• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,236 posts in this topic

Great story, DC! :o

Thanks for posting! (thumbs u

classic stuff! I have never seen it in color before, thanks!

Thanks indeed - like shiv, I'd only read the B/W reprint - great stuff ( though it could use a full decap panel - but like the purple dinosaur says - just use your imagination )

Adventures Into The Unknown #33

I'm getting all my stuff together for the upcoming Heroes Con and thought I'd post some books tonight! Going to post a whole bunch! Get ready fellow gouls!!

Not as great as Startling Terror #11, but still cool. Also, another book for my "Giant Spider Attack" cover collection. Love the green background and the dame is drawn so nicely!

I know these are sort of the underdog of PreCodes, but I'm sure there are some gems among them. This copy is what I would call really nice shape for my reader PreCode collection.

81244.jpg.ee9a7b9646040482a5394ba4639c7e3a.jpg

Edited by Darth Corgi

Witches Tales #14

After I heard from TTTTT that this issue featured a story about a giant mutated rabbit, I had to get it! I love covers that have a sort of animation or sequential quality about them. I think all the drawings are fantastic here, especially the "middle" stages of this poor man's transformation.

This is my first (and probably last) file copy. Though I love the wicked cover and gloss, the outer edges of the pages are way to tan/brittle for me. Still, its a nice copy. Also, I really wanted to see what CGC called "Light Tan to Off White Pages" as this was a slabbed book. Also, my first Heritage win!

81245.jpg.c3830d4af8056e1cc6867e10d555d9f3.jpg

Weird Mysteries #11

I picked this copy up on ebay and felt I got a pretty good deal on it. Definitely a reader, this is still a solid book with some great page quality. I have noticed that this run is quite desirable and I must admit that many of the covers are quite amazing, though I'm not sure this is one of them. Still, I wanted to at least grab one and see what the insides were like.

Regarding the cover:

-Bizarre Creature :sick:

-Yellow dress! :D

-Strange Hands reaching out from the readers perspective. :applause:

-My first Bonnett's stamp :headbang:

81255.jpg.16f44b74597ec68f318aa36f0fb65085.jpg

Eerie Adventures #1

The first and only issue in this title from Ziff-Davis. I've got a few more of these wonderfully painted covers coming up soon as part of my "starter PreCode kit". I can't say enough great stuff about these covers. It took me a few seconds to come around and notice the dagger being pulled out of the robe while the deathly fellow makes his final checkmate move. (thumbs u

Also, the other attached pic is the backside of the book featuring another piece of cover art! I was thrilled and surprised when I first saw it. Bats.. :cloud9:

81257.jpg.9a5e794604a48d1606b4f3e01b480338.jpg

81258.jpg.eb976f755f00a6d17d611c94543c75f2.jpg

Eerie Adventures #1

The first and only issue in this title from Ziff-Davis. I've got a few more of these wonderfully painted covers coming up soon as part of my "starter PreCode kit". I can't say enough great stuff about these covers. It took me a few seconds to come around and notice the dagger being pulled out of the robe while the deathly fellow makes his final checkmate move. (thumbs u

Also, the other attached pic is the backside of the book featuring another piece of cover art! I was thrilled and surprised when I first saw it. Bats.. :cloud9:

That's Bernard Krigstein's art on the back cover. The interior is quite good as well with the bizarre space vampire plant. (thumbs u

Haunt Of Fear #17

I picked this book up along with the Eerie Adventures #1 from the FX Show here in Orlando. I think I overpaid a little, but I also got a few other books thrown in and I really wanted this copy. The page quality and printing are unbelievable and the cover color/gloss holds up real well.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I spent the last 10 years very casually putting together all the single reprints of the EC titles as I found them. It was a very enjoyable (and cheap) way to stay in the hobby. My favorites are the Ingels stories. I think Ghastly might be my favorite comic book artist. So when I decided to start picking up Non EC PreCode horror, It didn't take long before I realized that I wanted at least a few original EC's in my rag box. So, I've decided to just get the Ingels covers which ends up being about half of the run of Haunt. I have made a significant dent in these issues already.

What more can be said about this cover that hasn't already been told?

Here's a stab at it:

-The olive green/yellow faces with pink/purple accents just screams rotting corpses!

-These 3 faces are all sensational yet I keep looking at the one in the back, furthest away. In fact if you stare at that one long enough, then very quickly look over into the eye of the closest one, you just might get some goosebumps like I did! :sick:

-Bernie Wrightson said it best in the EC featurette on the Tales From The Crypt season 1 DVD when he said something along the lines of......Ingels drew in a way that you could somehow SMELL the rotting flesh.... You could SMELL the drawing!

81259.jpg.78e4f93421aa2e93c5168bb2325d6eec.jpg

Edited by Darth Corgi

love it. just got that copy myself a few weeks ago. the best ingels haunt cover. and probably his best story, too. i always wished those %#&* horror-hosts pics didn't get in the way of this cover's greatness.

This is by FAR my favorite thread EVER!!

:shy:...Anyone have an extra Chamber of Chills #19

by chance?Low grade?

This spot is the greatest!!!!!

Some of the Chamber of Chills stories were pretty good too. I think the colorist should win an award.

Here is a splash from 15 which isn't as good as I would like but I am grateful to GA.UK. It seems like the Harvey comics have stretched their palette way beyond four colors.

bb

3633673967_41c5df8d73_b.jpg