• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jhutton2 said:

I love this thread.   Sounds like there is a number of folks getting really close to finishing the run.    I have also sold quite a few other books to move towards completing this run.   I feel like the finish line is so close I can almost grab it now.   It's just a matter of timing and budgets?

Warmest Regards

Jason

I am also enjoying the thread. Planet is my #1 comic pursuit so it is always great to see so many nice issues out there.

Several years ago on the boards it seemed like Cheetah, Flex, Billy P (rivets only) and myself were chasing Planets alone. Nice to see everyone's growing appreciation for the Leader of the Big Six from Fiction House Comics.

Soft Serve, welcome to the club. :foryou:

Keep the scans and conversations going. Always fun to talk about and see Planets

Edited by kelholt
Spelling

Thanks for letting me climb into the treehouse!

Talk about the right timing, I got both of these at the same time here on the boards. Rick sent me the red alert and I'm glad my bank account was ready. You think it's bad trying to fill a specific issue in a run, try doing it with a specific comic! Anyway, Here's my #'s 4 & 5, both from the the same bound volume as the last two. Susan does great work! These issues, along with the others, had their covers cleaned and pressed. Spine was rebuilt using Japanese tissues & color touch at interior/exterior of spine. Each page was individually pressed. Fills at first wrap for structural support. Staple holes mended at centerfold. Color touch at fills. Book re-assembled using original, cleaned staples and pressed intact. I'll also include a picture of a before and after when I get to #9...

Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comics%20

Edited by Soft-Serve

My #7 & #8 are unrestored and pretty nice.  Technically they are still filler as I want a complete 1-12 run of the restored books eventually. I know folks 'round here mostly prefer untouched books, but I really appreciate the artistry of restoration. Maybe it's the artist in me. Either way, it means I get to own a great looking tough book for a fraction of the cost. Unfortunately, these are not those

Edited by Soft-Serve

14 minutes ago, Soft-Serve said:

And the last one for tonight...My #9 (and the one that started my obsession with Susan's restored bound volume....) Before and after...(credit: TheRestorationLab.com)

181.jpg

182.jpg

Fiction House - Planet Comics 009 (1a).jpg

Fiction House - Planet Comics 009 (1ab).jpg

thanks for posting. your books are awesome!

6 hours ago, Soft-Serve said:

Here's my #2. It came from a bound volume and is trimmed. But it looks so nice and has lovely white pages, who cares? It also helps that the restoration was done by the excellent Susan Cicconi. I've actually got 7 of the 12 books from the volume. (see my sig for the ones I don't have) It's a big goal of mine to reunite them all. Clearly I don't have #1...

Fiction_House_-_Planet_Comics_002_(1).jpg

Fantastic colors, and it looks so fresh! I look forward to the rest of your posts!

The colors on those restored copies are excellent. Given how nice the covers are, those bound volume issues were prime candidates for restoration. Well done.

5 hours ago, Soft-Serve said:

My #6 is a filler issue until the restored one becomes available. Just got it from the Link, so the auction pic will have to do. I'll crack it out once it arrives. 

pla1.1349a.jpg

All great stuff, Soft-Serve! Is this Planet 6 from the recent ComicConnect auction? (You mentioned the "Link" above...) If so, I was underbidder or maybe under-underbidder on this one, but alas made an executive decision to shift resources elsewhere.

11 hours ago, Soft-Serve said:

And the last one for tonight...My #9 (and the one that started my obsession with Susan's restored bound volume....) Before and after...(credit: TheRestorationLab.com)

181.jpg

182.jpg

Very nice #9 :headbang:

7 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

All great stuff, Soft-Serve! Is this Planet 6 from the recent ComicConnect auction? (You mentioned the "Link" above...) If so, I was underbidder or maybe under-underbidder on this one, but alas made an executive decision to shift resources elsewhere.

Yep, I was determined. Sorry about that! I hope you got something better! Once I find my restored copy, I'll send you a pm...

8 hours ago, rjpb said:

The colors on those restored copies are excellent. Given how nice the covers are, those bound volume issues were prime candidates for restoration. Well done.

Yeah, I'm really into them, they feel newsstand fresh. Interiors are second-to-none. BTW, I replaced all the photos I've uploaded so far with photobucket. While it's nice to have a simply upload feature on the boards, they really do a number on reds with their compression. Take another look when you get a chance....

Here' my number #10, #11, & #12. I picked up the #11 from the Link, so I'll have to post the scan of it when it is cracked. (it too is a filler issue until I get the restored copy I'm looking for. That being said, it looks pretty good for a 3.5. I wonder why...)

pla1.1354a.jpg

Edited by Soft-Serve

Here's the #13 I picked up from the Link (along with the #6, & #12 (also #18, & #23 which are soon to be pictured) I think this one will be a keeper. I don't see them come up to often, and cream pages don't bother me a lick. I'm looking forward to free her from her (plastic) bondage. I'm willing to bet those colors will pop a bit better. 

pla1.1406a.jpg

45 minutes ago, Soft-Serve said:

Here's the #13 I picked up from the Link (along with the #6, & #12 (also #18, & #23 which are soon to be pictured) I think this one will be a keeper. I don't see them come up to often, and cream pages don't bother me a lick. I'm looking forward to free her from her (plastic) bondage. I'm willing to bet those colors will pop a bit better. 

pla1.1406a.jpg

I thought that was a very attractive copy - especially for the given grade.

2 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I thought that was a very attractive copy - especially for the given grade.

The 4.0 went for almost the same price as this one, likely because of the better PQ. Luckily, I'm a cover-guy mainly, so I look for color strike and centering above all. I think I'll be very happy with this one.  

Don't have a #17 yet either (I'll forever kick myself for not picking up Rick's copy when he had it up), so we skip ahead to #18. Got this one at the Link as well, so here is the auction pick. Really looking forward to cracking out this one... I've been on a slow and arduous upgrade to this copy. It's my third after a 1.5 and a 3.5. Third time's the charm.... 

pla1.1361a.jpg