• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Look at this beautiful 9.8...

55 posts in this topic

I continue to ask here and still haven't gotten an answer....

WHAT WAS THE CHANGE TO HOLDER? IS THE BOOK NAKED IN THE OUTER WELL WITH THE MYLAR? ARE THEY STILL USING PRESSURE TO HOLD THE BOOK IN PLACE?

Your answer is posted here - on the first page of Comics General. Stickied for all to see.

WHAT WAS THE CHANGE TO HOLDER? IS THE BOOK NAKED IN THE OUTER WELL WITH THE MYLAR? ARE THEY STILL USING PRESSURE TO HOLD THE BOOK IN PLACE?

Your answer is posted here - on the first page of Comics General. Stickied for all to see.

Thanks GT. Information on the internet is suggesting that they may be using any number of holders or processes, and rest assured if I don't know EXACTLY how they're doing this I can't feel comfortable submitting.

Unfortunately, the answer you posted is no answer at all. So, unless my neuron capacitors are failing, we're all subjugated to thought control now or are we just mushrooms? So......I guess that leaves me high and dry. Recalculating....

Def_Leppard_-_High_%27n%27_Dry.jpg

Thanks GT. Information on the internet is suggesting that they may be using any number of holders or processes, and rest assured if I don't know EXACTLY how they're doing this I can't feel comfortable submitting.

Unfortunately, the answer you posted is no answer at all. So......I guess that leaves me high and dry. Wow I picked a bad time to come back into this. Recalculating....

_________________________________________________________________________________

I don't know what information you have been told or what you have read.

But I can say the following, with absolute certainty:

The 4/4/2016 CGC case with 2 sheets of mylar holding books in place, in lieu of an inner well, has been completely DISCONTINUED.

Every single book that CGC is grading (as of 6/2016) is being encapsulated in the revised holder, WITH AN INNER WELL.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Honestly, if CGC cannot put the latest information on their website, I'm forced to scour places where the feedback isn't necessarily positive. I'd rather have the full scoop from the folks giving me said product and service. If I listened to CGC's web site, I would be believing Matt Nelson that they are still using the mylar sheet / pressure thing.

Since they have had a supplier problem, what is this inner well made of? I may have misheard but thought that there wasn't another supplier of Barex....

Are they still applying pressure to the case?

Have they discontinued micro chamber practice?

I was hopeful they could keep with the original design, as it would seem to me that they could save a ton of time that way...but the book's conservation should be goal #1. (Which promotes buyer confidence. Which promotes submissions.) It looked problematic trying to get a book out of the cases without the case....more force required, and I could see accidental book damage as a result. If they're not using pressure anymore b/c of the innerwell being restored into the mix then we're more or less back where we started before the change, I think.

Honestly, if CGC cannot put the latest information on their website, I'm forced to scour places where the feedback isn't necessarily positive. I'd rather have the full scoop from the folks giving me said product and service. If I listened to CGC's web site, I would be believing Matt Nelson that they are still using the mylar sheet / pressure thing.

Since they have had a supplier problem, what is this inner well made of? I may have misheard but thought that there wasn't another supplier of Barex....

I was hopeful they could keep with the original design, as it would seem to me that they could save a ton of time that way...but the book's conservation should be goal #1. (Which promotes buyer confidence. Which promotes submissions.) It looked problematic trying to get a book out of the cases without the case....more force required, and I could see accidental book damage as a result. If they're not using pressure anymore b/c of the innerwell being restored into the mix then we're more or less back where we started before the change, I think.

All of this information is on CGC's main web site, as well as this board, which is owned by....CGC.

Dunno why or how you had to scour the internet to determine this, all of the relevant facts are on cgccomics.com....and in the Stickied post on this forum, as well.

Unfortunately, the answer you posted is no answer at all. So, unless my neuron capacitors are failing, we're all subjugated to thought control now or are we just mushrooms? So......I guess that leaves me high and dry. Recalculating....

300eck4.jpg

None of my questions are explicitly answered on the CGC main site. The link in the forum is a general statement, and didn't answer my explicit questions. Keep in mind I was not here in April until just a week ago, so I have ZERO context on anything here that was deleted.

1) It's still Barex.

2) No.

3) No.

Happy now?

1) It's still Barex.

2) No.

3) No.

Happy now?

Actually called Matt this morning and he confirmed 2 and 3. Since the company that makes Barex is defunct, they are now using PETG, same as CBCS.

Thanks. My immediate concerns appear to be resolved. Thanks mschmidt for helping to answer.

As an aside, any tips folks have on cracking these new slabs is appreciated. I looked at the Bedrock video and it looks very tough now.

1) It's still Barex.

2) No.

3) No.

Happy now?

Actually called Matt this morning and he confirmed 2 and 3. Since the company that makes Barex is defunct, they are now using PETG, same as CBCS.

Thanks. My immediate concerns appear to be resolved. Thanks mschmidt for helping to answer.

As an aside, any tips folks have on cracking these new slabs is appreciated. I looked at the Bedrock video and it looks very tough now.

Pick up this tool from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Artifact-Keychain-Tool-22-41770/dp/B001349MD8

Insert at the top or bottom of the case and work your way around.

1) It's still Barex.

2) No.

3) No.

Happy now?

Right, I couldn't remember the name of the replacement for Barex when I responded to you yesterday.

Actually wrote another reply to you,addressing your comments and I also cited that CGC was using one of three materials:

Either Barex, a 100% archival safe replacement for Barex........or the collected tears of Marky316, crystalized and put to good use ;)

:rim shot:

I accidentally backspaced the post while editing a typo and lost that post.

Sooo...effing... frustrating. :pullhair:

It was late at night and I was too annoyed so I just re-typed a shorter reply.Sorry I wasn't clearer earlier but welcome back to the boards :foryou:

Awesome thanks all for the input. That tool looks useful and looks like it should be easier than a flathead screwdriver. My initial thoughts were that the reason for it being tough getting in was because of the pressure, but Matt told me that it's actually just an overall different sealing process with the new cases.

Yipee, almost my whole collection is now 9.8 or better! I'm rich!

with that said, scanners, reflection etc. do seem to maybe create those streaks that look like scratches, but that doesn't explain what look like multiple spine dings.

given how horrible the scan looks, if the books is actually pristine, you'd think the seller might say something. he is a pretty decent size seller.