• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Green Eggs Grading Contest -Round 8

127 posts in this topic

It's like the tape pull on the Krazy, once you see it you go :doh:

And my donation didn't get a picture in the recap :(

I can rescan if the one from the prize thread doesn't work :foryou:

I still don't see how all those spine crunches and stresses on the Crow = 8.5

I use OGG which appears stricter on many books than CGC, but still, those crunches on the Crow spine are making my head spin. What gives?

My basic strategy on these games has been, grade it myself using OGG (which usually results in an undergrade compared to CGC) - and for these games I then go and compare similar graded books of similar age to slabbed copies I can find on Ebay for comparison and adjust if necessary. The "key bumps" and "GA bumps" will always throw me for a loop now and then, but that's basically how I approach trying to guess what CGC will do, starting with the OGG.

I am having a great time in this my first year of the game. The only problem is that if you took the square root of many of my scores, you would get an imaginary number.

:tonofbricks:

From the back cover, bottom right moving upwards.

The first pic shows a really fuzzy corner, some of it has rubbed away. Also displays a white line heading to the top of the book. That area, at one point, would have been folded over from someone not taking care while reading the book. They created a spine roll and broke the paper fibers. That's why that white line is there.

Batgirl3_zps3n9gfknq.jpg

This second picture shows an extension of the spine roll. We can see this from the white line moving upwards, but now it's not continual, it's intermittent. Big spine tick at bottom of this picture.

Batgirl4_zpshlfzswoy.jpg

In the third picture, we can no longer see this white line, but you should be able to spot the difference in the light black and dark black. There is still a separation that is apparent between the two tones of black. Light black on the right side and dark black on the left. This tells me that the reader creased this book, or bent the spine up here, but not enough to break the fibers.

Batgirl5_zps0bjh5geu.jpg

Hope this helps. (thumbs u

For me a lot of that sort of blended in with the damn fig newton rings. Good going to those who spotted it. :thumbsup:

From the back cover, bottom right moving upwards.

The first pic shows a really fuzzy corner, some of it has rubbed away. Also displays a white line heading to the top of the book. That area, at one point, would have been folded over from someone not taking care while reading the book. They created a spine roll and broke the paper fibers. That's why that white line is there.

Batgirl3_zps3n9gfknq.jpg

This second picture shows an extension of the spine roll. We can see this from the white line moving upwards, but now it's not continual, it's intermittent. Big spine tick at bottom of this picture.

Batgirl4_zpshlfzswoy.jpg

In the third picture, we can no longer see this white line, but you should be able to spot the difference in the light black and dark black. There is still a separation that is apparent between the two tones of black. Light black on the right side and dark black on the left. This tells me that the reader creased this book, or bent the spine up here, but not enough to break the fibers.

Batgirl5_zps0bjh5geu.jpg

Hope this helps. (thumbs u

For me a lot of that sort of blended in with the damn fig newton rings. Good going to those who spotted it. :thumbsup:

+1 It can be hard to tell with those intermediate cases.