• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Amazing Adventures #2

-This and #4 are my favorite AA covers!

-Awesome colors!

-Green dress, or bikini I guess!

- That creature is friggin gross.

-This cover represents a story inside about an intergalactic zoo that is very similar to a Twilight Zone episode. Wonder which came first?

Quite possibly the hottest girl ever on a comic book cover.....to me at least.

Alex Schomburg cover too! (thumbs u

:gossip: Allan Anderson

GCD and OSPG have the cover to AA#2 attributed to Schomburg, is this incorrect?

This has come up a couple times and I refer folks to the article on Allan Anderson in Illustration Magazine by Norm Saunders' son (Anderson and Saunders shared the same studio). I believe David Saunders is correct and that GCD and OSPG are incorrect.

Illustration-1.jpg

IllustrationAndersonchklist-1.jpg

Illustrationp8-1.jpg

Illustrationp9-1.jpg

I agree with adamstrange here. It definitely looks like an Allan Anderson. Did Schomburg ever even work in oils? I thought he just worked in ink line..... (shrug)

I tend to agree too. Was just confirming an answer. I do not know if Schomburg worked in oils so I had no reference to compare to. Someone call Overstreet!

Strange Stories From Another World #2

This book was recommended by Shiverbones many posts ago. It features a story he posted about a man who couldn't die and had his head twisted around in 180 degrees. The cover is also pretty twisted and a bit unsettling to me. I usually like to see animals getting the upperhand against man. I am always impressed at how often high quality illustration artwork can move people on an emotive level.

Another gem by Norm Saunders! This is my first Fawcett book and I finally get to experience the excellent metallic shine on the cover image. Hard to explain and impossible to capture with scans, these rag covers have a glow about them. Very cool!

81877.jpg.3b6552ac504d86531c78ba9a1a5f07e8.jpg

During the last couple years that Fawcett published comics they used metallic inks that actually form crystaline structures that diffract the light. It's quite unusual and gives them a special look.

Great book! :applause:

Oooh..oooh, can I do one too? :grin:

Haunt of Fear #27

Love the perspective on this cover, Ghastly got the angle just right for horrific effect!

There's a real sense of isolation and you can almost feel the crumbling and creaking of that shack.

Looking at the cast shadows from the porch posts you can tell the hand is rising in the glow of the (probably full) moon!

Another detailed beauty from Ingels. :cloud9:

HauntOfFear27.jpg

Very nice one... always looking for those "L" books! :whistle:

Strange Stories From Another World #2

This book was recommended by Shiverbones many posts ago. It features a story he posted about a man who couldn't die and had his head twisted around in 180 degrees. The cover is also pretty twisted and a bit unsettling to me. I usually like to see animals getting the upperhand against man. I am always impressed at how often high quality illustration artwork can move people on an emotive level.

Another gem by Norm Saunders! This is my first Fawcett book and I finally get to experience the excellent metallic shine on the cover image. Hard to explain and impossible to capture with scans, these rag covers have a glow about them. Very cool!

Awesome book! One of my faves, glad you got a copy. :)

I agree. They aren't what I would consider a really rare comic. For example: Venus 17-19 or a Crime does not Pay 24....those are damn tough books to find. If you are patient enough, Eerie #1 and the Voodoo Annual will come up for sale around a couple of times a year. Finding one at an affordable price, now that's the trick.

... I gotta say though, I don't think either one is as "rare" as people have been led to believe. I've seen many copies of each for sale ove the years, just never had the $$$ hm2c

During the last couple years that Fawcett published comics they used metallic inks that actually form crystaline structures that diffract the light. It's quite unusual and gives them a special look.

That is really fascinating! Do you have more information or a source for that? Do you happen to know which issues were involved?

Thanks for the info!