• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

... and I will try to see if I can dredge it up, but I seem to recall some B&W pics of Lux & Ivy in what looked like a record store/comic shop, but turns out it was a room in their house! Gotta find it...

the pics were from the ReSearch Incredibly Strange Music book, but I forget if they were in Vol.1 or vol.2. Geat interview with the two of them talking about obscure old records they love.

I am a big fan of the Cramps too, and was saddened to hear of Lux' passing.

The interview was in Incredibly Strange Music Volume 2. Here is the pic you mentioned, and another of Lux having some fun. The interveiw is great, and the highlight for me was Lux and Ivy's story of driving cross country in the late 60s or early 70s to buy original Sun 45s from the warehouse. Their junker of a car broke down on the way but they couldn't resist the chance to pick up those great records for 20 cents each! They had a top notch rockabilly collection, among other things, by the way.

It is hard to make much out in this photo, but dig the framed pics of Alfred E Newman on the back wall!

luxivyphoto.jpg

luxheadphones.jpg

YAY! I'm back on the boards after the update affecting the east coasters thing... :/

Thanks, The paperback artwork is positioned like the Warren Creepy paperback where you have to hold the book sideways to read it.

... and I will try to see if I can dredge it up, but I seem to recall some B&W pics of Lux & Ivy in what looked like a record store/comic shop, but turns out it was a room in their house! Gotta find it...

the pics were from the ReSearch Incredibly Strange Music book, but I forget if they were in Vol.1 or vol.2. Geat interview with the two of them talking about obscure old records they love.

I am a big fan of the Cramps too, and was saddened to hear of Lux' passing.

The interview was in Incredibly Strange Music Volume 2. Here is the pic you mentioned, and another of Lux having some fun. The interveiw is great, and the highlight for me was Lux and Ivy's story of driving cross country in the late 60s or early 70s to buy original Sun 45s from the warehouse. Their junker of a car broke down on the way but they couldn't resist the chance to pick up those great records for 20 cents each! They had a top notch rockabilly collection, among other things, by the way.

Thats what I was remembering. I would LOVE to spend some time in that record room!

It is hard to make much out in this photo, but dig the framed pics of Alfred E Newman on the back wall!

luxivyphoto.jpg

luxheadphones.jpg

Just got this today from Dale Roberts....been looking for one for many moons.I'll try to post some interior scans later this weekend.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

VENUS18.jpg

Fantastic grade on a very cool Bill Everett book :applause:

Very nice Vault of Horror jayman. I have a copy, but it's not as quite nice as the one you scored. Here's the best of my EC reprint pb's. A friend I do lots of swapping with came across this last summer and just tossed it my way. I couldn't have been happier!

cryptpb.jpg

Boy, my scans look like , maybe I need a scanner thats actaully more expensive that the cords! (shrug)

Just got this today from Dale Roberts....been looking for one for many moons.I'll try to post some interior scans later this weekend.GOD BLESS...

VENUS18.jpg

Here's the interior scans I promised.I think I would have to say that as far as the interiors go....I think 18 is the best of the run with 17 a CLOSE second and #19 in third.Any other opinions ? GOD BLESS..

scan0005-8.jpg

scan0006-5.jpg

scan0007-6.jpg

scan0002-8.jpg

scan0003-8.jpg

VENUS18.jpg

Here's the interior scans I promised.I think I would have to say that as far as the interiors go....I think 18 is the best of the run with 17 a CLOSE second and #19 in third.Any other opinions ? GOD BLESS..

scan0005-8.jpg

scan0006-5.jpg

scan0007-6.jpg

scan0002-8.jpg

scan0003-8.jpg

:luhv:

Congratulations, Jimbo! And thanks for posting scans! (thumbs u

Thanks guys.I don't know about anyone else...but to me, Everett's style really seemed to kick into high gear during the 1952-1953 period.You could see that the horror genre really suited him. It looks like he took a major evolution in his approach during those two years.This Venus 18 might be one of my favorite comics ever.It will hopefully be one of the last books to go when I hit the time to sell my favorite books. I always wondered if the last 3 issues of the run (which seem to be in a class by themselves) were the result of Bill and Stan deciding that Venus didn't have to be romantic fantasy anymore.He was obviously having quite a blast when he did these last few.GOD BLESS...

scan0005-8.jpg

That story title makes me vaguely uncomfortable -- not a title to skim over quickly.

scan0007-6.jpg

All of the pages are fabulous, but that splash is my favorite. Almost a shiverbones prototype!

Congrats on a great purchase.

Jack

Very nice Vault of Horror jayman. I have a copy, but it's not as quite nice as the one you scored. Here's the best of my EC reprint pb's. A friend I do lots of swapping with came across this last summer and just tossed it my way. I couldn't have been happier!

cryptpb.jpg

Boy, my scans look like , maybe I need a scanner thats actaully more expensive that the cords! (shrug)

Beautiful copy!

VENUS18.jpg

Great interior pages (and cover) (and book)! :banana: