• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,199 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Filters and variations and scanners all tend to show the books different than what they really look in hand. Don't worry @Grantley Goddard  If I have one planet that is nicer than one of @Flex Mentallo Planets,  trust me it is the only one.  His books literally give me heart palpitations. 

Since cheetah broke up his set, I think Artboy99 is at this point the only fellow boardie with a complete run . Jhutton and Goldust40 are now closing in rapidly. Kelholt and I might be close to a full set between us, and I think Kelly  has the edge on me in terms of sustained quality. How about you Rick? Are you close to completion?

7 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Since cheetah broke up his set, I think Artboy99 is at this point the only fellow boardie with a complete run . Jhutton and Goldust40 are now closing in rapidly. Kelholt and I might be close to a full set between us, and I think Kelly  has the edge on me in terms of sustained quality. How about you Rick? Are you close to completion?

Not even close to being complete and not sure I will ever be- I am not a completionist- I am a favoritist. I just get my favorites and it just so happens Planet has more of my favorites than any other title. I agree @kelholt is pretty insane on quality. Amazing. 

There is another silent boardie lurking who is just a few away from completion as well. 

..and thinking of significant runs, while I'm sure there are lots out there I'm not remembering - and at least one other near complete run I can think of, sacentaurs early issue Larsons are fantastic, Zolnerowitch has some stonking artwork and  Adam Strange's pedigree Whitman covers are sublime. His Man o' Mars copy blows mine out of the water.  It's another favorite cover, and I've often wondered why it wasn't Planet #74 instead of a one shot?

Man o' Mars #1 CGC 7.0.jpg

1 hour ago, kelholt said:

This one came in the mail yesterday. Never owned this issue before, extra excited to get a New Planet.

Rockford copy (a bonus in my opinion).

IMG_0452.thumb.JPG.3bd760a8f9145a72b1bc9784e8905a8f.JPG

Nice paper for a Rockford and a great cover!

2 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Not even close to being complete and not sure I will ever be- I am not a completionist- I am a favoritist. I just get my favorites and it just so happens Planet has more of my favorites than any other title. I agree @kelholt is pretty insane on quality. Amazing. 

There is another silent boardie lurking who is just a few away from completion as well. 

Yes, kelholt is a quality purist. For some of the rare books, I'll take what I can find. 'Tis the curse of the completist.

I'm steadily making my way to the goal line. I can't see the goal line yet, but I'm starting to feel it's not too far around the corner. Only about ten toughies left, and that tricky 15, and then just filling in gaps as the wallet allows.

Just now, Zolnerowich said:

Yes, kelholt is a quality purist. For some of the rare books, I'll take what I can find. 'Tis the curse of the completist.

I'm steadily making my way to the goal line. I can't see the goal line yet, but I'm starting to feel it's not too far around the corner. Only about ten toughies left, and that tricky 15, and then just filling in gaps as the wallet allows.

Well done - sounds like you are a lot further along than I had realized!

2 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I think mikephoen is also very close to a complete run.

4 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

..and thinking of significant runs, while I'm sure there are lots out there I'm not remembering - and at least one other near complete run I can think of, sacentaurs early issue Larsons are fantastic, Zolnerowitch has some stonking artwork and  Adam Strange's pedigree Whitman covers are sublime. His Man o' Mars copy blows mine out of the water.  It's another favorite cover, and I've often wondered why it wasn't Planet #74 instead of a one shot?

Wasn't FH kind of staggering towards the finish line at that point with Planet publishing somewhat irregularly?  Maybe they thought a reboot with a number 1 issue of a new title might boost sales a bit.  Sheer speculation, of course.

Hey folks, great to see all the excellent posts here about my favorite title! You may have noticed (or not) that I've not participated much in the thread. (which is weird because I'm a total Fiction House nut, specifically Planet.) Anyway, I've been pretty busy myself over the past few years putting together a full run. Actually, I've sold off huge portions of my comic collection to do just this. I decided a while back that I would rather have a complete run of Planet than a hodge-podge of other titles I'm somewhat interested in. I'm a total completionist, so this suits my personality perfectly. Anyway, I'm very happy to report that, thanks to the last CC auction (and Rick), I'm down to my last 10!

I'll post some of my favorite covers here over the next few weeks to get into things. properly. Maybe I'll post numerically. That'll be more fun. Anyway, I'll start off with my (new) #1, a restored 8.5:

Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comics%20

Edited by Soft-Serve

5 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I love that book, here is mine in the form of a Planet Comics:

PlanetComics15NZ_zps1de041db.jpg

Here's my #2. It came from a bound volume and is trimmed. But it looks so nice and has lovely white pages, who cares? It also helps that the restoration was done by the excellent Susan Cicconi. I've actually got 7 of the 12 books from the volume. (see my sig for the ones I don't have) It's a big goal of mine to reunite them all. Clearly I don't have #1...

Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comics%20

Edited by Soft-Serve

I love this thread.   Sounds like there is a number of folks getting really close to finishing the run.    I have also sold quite a few other books to move towards completing this run.   I feel like the finish line is so close I can almost grab it now.   It's just a matter of timing and budgets?

Warmest Regards

Jason

54 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

I love this thread.   Sounds like there is a number of folks getting really close to finishing the run.    I have also sold quite a few other books to move towards completing this run.   I feel like the finish line is so close I can almost grab it now.   It's just a matter of timing and budgets?

Warmest Regards

Jason

You got that right, it's actually a bit dangerous. I'm spending way more than I did early on. I can't abide a gap.