• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars Marvel Cover prices

45 posts in this topic

I was referring to it not being their business model to line up a potential buyer before they would bid on Ebay.

And yes they buy from Ebay and from auctions and then offer such pieces for a mark-up (sometimes only a few days later).

"He or she who assumes the risk (of buying) earns the reward (profits) when reselling"

I've seen many greedy folks who know nothing about the market, enter, buy to horde or hold hostage, only to end up having to take a loss when nobody wants to play their economic game.

The SW 45 cover may seem like a big price but I remember when those post ESB issues came out- the book was huge back then. No idea on circulation but it was a big deal- and now some of the kids who grew up with those issues are likely making coin and feeling the pull of nostalgia.

I'm just glad I've got my SW 44 page.

I see Albert Moy listed some Star Wars John Cassaday covers for sale. Two of them priced at $25,000 each.

Anyone familiar with the Cassaday market? Seems anything Star Wars is getting hot I suppose.

I see Albert Moy listed some Star Wars John Ca ssaday covers for sale. Two of them priced at $25,000 each.

Anyone familiar with the Cassaday market? Seems anything Star Wars is getting hot I suppose.

Damn hoarders

I see Albert Moy listed some Star Wars John Cassaday covers for sale. Two of them priced at $25,000 each.

I just about did a spit take when I saw those numbers. His X-Men covers have generally gone for a fraction of that price. It may not be Star Wars, but that X-Men run was the best selling comic on the racks at the time and is still pretty beloved.

I was taken aback by the price tags on those Cassady Star Wars covers myself. I thought it may have something to do with the recent SW cover sale. (shrug) I don't know anything about the Cassady market other than what Mr. Moy has listed, so is Star Wars that hot? I will argue though that Star Wars has a larger appeal and a deep-pocket buyer doesn't have to read comics to be interested in this type of art. Hollywood money perhaps?

And not that you can't look yourself, but JC Star Wars pages is about 2X as much as his Cap pages.

Albert is charging tommorow's price today for those Star Wars covers. Plain and simple.

They're definatley not priced to sell right away, otherwise within the hour at least one would have sold upon it's debut on his website.

Maybe John, who he reps instructed Albert, that he as the artist wanted to keep the covers, but those were the prices it would take to take 'em from his hands.

The prices are not unreasonable per se since they are one of a kind, but had I seen the covers, and knowing the artist's general pricing, without a price tag, I'd have valued them around the $5k mark.

Personally, I'm not enamored by anything and everything Star Wars, eventually the cream will rise to the top and collectors will realize they can't and shouldn't own everything with a light sabre on it, and in fact there will be a lot of mediocre product out there as well as masterpieces, and just because it's Star Wars doesn't increase the value once that supply/demand chain corrects itself and buyers pass on stuff priced unreasonably or rendered with substandard aesthetics.

Don't they do a whole bunch of variants for these Star Wars issues? I know the Cassaday versions are the "standard" covers, but I would imagine some of the appeal is diluted when it isn't just one piece of cover art per issue, but rather half a dozen. Obviously this is a fairly recent phenomenon and it will be interesting to see how that affects OA cover prices going forward.

I just about did a spit take when I saw those numbers. His X-Men covers have generally gone for a fraction of that price. It may not be Star Wars, but that X-Men run was the best selling comic on the racks at the time and is still pretty beloved.

I did the same! I think Rick is right, perhaps John isn't really looking to sell these, but if someone wanted to pay the premium, he'd let them go. I own one of Cassaday's X-Men covers (which I love), but if it could command even half that ask, I'd let it go tomorrow.

Mark Brooks did a series of variants that were absolutely spectacular paintings, having seen them in person. They were all about 4-6K and were massive (16x20" at minimum.)

This was 5-6K and blows away John's covers, in my opinion.

3bd29433ecbc80ccc08557646674d03b.jpg

Do you know if they all sold?

I know George Lucas bought the complete collection of Mark Brooks' Han Solo run, including the interior stories.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-george-lucas-wants-916537

Issues 1 and 2 complete actually.

Looking at the interiors for 3 I'd be shocked if he didn't want those too.

Originally it was stated that Brooks wasn't under any contractual obligation to sell to Lucas, but I am sure between the compliment and the compensation it was an easy decision regardless.

I thought I heard that Lucas has 1st rights of refusal to purchase art, however I'm not sure how "rate" (price) is dictated.

I do think an artist is in the "don't bite the hand that feeds you" situation, not to gauge Lucas just because he has billions.

Lucas, after all, I believe, has the rights to say "yay" or "nay" to whether an artist is approved to render Star Wars licensed artwork as well as what images are approved for publication, so it would be in an artist's best interests to be in his good graces for future work.

Plus, most artists are fanboys at heart, so probably get a bit of a thrill knowing that the creator of Star Wars is proudly displaying their artwork, and the press/publicity around that status may boost that artist's career opportunities as well too.

So, welling to Lucas at fair value rates if not, possibly even gifting it to him would be a "win/win" situation and strategic for an artist.