits get worse over time in CGC holders?

24 posts in this topic

Problems may occur if the slab is dropped, bounced around, or subjected to vibration, but a slab stored in a box shouldn't complicate the issue.

I would store the book flat. Gravity is not your friend. It's amazing what the pressure can do over time. I had a sealed spine split open up in the slab.

How long was the split on your book? At least it is not in the newer type CGC holder then I would be worried. The split on my book is at the very bottom corner not in the middle of the spine so that worries me less.

I would store the book flat. Gravity is not your friend. It's amazing what the pressure can do over time. I had a sealed spine split open up in the slab.

Can you post some before and after pics if you have some?

This was 10 years ago and the book is long gone. The sealed spine split was at the bottom of the spine. I owned the book raw and submitted the book to CGC. I did not know about the sealed spine split until the book received a purple label. Anyway, I kept the book in my safe and after about a year I noticed the split was opening up, maybe a half inch split. I think the ridge at the bottom of the slab had gotten under the cover, causing pressure on the seal. Anyway, IMO, keeping the book flat would have prevented this. Hence, I am advising you to keep the book flat. Even if I am wrong, it can't hurt. (shrug)

Can you post some before and after pics if you have some?

This was 10 years ago and the book is long gone. The sealed spine split was at the bottom of the spine. I owned the book raw and submitted the book to CGC. I did not know about the sealed spine split until the book received a purple label. Anyway, I kept the book in my safe and after about a year I noticed the split was opening up, maybe a half inch split. I think the ridge at the bottom of the slab had gotten under the cover, causing pressure on the seal. Anyway, IMO, keeping the book flat would have prevented this. Hence, I am advising you to keep the book flat. Even if I am wrong, it can't hurt. (shrug)

A sealed split open up makes sens most likely much weaker than a original spine that has never had any restoration (I mean in CGC 6.0 and up). Was it a GA or SA book? Mine is not sealed (CGC blue label) and the rest of the spine is very solid. I will keep the book flat in my safe. Thanks.

How long was the split on your book? At least it is not in the newer type CGC holder then I would be worried. The split on my book is at the very bottom corner not in the middle of the spine so that worries me less.

Before CGC went back to the inner well design recently, there were concerns that the new holder was causing more pressure on the book, especially around the spine. Going back to the inner well design seemed to take care of a lot of issues originally seen with the new case. Are there concerns that there is still something different in the new holder, in regards to pressure leading to potential spine splits, or was that resolved by going back to the inner well design?

Before CGC went back to the inner well design recently, there were concerns that the new holder was causing more pressure on the book, especially around the spine. Going back to the inner well design seemed to take care of a lot of issues originally seen with the new case. Are there concerns that there is still something different in the new holder, in regards to pressure leading to potential spine splits, or was that resolved by going back to the inner well design?

I took bomber-bob to mean that his incident involved the old inner well design. If that is the case, the possibility of a spine split still exists since the new ones went back to an inner well.

I meant before they fixed it.

I took bomber-bob to mean that his incident involved the old inner well design. If that is the case, the possibility of a spine split still exists since the new ones went back to an inner well.

His book was restored (spine) making it weaker than a original spine in my opinion. It is like anything you patch it up but it never is like it once was.