• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did you ever have a book you're certain was damaged during grading?

55 posts in this topic

My LCS owner had a bronze key come back with a 9.6 grade and a chunk out of one of the corners that was not there when submitted. It had to have been damaged while being slabbed. No way any grader would give it that grade with the chunk missing.

My LCS owner had a bronze key come back with a 9.6 grade and a chunk out of one of the corners that was not there when submitted. It had to have been damaged while being slabbed. No way any grader would give it that grade with the chunk missing.

When you send a book to CGC, I believe they retain the original bag(mylar) and board you used on your submission throughout the whole process. For this reason, I always use an over sized bag and board = no tight fits where the book may catch a corner.

I had a golden age Phantom Stranger 1, I sent via comic link, it had a large split at the top and bottom, but was still attached 3-4 inches in middle. It was sent to CGC, came back poor, I could not figure, or see why in slab, it had been completely split. A person at comic link remembered the book well, and agreed with me it was not split before submitting, I emailed to complain, they said it was like it.

I tried to argue, why would the grading notes say Staple Back Cover Detached

Whole Book Brittle/Fragile, Bottom Spine Medium Spine Split , Top Spine Medium Spine Spilt.

Why would it say, top top medium split, bottom medium spine split if it was totally split?

I know this happened there, I was expecting 2.0-2.5, if I got really, really lucky a 3.0, a it presented very well, but it came back 1.0.

I know the comic was fragile on the spine, one of the reasons I slabbed it, thinking this would help protect it. I opened it up very carefully, no problems each time, but if someone opened it up like they would a modern, I could see this happening.

Anyway, it was my word against theres, I got 1 free submission, which I've still not used. Big difference in value between a 2.5 and 1.0 ;-(

herc

I had a golden age Phantom Stranger 1, I sent via comic link, it had a large split at the top and bottom, but was still attached 3-4 inches in middle. It was sent to CGC, came back poor, I could not figure, or see why in slab, it had been completely split. A person at comic link remembered the book well, and agreed with me it was not split before submitting, I emailed to complain, they said it was like it.

Whole Book Brittle/Fragile, Bottom Spine Medium Spine Split , Top Spine Medium Spine Spilt.

Why would it say, top top medium split, bottom medium spine split if it was totally split?

I know this happened there, I was expecting 2.0-2.5, if I got really, really lucky a 3.0, a it presented very well, but it came back 1.0.

I know the comic was fragile on the spine, one of the reasons I slabbed it, thinking this would help protect it. I opened it up very carefully, no problems each time, but if someone opened it up like they would a modern, I could see this happening.

Anyway, it was my word against theres, I got 1 free submission, which I've still not used. Big difference in value between a 2.5 and 1.0 ;-(

herc

Scary story. In this case, by the time the graders saw it, it was probably split. Could have been in receiving, could have been in the prescreen where they count pages and look for resto. I hope you did not press a book like this because that would explain it. If Clink sent it in, I would think they should have discussed it with CGC ?

When you send a book to CGC, I believe they retain the original bag(mylar) and board you used on your submission throughout the whole process. For this reason, I always use an over sized bag and board = no tight fits where the book may catch a corner.

I have learned the same lesson over the years.

I have learned the same lesson over the years.

This is a good point. I had two golden age Wonder Woman books shipped to me in high grade from eBay. During shipment the Mylar had split along the seams and the lower corners were poking out. This caused the corners to tear and my books dropped 2-3 grades. If this went to CGC, I might have blamed them for the damage.

I had a 9.6ish that was damaged in one of the corners. But what I'm not hearing from anyone is the customer service/ownership. In my case, they actually called me (I think Harshen did) and told me they goofed, and made it good. It ended up being graded a 9.2. Luckily, low FMV so no big loss to anyone.

Granted this was probably in 2006ish timeframe, and things might've changed, but I'd like to think they would call it out proactively and make it right. I know the crew there is different now though.

Because shipping a brittle/fragile comic with spine splits is a recipe for disaster?

herc

Consider yourself lucky that you got anything more than a lesson (that you apparently didn't learn) out of this experience.

A recipe for disaster? How so, the comic arrived at comiclink fine, it was shipped to me originally okay as well, nothing to do with shipping.

If a comic has a fragile spine, what you saying, never sell it, have it graded, ship it, always hand deliver only or something? lol

BTW rest of comic was not brittle, it is actually okay, only place delicate was spine

One of my LCS locations got a book back with a perfectly encapsulated

hair on the front cover. The comic was a 9.0, but the hair was a 1.0, still had some gloss, but was totally detached.

I've also had a few come back with a hair. Someone in encapsulation needs to wear a hair net.

"Waiter, there's a hair in my soup!"