• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I wish I had $46,000 right now

47 posts in this topic

AdamStrange and Gator, the only problem with me focusing on what ashcans were sold for versus what they are listed for is that I don't know of anyone buying an ashcan except for Gary!!! lol I see them advertised for sale but no one ever buys them so I have no idea what they are worth.

A number of ashcans have sold publicly on heritage and comicconnect. they provide context even if they aren't for the exact same issue.

A number of ashcans have sold publicly on heritage and comicconnect. they provide context even if they aren't for the exact same issue.
yep. Gary's been selling them for the past 7 years as he just posted.

In any event sometimes the truly rare books are worth a ton to someone and nothing to everyone else, so I suspect one never knows beyond paying a price they are willing to (thumbs u

There has been a slabbed NM+ Flash #1 listed on ebay for years now I believe. Has a multi million dollar bin price with B/O. Currently its $5M but don't know what it was in previous listings. I always wondered what the largest bid received was.

There are documented sales of ashcans and the numbers kinda make sense for collectors who seriously follow these rarities. And just like production copies, the more historically important the character - the higher the price. And certified copies sell for more than raw. And high grade for more than low grade - duh. That's why the seller of the Superman-Superhombre is finding it difficult to move - it's just plain ugly and brittle.

I sold the Wonder Woman ashcan (7.5) for $17,000 14 years ago. Today that seems very reasonable. I would imagine it would sell for $30-40K.

I purchased the Superboy and Supergirl ashcans for $16,000 each. Today I estimate each around double (triple?) that price.

The All-Star ashcan traded hands a few years ago for $21,000. Again, that seems reasonable to me (I paid $15,000 in 2002). I would estimate $25-30K today.

The World's Best that's for sale on eBay currently was sold by me in 2000 for $21,000. I believe it's for sale for $35,000 right now.

There's a nice trail of sales for the Action Comics 9.0 that I sold for $18,000 in 2002. It changed hands for $29,000 in 2008 and $50,000 in 2010. I own the only other known copy a cracked 9.2. I would imagine that this book would sell for at least $100K today (since I turned down that figure 3 years ago).

An Action Funnies sold for $15,000 in 2005. A raw VF sold for $10,000 in 2012. I think $20-25K is about right today.

I sold a 9.0 Superman for $37,000 in 2002 and that copy changed hands for $90,000 in 2007. Again, I believe that book today would easily crack 6 figures.

3 copies of the DC Flash ashcan have sold for between $6,500 (9.4) and $11,500 (9.6) during the past decade. I don't see this book selling for $5 million any time soon...

The photo of Steve and me ran in Wizard back in 2001 or so...

ActionComicsAshcanFCBottom.jpg

ActionFunniesAshcanFCBottom.jpg

GaryandSteve.jpg

There are documented sales of ashcans and the numbers kinda make sense for collectors who seriously follow these rarities. And just like production copies, the more historically important the character - the higher the price. And certified copies sell for more than raw. And high grade for more than low grade - duh. That's why the seller of the Superman-Superhombre is finding it difficult to move - it's just plain ugly and brittle.

I sold the Wonder Woman ashcan (7.5) for $17,000 14 years ago. Today that seems very reasonable. I would imagine it would sell for $30-40K.

I purchased the Superboy and Supergirl ashcans for $16,000 each. Today I estimate each around double (triple?) that price.

The All-Star ashcan traded hands a few years ago for $21,000. Again, that seems reasonable to me (I paid $15,000 in 2002). I would estimate $25-30K today.

The World's Best that's for sale on eBay currently was sold by me in 2000 for $21,000. I believe it's for sale for $35,000 right now.

There's a nice trail of sales for the Action Comics 9.0 that I sold for $18,000 in 2002. It changed hands for $29,000 in 2008 and $50,000 in 2010. I own the only other known copy a cracked 9.2. I would imagine that this book would sell for at least $100K today (since I turned down that figure 3 years ago).

An Action Funnies sold for $15,000 in 2005. A raw VF sold for $10,000 in 2012. I think $20-25K is about right today.

I sold a 9.0 Superman for $37,000 in 2002 and that copy changed hands for $90,000 in 2007. Again, I believe that book today would easily crack 6 figures.

3 copies of the DC Flash ashcan have sold for between $6,500 (9.4) and $11,500 (9.6) during the past decade. I don't see this book selling for $5 million any time soon...

The photo of Steve and me ran in Wizard back in 2001 or so...

ActionComicsAshcanFCBottom.jpg

ActionFunniesAshcanFCBottom.jpg

GaryandSteve.jpg

That's a terrific summary of Ashcan values. Thank you!

I don't believe that anyone mentioned this on the Boards, but at the SD Con, Metro had the Double Action #1 ashcan. The cover was the art from Adventure 41, which was also used for at least one other DC ashcan (Flash Comics).

The decades-old controversy over whether Double Action #1 actually exists and what art is on the cover is finally put to rest.

I don't believe that anyone mentioned this on the Boards, but at the SD Con, Metro had the Double Action #1 ashcan. The cover was the art from Adventure 41, which was also used for at least one other DC ashcan (Flash Comics).

The decades-old controversy over whether Double Action #1 actually exists and what art is on the cover is finally put to rest.

Could there be a alternate/second version? Did this sell as I don't see it on their site?

Sorry if I'm being obtuse but I'm not left with clarity.

Did #2 get distributed, do we know? The dates between #1 and #2 are quite close. Could it be that #2 was printed up just as a 'proof of distribution' to the copy office? (If #2 saw retail why have a re-used over. ) So then are they both more or less ashcans? (Perhaps the copy office required additional proof on this title?). Alternatively, if #2 was distributed at retail (noting the 10c price is not necessarily proof) then why don't we see a retail version of #1?

DoubleDoubleAction.jpg

Very cool!

I wonder why it got a NG, since it is a complete copy in itself. Also, why would CGC mention that all 3 edges have been hand-trimmed and assembled at D.C. Comics offices?

It is the same process every other Ashcan went through and none of mine state anything like this on the label.

Wow, Peter - that is amazing! How has no one talked about this in the past week?

So Earthshaker01 was correct when he described it to us a few years ago (and JS didn't mislead me when he told me about it before that).

Pretty important book has surfaced.

DoubleDoubleAction.jpg

Very cool!

I wonder why it got a NG, since it is a complete copy in itself. Also, why would CGC mention that all 3 edges have been hand-trimmed and assembled at D.C. Comics offices?

It is the same process every other Ashcan went through and none of mine state anything like this on the label.

I'm shocked at this book too. Hopefully I'll see it in Chicago next week. Soooo cool!