• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars Marvel Cover prices

45 posts in this topic

I assume folks on this board saw the closing price on the eBay auctio for the cover to issue #45 to the original Marvel Star Wars series ... I thought the result was jaw-dropping!

I know Star Wars Marvel art is in high demand and has been so for some time, but $12K for a fairly middling cover without even a lightsaber?? WOW.

Just wondering what other boardies think and is this an outlier or the further raising of the bar on SW OA prices..

I assume folks on this board saw the closing price on the eBay auctio for the cover to issue #45 to the original Marvel Star Wars series ... I thought the result was jaw-dropping!

I know Star Wars Marvel art is in high demand and has been so for some time, but $12K for a fairly middling cover without even a lightsaber?? WOW.

Just wondering what other boardies think and is this an outlier or the further raising of the bar on SW OA prices.

Would I buy that cover for $12K? Hell, no. But, as I said to a friend this week, "I think any Marvel Star Wars cover would fetch very healthy money at this point after the fanboy jizz-fest following Episode VII last year." I'm not saying that a meh cover like this should get $12K, but I'm not even remotely surprised that it did, given the bubblicious environment for OA and the resurgence of interest in Star Wars over the past year.

This may have also benefited from being the most exciting thing (relatively speaking, of course) to pop up on eBay in a while. Even a C '70s/'80s Marvel cover stands out in the wasteland that's been eBay for the past several years. Meanwhile, this would have been buried under all the quality lots from an average HA auction.

Still...what does it say that a dealer looks to have been the underbidder at $12K?:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=191934726740&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

http://www.ebay.com/sch/valnstevez.aol/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

This may have also benefited from being the most exciting thing (relatively speaking, of course) to pop up on eBay in a while. Even a C '70s/'80s Marvel cover stands out in the wasteland that's been eBay for the past several years. Meanwhile, this would have been buried under all the quality lots from an average HA auction.

Still...what does it say that a dealer looks to have been the underbidder at $12K?:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=191934726740&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

That's an excellent point about eBay actually being a great platform for this type of OA. There is so much out there that seeing vintage Marvel Star Wars OA, even if its not exactly stellar, pop up there does get people's attention.

Felix,

Great catch on the underbidder match up with the Donnellys. If they are willing to pay that amount, then I would assume it would hit their website (had they won) at three to four times that amount. Could you imagine a Hama Star Wars cover for $38K-$50K in today's market?

Ciao!

PRC

Felix,

Great catch on the underbidder match up with the Donnellys. If they are willing to pay that amount, then I would assume it would hit their website (had they won) at three to four times that amount. Could you imagine a Hama Star Wars cover for $38K-$50K in today's market?

Ciao!

PRC

And that price going UP by $10k every time someone makes the mistake of "inquiring" about it.

How can you tell under-bidder on eBay?

You can't directly.

But if you do some sleuthing as Felix did you'll notice that the underbidder and the CoolLines selling i.d. have the same exact number of FB. hm

Nice sleuthing!

Felix,

Ciao!

PRC

something tells me they hard a mark already lined up

This makes me long for the days when I paid $350 for the cover to Star Wars Treasury #1....then sold it at auction 4 years later for ComiCon money, doh!

Awful story

We all have them :(

Right? I don't want a time machine to go buy comics off the rack, I want one to go back and convince myself not to sell cool stuff!

Felix,

Ciao!

PRC

Not necessarily (and likely not based on their business model). I have noticed that they bid on (and have seen them be the underbidder on) a number of 70s and 80s covers and better pages (ie, pages that they view as having a big upside for mark-up). And they always snipe at the very end when they bid (they never seem to put in an early bid).

Just wondering what other boardies think and is this an outlier or the further raising of the bar on SW OA prices.

Would I buy that cover for $12K? Hell, no. But, as I said to a friend this week, "I think any Marvel Star Wars cover would fetch very healthy money at this point after the fanboy jizz-fest following Episode VII last year." I'm not saying that a meh cover like this should get $12K, but I'm not even remotely surprised that it did, given the bubblicious environment for OA and the resurgence of interest in Star Wars over the past year.

Jizz-fest lol Star Wars <3

Is it fair to say that star ways has as big ? Bigger reach that batman, Spider-Man superman?

I can see people paying big money for a Star Wars cover , how often do you see them come up...almost never.

I got my infantino cover within a minute of it appearing for sale, since then, publicly have seen one in a clink auction and this one. Maybe there are some changing hands privately but good luck getting a classic one...maybe this is the best you can hope for...

This makes me long for the days when I paid $350 for the cover to Star Wars Treasury #1....then sold it at auction 4 years later for ComiCon money, doh!

Awful story

We all have them :(

Not all of us. I would love to have been buying art at those prices

Felix,

Ciao!

PRC

Not necessarily (and likely not based on their business model). I have noticed that they bid on (and have seen them be the underbidder on) a number of 70s and 80s covers and better pages (ie, pages that they view as having a big upside for mark-up). And they always snipe at the very end when they bid (they never seem to put in an early bid).

true, just seems like a lot of cash to lay out just to wait for the unsuspecting noob hobbyist.

Felix,

Ciao!

PRC

true, just seems like a lot of cash to lay out just to wait for the unsuspecting noob hobbyist.

That is their business model! Hold and sell at their price....

I don't remember off the top of my head, but I know they have been the underbidder more than once on stuff that I've auctioned off, maybe 4-6 times over the last 5 years or so.