• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics #1

147 posts in this topic

I was born at the dawn of the Bronze Age and I don't recall my first LCS having anything earlier than Silver Age, but I distinctly recall poring through the pages of my first Overstreet Price Guide (#10 - 1980) and learning that the Golden Age issue of Marvel Comics #1 was the most valuable comic in the universe (I think a NM was $20,000+).

However, when it comes to record prices nowadays, it seems like there are only two names mentioned - Superman or Batman.

What happened to Marvel Comics #1 in the three and a half decades since? Is it still a sought after comic? Or has it fallen to the wayside in the eyes of collectors/investors?

It's defiantly still a blue chip holy grail that continues to grow in value. But it is not growing as fast as the other main stream characters. (Like porcupine said - movies , etc.)

So it's "at all time highs" fmv right now but others have and will continue to move past it.

It's been said before on the boards, and I believe it, that Cap #1 will become the #1 Timely in time. (If it isn't already)

My 2c

It's a fantastic key book to own but it's understandable these days to see Action #1 and Tec #27 well above it.

If the Human Torch was still today a lead character with his own title instead of part of a team and if the Sub-Mariner was also on top the book would have more going for it outside of being the first Marvel comic. Motion Picture Funnies also hurts it for not being the first appearance of the Sub-Mariner.

I'm also not going to be shocked to see Captain America #1 surpass it in the future.

Great info, and I see there actually is a copy of Marvel Comics #1 in the current ComicConnect auction (one of those restored books Silver Surfer mentioned).

I'm a little surprised to hear it isn't even the most valuable Timely anymore, but I guess it's to be expected without an A-lister on the cover (even though the original Torch did make a cameo in the Captain America movie!).

Is it possible that in a few years the most valuable Marvel/Timely book will actually be Amazing Fantasy #15, and not Captain America #1? Or will the Golden Age keep outshining Silver?

There's just to many of them. The demand would really have to jump up on AF 15 to hit those heights. We probably would have to see a lot more collectors enter the field with the intent of wanting an AF 15 over its GA forefathers.

On that list of most valuable GA books id rather own a Marvel #1 (which i did in the 1990's) over a Supes or Bats #1 although they'd be very close behind.

All American #16 is a tough book but it's never been on the top of my list. I have family and friends who own or have owned copies and talk in whispers about its greatness. GA Green Lantern always took a back seat for me over the rest of DC's heroes.

There's just to many of them. The demand would really have to jump up on AF 15 to hit those heights. We probably would have to see a lot more collectors enter the field with the intent of wanting an AF 15 over its GA forefathers.

On that list of most valuable GA books id rather own a Marvel #1 (which i did in the 1990's) over a Supes or Bats #1 although they'd be very close behind.

All American #16 is a tough book but it's never been on the top of my list. I have family and friends who own or have owned copies and talk in whispers about its greatness. GA Green Lantern always took a back seat for me over the rest of DC's heroes.

It doesn't help that there are two different versions of the Lantern either otherwise it might be a different story.

The only time that MC 1 was ever viewed as the top book by Overstreet was the early 80s and, even then, only very briefly. And I'm not sure that it was ever really true. Most of the record prices paid for comics over the years have been for DC comics -- mostly for Action 1.

As for AF15 versus MC 1, worth noting that people have already paid prices for AF 15 which dwarf the prices paid for MC 1. Supply and demand at high grade is a different concept than overall rarity.

Having said that, MC 1 "should" be the top valued Marvel comic IMHO due the combination of its relative rarity and historical significance.

The best thing about GA Green Lantern was the series finally ended its run by going to the dogs.

The Toth last issue is a keeper. (thumbs u

I've thought about putting together a run of DC dog hero comics. Aside from GL's Streak the Wonder Dog, there's Ace the Bat Hound, Krypto, Robbie the Robot Dog and Rex the Wonder Dog. Anyone know of any others?

I'm a sucker for dog covers so besides collecting the "dog heroes" (hmm, they have enough to form a team hm ) I chase after a lot of the war comics through BA with dog covers. Kubert did nice looking dogs...

The only time that MC 1 was ever viewed as the top book by Overstreet was the early 80s and, even then, only very briefly. And I'm not sure that it was ever really true. Most of the record prices paid for comics over the years have been for DC comics -- mostly for Action 1.

^This.

And ultimately this is why it is a huge disservice for Overstreet not to report accurate market conditions.

We already have a thread about how Overstreet doesn't have the top books correct in the new guide (AA#16 is still at #4 or something for example) and in 20 years people will look back and say it must have been worth more than Bat 1 or Cap 1 at this point in time even though it's not true.

Marvel #1 took over the top spot in the guide thanks to the Church copy selling for crazy money at time when there weren't really any other high grade unrestored copies known (and no nice Action #1s selling at the same time), but Snyder has told me several times that if Chuck had made the Action #1 available instead he would have jumped on it, and paid a higher price for it than he did the Marvel #1.