• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why doesn't CGC labels talk about Spidey's 2nd/3rd appearances?

27 posts in this topic

I noticed that they make note of Green Goblin's / Doc Oct's 3rd appearances. Any reason why they don't call out ASM1 as Spidey's 2nd appearance and ASM2 as his 3rd?

CGC's labeling has always been inconsistent.

One possible reason could be that Spidey's 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc apps are no brainers, whereas the 2nd and 3rd apps of characters like Doc Oak and Green Goblin are not so obvious.

That's merely a guess though.

I noticed that they make note of Green Goblin's / Doc Oct's 3rd appearances. Any reason why they don't call out ASM1 as Spidey's 2nd appearance and ASM2 as his 3rd?

One possible reason could be that Spidey's 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc apps are no brainers, whereas the 2nd and 3rd apps of characters like Doc Oak and Green Goblin are not so obvious.

I think you're probably correct. No need to really do it on the heroes/guys with their own titles.

Do they do it on older GA books? I know they will call out something like "Batman 2nd Cover App" on Detective.

Interesting, my gut feel was on the other side of the fence...

I had wondered if it was because his 2nd/3rd appearances were not known for sure (because of the books outside of ASM that may have been happening at the same time).

With AF15 being as close as we have in the SA to some of the GA books with Bats/Supes, I would think calling out a confirmed 2nd/3rd appearance would be relevant for such a superhero.

Interesting, my gut feel was on the other side of the fence...

I had wondered if it was because his 2nd/3rd appearances were not known for sure (because of the books outside of ASM that may have been happening at the same time).

With AF15 being as close as we have in the SA to some of the GA books with Bats/Supes, I would think calling out a confirmed 2nd/3rd appearance would be relevant for such a superhero.

I don't think there's any controversy surrounding his 2nd/3rd appearances.

Also, there was a lot of discussion surrounding this topic awhile back here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6473823

Yes, that was the same thread that popped up in my search.

I suppose the question is whether or not it's significant enough for CGC to have on their labels. I personally feel that if they have stated "early Spidey appearance" on some books, his 2nd and 3rd appearance are indeed relevant.

If you put up ASM #1 and AF #15 side by side and asked average non-comic Joe what they would think is Spidey's first appearance i wonder how most would choose? As his 2nd appearance is in the first issue of his own solo title, I could see merit to marking his second appearance on the label of ASM #1...

May I borrow that fro? I always wanted to be a super villain. lol

I wonder what they do with the early LSH appearances? Overstreet calls out what, the first 13??? (I really think the guide actually does call out the first 13.)

Most likely because the initial appearances of the Legion were scattered on an ad hoc infrequent basis throughout various DC titles with no apparent rhyme or reason. :gossip:

Spidey, on the other hand basically started in AF 15 and then went straight into his own ASM title which was published on a consecutive and consistent basis.

Hence, the order of the Spidey appearances is pretty much self evident, but definitely not so with the early Legion appearances. hm

Sorry sqeggs, Legion of Superheroes.

Lou Fine, I realize that's likely the Overstreet reason; and thank God if one is trying to collect those early Legion appearances, but I'm wondering how many of those CGC calls out on the labels? Sorry I was vague. I do think the guide calls out the first 13; I just wonder if cgc labels all 13 as well.

Sorry sqeggs, Legion of Superheroes.

Lou Fine, I realize that's likely the Overstreet reason; and thank God if one is trying to collect those early Legion appearances, but I'm wondering how many of those CGC calls out on the labels? Sorry I was vague. I do think the guide calls out the first 13; I just wonder if cgc labels all 13 as well.

Ah, of course. Should have known, but I was trying to think of an individual hero with those initials.

I wonder what they do with the early LSH appearances? Overstreet calls out what, the first 13??? (I really think the guide actually does call out the first 13.)

Most likely because the initial appearances of the Legion were scattered on an ad hoc infrequent basis throughout various DC titles with no apparent rhyme or reason. :gossip:

Spidey, on the other hand basically started in AF 15 and then went straight into his own ASM title which was published on a consecutive and consistent basis.

Hence, the order of the Spidey appearances is pretty much self evident, but definitely not so with the early Legion appearances. hm

Same question was asked a few years ago.