• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crack

88 posts in this topic

A few years later I found out about the Cosmic Aeroplane collection and how to identify them. The Torch 23 is a no-doubter, check marks, notes and all. When

ht23.jpg

rawtorch23.jpeg

Welcome back to the wild and wonderful world of raw mylar comic books! (thumbs u

I knew some good would eventually come out of that CGC bad case fiasco there. ;)

Why do you say that the Torch 23 is a no-doubter in terms of being a Cosmic Aeroplane copy? Are there possibly some books from this collection that do not have any of the signature check marks and notes on them, as far as you are aware of? ???

The speculation that I started cracking stuff simply because of CGC's difficulties with the redesign is not really correct. It was certainly an easy starting point but I had been considering doing this for a while. Just as motivational was receiving the four Church More Funs from Mark Zaid in old first state holders that were all scratched up and the books were able to slide around. I considered sending them in for reholdering, then thought about how much I wanted to see them raw. Cracked them out and then decided to crack out a few other More Funs and Adventures that I already had. From there I talked to a couple of other boardies who crack stuff to get an idea of their parameters. A big sticking point was a Zip 10 in 9.8. As much as I want to I just can't bring myself to crack it. I have cracked a few 9.6 books besides the More Fun 70 and 76. But pretty much anything 9.4 of less has been fair game. I haven't broken out many 1950s books yet. Mostly the big fat golden age books.

This thread and MrBedrock's post-cracking exuberance has been a big inspiration to me. I have just boxed 200 books to send to CGC for slabbing so I can crack them out after I receive them. :cloud9:

This thread and MrBedrock's post-cracking exuberance has been a big inspiration to me. I have just boxed 200 books to send to CGC for slabbing so I can crack them out after I receive them. :cloud9:

Heaven :luhv:

I didn't start this post to try to convince anyone that raw is better than slabbed, or vice versa. I think you should collect in whatever way makes you the happiest. I have a bunch of books that I can't bring myself to crack out yet, either because I may consider selling them or I feel that the holder has an extreme effect on the value. But if you are considering cracking and are comfortable doing it then by all means free those funnybooks. There is definitely an extra joy in holding them and flipping through the pages.

but raw is better than slabbed... :baiting:

Seriously though, it's amazing to see all those beautiful books in mylar. I can only imagine how much fun you've had rediscovering your incredible collection.

Did your collection of Gaines copies get cracked out too?

I haven't cracked out any of those. I think my reasoning is along the lines of reading copies being so easy to come by.

.... they're also a bit more fragile than those GA Phatties....... you can drive a truck over those early GA books and not hurt them much. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....I've got a GA pedigree book that I'm dying to break out, but just can't decide if I can actually afford to keep it ...... and this thread is NOT helping :taptaptap:

Heaven :luhv:

And all this ticket to Paradise will cost is a measly $20k. :kidaround: