• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Shipping from the States: I am Canadian

22 posts in this topic

Hello probably fellow Canadians,

I am going to run a sale soon on the boards. I live in Vancouver, but I am going to ship from Washington State. I did this the last time I had a sale. However, I cannot remember the name (letter-number combination) of the customs form that I need to fill out to bring all the packages across the border. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

All I need is documents or copies of recipits in what I had brought from the states. Took them with me on my trip over border to pick up parcels. Then return to Canada customs, I showed that papers. They looked at the amount I spent. They can decide to let me go or pay customs duty fee, based on the numbers they feel is a lot.

I had made many trips since then with no problem. Had paid customs which was cheap.

However... IF you are bringing items from Canada into the states. Then the U.S. Customs will make you go to the customs office, stand in line for your turn. They will inspect your car and check your items.

If you are lucky, you will only pay $10.50 U.S. Customs fee, they stamp you a recipit and you are free to go.

If not, please ask Greggy about what happened with his good buddy aardvark88 ! lol

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the responses so far. I need to explain myself better. The form I need is an American Customs form, as I am essentially importing comics to the US. I will be driving from Vancouver to Washington State with my car full of comics all packed up in USPS Priority boxes, so I can mail them from the States.

It is an American customs form that I need.

I think you will need more than one form. From what you had said in bringing books in your car... That is a lot.

Here is the link: U.S. Import forms and info

Good luck with that. And you still may have to pay the $10.50 customs fee. Happened to me few times upon importing the books into the States.

:foryou:

I think you will need more than one form. From what you had said in bringing books in your car... That is a lot.

Good luck with that. And you still may have to pay the $10.50 customs fee. Happened to me few times upon importing the books into the States.

Thank you.

I think it is the following form that needs to be filled out,

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/CBP%20Form%207501_0.pdf

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the responses so far. I need to explain myself better. The form I need is an American Customs form, as I am essentially importing comics to the US. I will be driving from Vancouver to Washington State with my car full of comics all packed up in USPS Priority boxes, so I can mail them from the States.

There's no "form", your commercial invoices and the optional NAFTA certificate are all the documentation you require for US clearance. It's possible you've gotten lucky in the past and had a CBP officer allow you to bring it through as mail (using a PS2976/CN22) but that's intended for int'l mail. hm

I assume you're self declaring and it's possible you used the old 3461 form

Here's a 200 page :D guide for you to look if you want to try and find the form you're looking for..

Thank you.

:eek:

If Customs wants you to complete the actual entry (7501 = customs entry) you might run into some issues with collecting SSN's etc.. from your buyers. If each order is less than $200 USD each should qualify for Section 321 release, in most cases they would probably even let it slide up to the informal threshold see pages 8-10 in the better (briefer) informed compliance :shy:guide.

Thank you.

If Customs wants you to complete the actual entry (7501 = customs entry) you might run into some issues with collecting SSN's etc.. from your buyers. If each order is less than $200 USD each should qualify for Section 321 release, in most cases they would probably even let it slide up to the informal threshold see pages 8-10 in the better (briefer) informed compliance :shy:guide.

ebFpUgN.jpg

Why don't you ship from Canada instead?

From my understanding US buyers don't pay customs or import fees (like we do when we buy books from the US) - someone correct me on this if I am wrong????

that's true, yes. But my guess is the OP wants to save on the shipping expenses, b/c like everything else, it's more expensive from Canada.

Hello Everyone,

There's no "form", your commercial invoices and the optional NAFTA certificate are all the documentation you require for US clearance. It's possible you've gotten lucky in the past and had a CBP officer allow you to bring it through as mail (using a PS2976/CN22) but that's intended for int'l mail. hm

I assume you're self declaring and it's possible you used the old 3461 form

Here's a 200 page :D guide for you to look if you want to try and find the form you're looking for..

Thanks. I know. That guide kills me. I think I have the forms that I need for what is called informal customs something.

Thank you.

Perfect. This is what I think I need to do. Use the 7501 form, keep all sales below $200, and staying within the informal threshold. This is exactly what happened last time. I just couldn't remember. I just showed up at the border with no paper work and then they made me go in and fill out the 7501.

Thank you,

Scott

From my understanding US buyers don't pay customs or import fees (like we do when we buy books from the US) - someone correct me on this if I am wrong????

that's true, yes. But my guess is the OP wants to save on the shipping expenses, b/c like everything else, it's more expensive from Canada.

That is it!! I do not want shipping costs to be prohibitive for buyers. It is worth it for me to the little extra work to save on shipping. Because I'll be shipping priority, even the boxes are free if I use USPS. :D

Not if you factor in the exchange rate due to the falling Canadian dollar. :gossip:

I shipped a parcel from Canada to New York and it would have been a lot more expensive if I had driven across the border to ship it from the US side. Probably depends on the parcel service you are using. (shrug)

Not if you factor in the exchange rate due to the falling Canadian dollar. :gossip:

I shipped a parcel from Canada to New York and it would have been a lot more expensive if I had driven across the border to ship it from the US side. Probably depends on the parcel service you are using. (shrug)

If you use priority boxes, it is cheaper. I sent 4 comics in an envelope (that I had to buy) to Salt Lake from Vancouver. With insurance, the cost was $21 Canadian. From Blaine it would have been $US 4.95 (with free priority envelope).