• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Look at this beautiful 9.8...

55 posts in this topic

Foil covers scan terribly - I'd venture a guess and say these books look just fine in hand.

Seriously?

Sure. Scanner artifact can make things appear that aren't' there in hand.

We've had that problem with grading contests in the past where scans show spine tics, etc when they are not present on the book. I specifically remember people grading a book a 7.5 when it was actually a 9.4 or a 9.6.

You can't grade a book accurately from a scan and if that cover is reflective, it's going to be even worse than just a regular cover.

These new silver foil covers from DC don't scan very well because of the way they reflect light.

They do better when they're just photographed. :)

There are definite spine stresses to cause those reflections on that Bat 1.

Can't tell if they break color or not because of the reflectivity though.

But there is SOMETHING causing uneven reflection on that spine (and the apparent scratches to the foil cover which appear identical in both copies).

But there's something there making the Bat look 7.5.

The bottom staples on both books look off as well. Doesn't look good at all. I'd be sending those back just to see what they come back as a second time.

So, you'd send them back to see if they came back with a lower grade? (shrug)

Yes. I wouldn't be comfortable having those in my personal collection if they looked like that in hand. If they came back lower, so be it but I'd be curious.

The bottom staples on both books look off as well. Doesn't look good at all. I'd be sending those back just to see what they come back as a second time.

Sounds smart. Pay a 9.8 price, pay shipping and grading fees so that it comes back lower. :insane:

Do you have the books in hand yet? The contrast on the scans is jacked up. I'm with Resurrection.

Sounds smart. Pay a 9.8 price, pay shipping and grading fees so that it comes back lower. :insane:

Do you have the books in hand yet? The contrast on the scans is jacked up. I'm with Resurrection.

No. If I submitted those two myself then I would drive to their office and have them re-graded with whatever other books I was dropping off. :makepoint: Sure, I would be curious. I wouldn't be doing it to re-sell the books lol

Yes. I wouldn't be comfortable having those in my personal collection if they looked like that in hand. If they came back lower, so be it but I'd be curious.

Curiosity can kill you. :devil: