• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

This discussion is a little troubling for me. Rick's Book is great. Sure it's a higher grade and a pedigree but the other book is only half a grade lower and has vastly superior colouring IMO. (No offence intended). It's a beautiful copy for sure.If it were me I'd pick the 8.5 every day of the week. Planets that actually show their true colours are more desirable than the more common faded ones IMO. :foryou:

In short Buy the book NOT the label.  :preach:

Just now, Grantley Goddard said:

This discussion is a little troubling for me. Rick's Book is great. Sure it's a higher grade and a pedigree but the other book is only half a grade lower and has vastly superior colouring IMO. (No offence intended). It's a beautiful copy for sure.If it were me I'd pick the 8.5 every day of the week. Planets that actually show their true colours are more desirable than the more common faded ones IMO. :foryou:

In short Buy the book NOT the label.  :preach:

For some reason, this cover doesn't seem to get the love that certain others do, so I'm pleased Rick and I are kindred spirits. I certainly wouldn't pass on a 9.0 pedigree copy if I didnt have one already.

Yes, there are many Planets that have a very typical faded cover or weak inks.   I agree with Flex that the bright colours and vivid inks don't always seem to translate in to a higher grade with Planet issues.   Not certain if the colour variation is due the  well documented variation in ink and colours in same numbered issues, or the books have just not held up that well to sunlight and exposure over the years.

3 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

Yes, there are many Planets that have a very typical faded cover or weak inks.   I agree with Flex that the bright colours and vivid inks don't always seem to translate in to a higher grade with Planet issues.   Not certain if the colour variation is due the  well documented variation in ink and colours in same numbered issues, or the books have just not held up that well to sunlight and exposure over the years.

I think it's variation, but cant be sure. Plus - I need to doublecheck to be sure - but the scan of my copy looks a little 'juiced'.

7 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:
7 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Thanks Kelly and Flex! I agree, the book presents very nicely. It really is one of the cooler and unique covers from the rivet run, IMO. In an ideal world, the "slightly" brittle pages would be white pages, but I think it hammered at a more-than-reasonable price.

GAtor has said a few times that 'slightly brittle' could just mean a corner, rather than the entire book. Entirely acceptable in a rare book such as this.

I've submitted books with a tiny hint of flaking at the top or bottom of the spine.  Perfectly readable without any further bits coming off and CGC has given them the dreaded SB designation.  In the pre-slabbing world, very few people would have considered the books to have a problem worth worrying about.

So, I think SB books can indeed be bargains.

Just now, Sqeggs said:

I've submitted books with a tiny hint of flaking at the top or bottom of the spine.  Perfectly readable without any further bits coming off and CGC has given them the dreaded SB designation.  In the pre-slabbing world, very few people would have considered the books to have a problem worth worrying about.

Yep - it's a sometimes minor fault they really seem to hammer.

Just now, Flex Mentallo said:

People want to know!

Or the #2? I thought the price on that copy was pretty strong.

I got shut out on the #2 even though I was almost prepared to break my rule about getting the book at all costs.

Picked up the #14. The #15 didn't move at auction's end. Almost went for it despite the resto and heavy shadow.

1 minute ago, goldust40 said:

I got shut out on the #2 even though I was almost prepared to break my rule about getting the book at all costs.

Picked up the #14. The #15 didn't move at auction's end. Almost went for it despite the resto and heavy shadow.

Good move on the #14 though. Structurally sound and nicely presenting. I didnt bother to bid, though would've done in other circumstances. Glad you won it, Andy!

The particular faults on the #15 would've put me off though.

I was pleased to see the #2 go fairly high because I have one just like it!

14 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Good move on the #14 though. Structurally sound and nicely presenting. I didnt bother to bid, though would've done in other circumstances. Glad you won it, Andy!

The particular faults on the #15 would've put me off though.

I was pleased to see the #2 go fairly high because I have one just like it!

Thanks Michael - I didn't do too badly on the #14.

#s 2 and 15 are all that I need to finish the set - the 2 was a very nice copy.

Edited by goldust40

2 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Yes, the front cover on the #2 looked higher than 6.5 to me.

That #2 was a nice looking copy.  I was in the running for a bit, then the price got progressively higher than I was comfortable with for this auction.   I do have a lower grade #2 already which will soon be graded at CGC.   Not the most beautiful condition book, but that's ok.    I am actually down to 4 issues remaining to complete the run, so I am also very close to completing that quest, its been a long time coming :)  Maybe by the end of 2017, we will see if all the stars align.

2 hours ago, goldust40 said:

Nice pickup on the 14. Looked structurally nice to me too. There is one graded at that level, two at 6.0 and. 9.2 (Church) so it might be a while before another similar grade surfaces.

The 15 did have its "issues", but they don't grow on trees either. I thought it would move more, but it sat and sold without an extra bid. This copy has the second best coloring on a 15 that I have ever seen. 2c

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

(One reason) why I like the boards. Always good things to be learned here. (thumbsu

19 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I think it's variation, but cant be sure. Plus - I need to doublecheck to be sure - but the scan of my copy looks a little 'juiced'.

Filters and variations and scanners all tend to show the books different than what they really look in hand. Don't worry @Grantley Goddard  If I have one planet that is nicer than one of @Flex Mentallo Planets,  trust me it is the only one.  His books literally give me heart palpitations.