• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Onsite grading, what do I need to know?

47 posts in this topic

Considering taking a few books to get graded via the onsite program at Baltimore next month. I have never slabbed anything so I don't know all the ins and outs. Looking for tips and what I would expect to pay for getting grades done on site. Is the cost the same? Go easy, noob in the house.

The cost of on-site grading is considerably higher, but the submitter saves on not needing the two-way shipping to partly make up the difference. The real pluses are getting your books done right away, and avoiding the potential for any damage during shipping.

The cost of on-site grading is considerably higher, but the submitter saves on not needing the two-way shipping to partly make up the difference. The real pluses are getting your books done right away, and avoiding the potential for any damage during shipping.

Thank you. I was looking for pricing but Bird answered below.

I believe it is $25 for a modern with SS $10 more.

Thanks, it would be copies of New Mutants 98 so I believe those are modern comics.

What is SS?

Signature Series.

Ah, thank you. My only signed comics are Bone 1 and 2 that but I understand that CGC won't certify those so that isn't an option. Maybe I should see if Rob L. is at Baltimore and get a NM98 copy or two signed if he is there

I believe it is $25 for a modern with SS $10 more.

Thanks, it would be copies of New Mutants 98 so I believe those are modern comics.

There is a value limit on the Moderns (200 ?) = you should probably submit a NM 98 in at least an Economy Tier. I believe Economy is 50.00 onsite..

Not sure I follow Bob. How does the submit option work? Do I have to decide what tier to submit it? That can't impact the grade can it? If the grading is done on site I can't image what my choices for submission are ... puzzling. The NM98 copies are extremely nice and I suspect they will receive very high grades based on input I have received.

Not sure I follow Bob. How does the submit option work? Do I have to decide what tier to submit it? That can't impact the grade can it? If the grading is done on site I can't image what my choices for submission are ... puzzling. The NM98 copies are extremely nice and I suspect they will receive very high grades based on input I have received.

Yes, you decide what tier to use when you submit. It does not impact the grade, only the financials.

Yes, you decide what tier to use when you submit. It does not impact the grade, only the financials.

So why would I choose anything but the lowest priced tier? I thought on-site grading meant that I would get it back at the show. Is this not the case?

Here's the tiers and prices from last year....

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4759&

So why would I choose anything but the lowest priced tier? I thought on-site grading meant that I would get it back at the show. Is this not the case?

The modern tier is for books $200 or less. I believe what bomber-bob is saying is that NM 98 would be greater than $200, which bumps it up to the economy tier.

You don't pay an invoice fee for onsite grading either.

In regards to the tiers, onsite grading is no different than regular grading through the mail.

You need to pick a tier for the books you're submitting - the Modern tier, which is $30 onsite ($40 if the book is signed), is for books newer than 1975 with a value of less than $200.

The Economy tier is for books of any age with a value up to $300. The Standard tier is for books of any age with a value up to $1,000. Etc.

In general, these numbers shouldn't be considered hard - I've seen plenty of people submit books under the modern tier that they know have a value of more than $200 (including 100s of copies of NM #98). But $200 is the maximum you can put on a form for books subbed under the modern tier - that's the value they're insured for whilst in CGC's possession and that's the amount you'll get back if the book gets damaged or lost.

What CGC reserves the right to do is to bump you to a different tier if the value you list is completely off compared to the true FMV of the book you receive back. For instance, you submit a Bone #1 under the modern tier and lists the value as $200 - it comes back as a blue label CGC 9.8 which gives it a FMV of around $3-4,000. Once you come to pick up the book, you'll most likely be presented with a note saying it's been bumped to the Standard or Express tier and you'll be charged the difference in grading fees before it's released to you.

Curious. How many books are you allowed to submit at one time for onsite?

There's no hard & fast rule - it depends on the show & how quickly the submission queue fills up.

Last year at WW Chicago, they limited dealers to 50 books pr. dealer account prior to show opening and dealers weren't then allowed to submit any more books for the first 2 days. Non-dealers were allowed to submit as many books as they wanted on the first day, and then it got capped to X books pr. submitter for the following days.

There's only one thing that never changes about an onsite show - if you want your books done, get to the CGC booth as soon as the doors open.