• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Here's (IMO) a good example of a bland ACG. Nice, clean lines. Skull looks cool. Overall though, a "ho-hum" situation/feel. Does this one impress any of you? (shrug)

The AIU books are way low on my list of pre-code horror in terms of desirability, art, etc.

Here's (IMO) a good example of a bland ACG. Nice, clean lines. Skull looks cool. Overall though, a "ho-hum" situation/feel. Does this one impress any of you? (shrug)

The AIU books are way low on my list of pre-code horror in terms of desirability, art, etc.

I used to go out of my way to avoid this "lame" publisher myself, but as I began to try to put a complete AIU pch run together over a year ago, my appreciation for them has grown. Despite an array of bland covers, there are many gems scatterred through the series. 2c

If you find time, check back at my posts in this thread over the last few months, the ones with scans are mostly AIU. You might find a few to be pleasantly surprising. :shy:

Even though many of the ACG books from the fifties have lame covers, the early issues of ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN had some great covers. And some of them have great artwork from guys like Feldstein and Al Williamson. OUT OF THE NIGHT #1 has a terrific Williamson werewolf tale, and I know his art is in several other ACG books.

...the early issues of ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN had some great covers...

Yes. The early ones have some really cool stuff. (thumbs u

AIU #3 had a story by Feldstein.

3044748116_9075b9b9ca_b.jpg

Sweet! I always wondered if it was full on Feldstein or not as I have never seen it. It's a beauty!

And someone said they like snake covers on another thread... What about a sweaty splash by Palais?

Don't you hate waking up with a big snake in the bed.

We used to have lizards in the Christmas trees in Houston.

bb

3053521099_da2cba71fc_b.jpg

I think Cole did the first splash and Palais did the second page.

I have forgotten who did the others.

But they are worth looking at if you still have raw copies.

3054274204_1ca790ca2f_b.jpg

I know this one from being reprinted in the Eerie Pub. mags. (thumbs u