• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revel in History - Post your Platinums Here!!!!
3 3

323 posts in this topic

This thread spawns off of the "Funny Book" thread. Although this is "technically" the Golden Age section, I presume no one will fault me for wanting to expose everyone to a little bit more of comic history and turn our attention to the Platinum Age (1883-1938, according to OS). In fact, since a handful of the top 100 GA books listed in OS are actually Platinum books, no doubt I can get away with this without question! thumbsup2.gif

In fact, this raises a question for discussion. Why create these separate eras of comic books in order to then simply ignore their application? Why are a vast number of 1933-1938 (pre-Action #1) books treated more like GA than Platinum? If you look at the fantastic articles co-authored by Beerbohm and Olson in the current OS, they do the same. It is certainly more understandable as to why, for example, Detective #1-26 might be considered part of the GA, but Famous Funnies from 1933? Does there need to be yet a new specific era designed to address 1933-1937/8? In OS #20 (1991), it referred to these years as the "pre-Golden Age period". I offer that for discussion herein. popcorn.gif

But I digress. I invite everyone to post their favorite "Platinum Age" books. And for purposes of this thread, I am defining Platinum as starting with Funnies on Parade nn (1933) and ending with anything published up through May 1938.

I'll start off with a few (apologies in advance for some repostings).

FamousFunnies.jpg

NewBookofComics1.jpg

CircusComicRiot1.jpg

NewComics9.jpg

NewComics10.jpg

MoreFun11LV.jpg

MoreFun19LV.jpg

MoreFun29LV.jpg

Unbelievable #5! Impossible act to follow, but I want to pitch in too.

I posted my "A" copy of the book below before, but here is the file copy

that I upgraded from. The stickers were on the mylar and the signature is by

the editor. Print run for the March 1937 issue was 94,782.

mmv26_900.jpg

That New Comics looks pretty nice for being as old as it is!

Do I see a resemblance to Ferdinand the Bull?

That's a quintessential image of Minnie on that cover. Outstanding copy for a MMM, even if it's just the backup.

Edited by adamstrange

Another Platinum book from the fabled "S" collection:

782271-NewComics8%282%29.JPG

Does anybody know the orgins of this so-called "Black S" collection? I have seen this mark on a lot of early GA books and they are all virtually in the high grade range.

Any info on this would be useful.

Does anybody know the orgins of this so-called "Black S" collection? I have seen this mark on a lot of early GA books and they are all virtually in the high grade range.

I do not, but i have a number of them and they are stunning books....Got them thru Mark Wilson....i thought he got them from north or south carolina.....jon

This thread spawns off of the "Funny Book" thread. Although this is "technically" the Golden Age section, I presume no one will fault me for wanting to expose everyone to a little bit more of comic history and turn our attention to the Platinum Age (1883-1938, according to OS). In fact, since a handful of the top 100 GA books listed in OS are actually Platinum books, no doubt I can get away with this without question! thumbsup2.gif

In fact, this raises a question for discussion. Why create these separate eras of comic books in order to then simply ignore their application? Why are a vast number of 1933-1938 (pre-Action #1) books treated more like GA than Platinum? If you look at the fantastic articles co-authored by Beerbohm and Olson in the current OS, they do the same. It is certainly more understandable as to why, for example, Detective #1-26 might be considered part of the GA, but Famous Funnies from 1933? Does there need to be yet a new specific era designed to address 1933-1937/8? In OS #20 (1991), it referred to these years as the "pre-Golden Age period". I offer that for discussion herein. popcorn.gif

But I digress. I invite everyone to post their favorite "Platinum Age" books. And for purposes of this thread, I am defining Platinum as starting with Funnies on Parade nn (1933) and ending with anything published up through May 1938.

I'll start off with a few (apologies in advance for some repostings).

Mark- don't get wrapped up in nomeclature...but to give you my view.....This time period of 1933-1938 i call the 'pre-hero' period (before Superman, not Atlas books from Marvel)....These books starting with Funnies on Parade were generally of what became the 'typical' comicbook size with slick covers...(i know there were a number of paper stock covers).....before the metalurgical tag....i just (and still) refer to these as my pre-hero books....Funnies (contrast the wonderful tabloid 5 cent ones from 1929 and 1930), Tip Top, King, Famous Funnies, Popular, the National books....etc. jon

I do not, but i have a number of them and they are stunning books....Got them thru Mark Wilson....i thought he got them from north or south carolina.....jon

I guess this collection was sold off by the dealer before the big craze hit on the pedigrees. Any bets that if this collection surfaced today, it would be deemed a pedigree by the marketplace. That's an absolutely stunning book with full colour gloss from from way way back in 1936. cloud9.gif

I am just happy that I have a couple of the early Mystery Men and a couple of the early Wonderworld books from this collection. Good thing it wasn't a pedigree since I was able to get them at reasonable non-pedigree prices. takeit.gif

My latest Platinum addition.

Comics #2 (1937) CGC 9.2 Lost Valley pedigree cloud9.gif

Gotta love a 9.2 book from 70 years ago!!! No surprise but this is the highest certified copy, but there is another one at the same grade!!

893whatthe.gif

851172-Comics2.jpg

I also picked this nice Gerber 7 beauty up from the last Heritage Signature Auction. Graded as a VG. I am using their scan as the book is oversized and doesn't fit on my scanner.

Not an easy book to find, especially unrestored.

851178-MoreFun7.jpg

Gotta love a 9.2 book from 70 years ago!!! No surprise but this is the highest certified copy, but there is another one at the same grade!!

893whatthe.gif

Church copy gossip.gif

Here's one and it's a 9.4 with white pages!

780343-barker1.jpg

Wow! I only just checked out this thread as I'm not much of a platinum age fan, but that copy is amazing for a comic book published in 1901 893applaud-thumb.gif