• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

They will be lining the interior of the coffin one day. 

God forbid! Some years ago I realized that I had far too much of my life tied up in comics and pivoted in a different direction (cf Serendip). I kept the Fiction House, but you really don't want to know what I let go of. It's sometimes painful to reflect on the collection I once had, just short years ago, especially given what has happened to values since then. But I've never once doubted the necessity of parting with them. Anyone who dreams of a comic lined coffin - seek counseling at once (form a line at the door). I realize how that comes across - but fairly pointless to claim holier than thou, and I did keep my Planets!

1 hour ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Debunk away! :foryou:

The following image is a photoshop mockup, not an actual comic. It's an attempt to get closer to the original state than most surviving copies.

planet%2015d_zpsr9seomxq.jpg

I think my 15 has decent colors, where it lacks is in the red ink and you can see some blotches of the stronger red/orange color where more color could have been applied but possibly the ink plate was low?

PlanetComics15cgc15_zpsdf32b738.jpg

2 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

#32 is a good example of how much a part color sometimes plays in composition.

030.jpg

My 32 has very strong colors, particularily the yellow and the blue, and again I think it was lacking red ink on the red printing plate. There are areas where some red is blotched on where it should have been a stronger application of color.

PlanetComics32raw80_zps99ef463b.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

1 hour ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Similar to the mockup of #15 above, the difference being I've never seen a copy of #26 even close to this fantasy! I'd like to believe that there is a copy like this somewhere.

038.jpg

Mine has a hint of the red that could have been there, but again the plate seemed to only have red in certain spots. A common theme is revealed: the red ink needed to be added more frequently perhaps? The yellows and greens on my copy are very strong though.

PlanetComics26raw55_zps9ef9bf00.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Mine has a hint of the red that could have been there, but again the plate seemed to only have red in certain spots. A common theme is revealed: the red ink needed to be added more frequently perhaps? The yellows and greens on my copy are very strong though.

This is mine. No manipulation 

597C6EE5-19F0-4C26-B09B-8134EC4EE637.jpeg

3 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Red pigment is considerably more expensive when dealing with high end paint..... so that may be the case with ink as well.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

7 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Red pigment is considerably more expensive when dealing with high end paint..... so that may be the case with ink as well.... GOD BLESS...

Now that's interesting!

3 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:
11 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Now that's interesting!

I'm not sure it would even apply here, though..... as the "red" hues in printing are produced with magenta, which is a very hot pink looking color, when combined with yellow, depending on the degree, will produce red or orange. It also plays a role in creating purple. GOD BLESS....

6 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I'm not sure it would even apply here, though..... as the "red" hues in printing are produced with magenta, which is a very hot pink looking color, when combined with yellow, depending on the degree, will produce red or orange. It also plays a role in creating purple. GOD BLESS....

...and magenta is notorious for fading! The history of its development and makeup is quite fascinating (whole books have been written about it.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magenta

6 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

My contribution to the color circus: mine is similar to Artboy's, with an echo of red along the top, though my blues and greens are much less saturated that Artboy's scintillating copy.

Planet_26_w5.thumb.jpg.26665ce55a9449bf4aeb2b7fb127f1bf.jpg

Rick's great copy notwithstanding, the law of averages would suggest that deeper colors should turn up at least some of the time. But until we actually see a red copy, there are no guarantees. We see so many orange FH books, and surely some of them were intentionally colored that way?! So one might search forever for deeper colors on a specific issue, never realizing there never was one! Nightmare!lol

4 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

...and magenta is notorious for fading! The history of its development and makeup is quite fascinating (whole books have been written about it.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magenta

As we have discussed before: is it fading with regards to these Planet Comics?

All of the books I have presented with red have areas of strong red in blotches. It suggests more ink was on the printing plate for those areas, and the copies I have were printed before more red was applied to the entire printing plate.

OR

The ink is indeed fading, or perhaps the better word is dissipating/evaporating.

28 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I would exclusively collect 3.0's if they all looked like this. :cloud9: 

Thanks, I think the purples on mine on the wall or whatever that is, are more purple than blue, that's why I posted it.