• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I wish I had $46,000 right now

47 posts in this topic

I don't know a lot about ashcans but I have seen ashcans with the interior listed for between $30,000 and 5 million so why do you all say this is not worth it? Again, I am just asking because I don't know what ashcans go for but I know what I see on Ebay.

What foreign market was this intended for? Mexico?

It has a 1944 date on it but I'm not sure what market it would have intended for or why.

Most of the famous ash cans were done as prepublication books for copyright reasons. So was this done to protect some copyright for the Spanish markets?

The super hombre name?

I don't know a lot about ashcans but I have seen ashcans with the interior listed for between $30,000 and 5 million so why do you all say this is not worth it? Again, I am just asking because I don't know what ashcans go for but I know what I see on Ebay.

I'm not sure any ashcan has ever sold for that price. Maybe some should, particularly the action 1 if you ask me, but 50k is like top of the market for the best ones last I checked. This is far from that given the 1944 date and foreign market angle (makes an already niche item more niche).

I would suggest more focus on what ashcans have sold for than what they have listed for.

I would suggest more focus on what ashcans have sold for than what they have listed for.

bingo

I wouldn't even buy it for $4,600

You are much more generous than me. I would have to seriously think about it if offered at $100. On second thought, I would pass at $100.

if i got if for my birthday next month, i would be disappointed.

I wouldn't even buy it for $4,600

You are much more generous than me. I would have to seriously think about it if offered at $100. On second thought, I would pass at $100.

if i got if for my birthday next month, i would be disappointed.

:roflmao:

I had a chance to buy this book back in the 90s, but it was just too brittle and the owner wanted way too much at the time.

The current owner is a great guy. He bought the Superman/Super Hombre, Superboy and Supergirl ashcans back in the early 2000s. He loves historical rarities (not just comics but other documents and books) and purchased many rare comics. About 10 years ago we worked out a deal for Superboy and Supergirl. Some of you may remember the piece I wrote describing how difficult it was to make the deal - and the fact that it took me 25 years to finally own the Super family.

AshcanSuperFamily.jpg

He's slowly been selling off his comics. The problem he has is that he paid very high prices that seemed reasonable to him back 15-20 years ago, so he's just trying to get whole.

I started selling my ashcan collection about 7 years ago and just sold the last 3 pieces this spring, but I'm keeping Superman, Superwoman, Superboy, Supergirl, Action Comics and Action Funnies. They're just too cool to sell.

Almost every ashcan you see for sale today came from my collection. It's pretty cool to have owned such historically important rarities.