• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,236 posts in this topic

Haunt Of Fear #12

Another gem and one that has been posted many times before. All the characters rock in this one! :headbang: Just look at the main character in the foreground looking helplessly at the reader! Absolutely beautiful linework going on here. What a face too! The walking corpse/zombie in the BG aint too shabby either! Just look at the pose and expression. You can almost hear it cackling....I also like the disproportion of its left arm, quite a bit lower as it should be. As if it fell off and was now just in the garment remains. Masterful work!!

I was lucky to of picked this up off the boards for the disgustingly low amount of just under $30. I felt like a grave robber taking it for such a song.

81275.jpg.1f83945004359c77f0d42b2b1a5f51b7.jpg

Execution covers via the Electric Chair...a favorite theme of 50's pre-code crime and horror!

Here are 2 more ... make that 1 more as it seems I don't have a scan of my Shock SuspenStories # 1 handy :mad: -

81274.jpg.1dd3cd98cd5b0635b75685ca9e1964ba.jpg

Execution covers via the Electric Chair...a favorite theme of 50's pre-code crime and horror!

Here are 2 more ... make that 1 more as it seems I don't have a scan of my Shock SuspenStories # 1 handy :mad: -

That, is an excellent book! Can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this someday!!

I think Metro has the Mile High for around $1200. :eek:

Haunt Of Fear #28

I'll end today's postings with the final issue in this title. Probably the most subtle of Ingels covers, it still evokes the feeling of Horror, and of course, FEAR. In a way, this might be Ghastly's most scary cover ever because it shows us something that is real. Unlike zombies, vampires and other gouls that oozed from Ingel's pen, this scene shows us what we are all at one time or another afraid of.... death, the unknown, and did we make the most of our time here.

Technically this is my first original Haunt book for my collection, though I didn't receive the actual book in hand until after I had acquired the previous two I posted.

Some other thoughts about the cover:

-Excellent color work.

-The perspective of looking up from a grave level is genius.

-The composition here is wicked! Notice how everything keeps your eye in the picture frame moving in a circle. You see the cart first moving to the right, then your eye is stopped by the tombstone which carries you up into the sky whose clouds arc back down to the ground and cart again. A dance for the eyes!

-I know many boardies here don't like the cut off cover designs that EC used not allowing a full bleed and adding the 3 Host portraits. I agree in most cases, but I think everything works very well for this issue. The somber burgundy background color in the masthead behind the title echoes the color of blood and I like having the 3 Goulunatics here. Appropriate since this is the farewell issue. I wonder if the bodies of the famous 3 are in those very coffins piled up on the cart?

81284.jpg.cfe19509b45190630b85ce07b413abed.jpg

Edited by Darth Corgi

81271.jpg

What a grouping here! (worship)

That Strange Suspense Stories is a tough book!

DC, some terrific books you have been posting!

I like the commentary and critiques also. I've neglected the E.C.s myself for far too long as they've been reprinted so often.

I decided to go after the other publishers (Atlas being a personel fav) but lately I've been picking up the random E.C. and finding that no reprint comes close to holding an original! (thumbs u

The mind just reels at the amount of iconic covers being posted of late.... :popcorn:

Speaking of iconic covers, here's one that might fit the bill. I know you've seen this Keith but now I'll officially share with the rest of the boards.

A sweet pick-up from a fellow boardie too!

StartlingTerrorTales11.jpg

Atlas being a personel fav

... and for good reason. Here's a recent (and therefore not over-posted) fave pick-up -

That hand! (thumbs u But it's the heads peaking from the top of that "Use No Hooks" box is what gets me every time I see this cover! :applause:

The mind just reels at the amount of iconic covers being posted of late.... :popcorn:

Speaking of iconic covers, here's one that might fit the bill. I know you've seen this Keith but now I'll officially share with the rest of the boards.

A sweet pick-up from a fellow boardie too!

StartlingTerrorTales11.jpg

:o

:applause: