• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Great books! That Monster Crime and TMIH #3 are tough ones to find!

How are the contents to Monster Crime? Horror or Crime or a mix?

Welcome to the Boards!

PS: Never noticed that cloven hoof on the witch on the Haunted Thrills! :applause:

Great job scoping that hoof Jayman! This one goes on the wantlist...oh wait! It's already on there!

Indeed, nice looking horror books up here! I'd be interested to hear about the contents of that Monster Crime as well. :wishluck:

Edited by Darth Corgi

Thanks for the BIG welcome!

Here are 3 splash pages from three stories from the Monster Crime. The artwork is second rate and contains NO horror stories. You may have noticed the comic sold for 15 cents (for 1952). No wonder this book is scarce. There are 7 stories so it is alittle larger than a 10 cent issue. There is a sister comic to this called Crime Must Stop published by Hillman. I have a slabbed copy of that. Unfortunately, my scanner is not CGC slab friendly. Images come out crappy.

MC SPLAS 1

MC SPLAS 2

MC SPLAS 3

Thanks for posting those Rick! Looks like all crime from here. Some nice looking artwork though.

I guess for PreCode Horror fiends, interest in this book lies in its cover which is very very cool!

Thanks again for the scans!

Thanks!

Looks like Gene Colan on the 2nd story. The art on the third story is quite well done.

Thanks for posting those Rick! Looks like all crime from here. Some nice looking artwork though.

I guess for PreCode Horror fiends, interest in this book lies in its cover which is very very cool!

Thanks again for the scans!

Thanks!

Looks like Gene Colan on the 2nd story. The art on the third story is quite well done.

The artist for the 2nd story could be the underrated Gerald McCann.

Here's one not seen too often. Spook # 1 dated 1946 by Overstreet. Has a John Giunta cover. Interior has a couple of humor stories and a weird story, which I am posting the splash page. The artist look familar to me, one of you guys can probably recognize it.

SPOOK # 1

SPOOK1 SPLASH

Here's one not seen too often. Spook # 1 dated 1946 by Overstreet. Has a John Giunta cover. Interior has a couple of humor stories and a weird story, which I am posting the splash page. The artist look familar to me, one of you guys can probably recognize it.

SPOOK # 1

SPOOK1 SPLASH

This splash page is offensive to me as I am 1/8th Jumbee.......yet another example of Jumbee discrimination........... :sumo:

SPOOK # 1

SPOOK1 SPLASH

This splash page is offensive to me as I am 1/8th Jumbee.......yet another example of Jumbee discrimination........... :sumo:

And I am 1/4 goat with a thousand horns. We horny goats are offended by those winged snakes! :slapfight:

Wow, thats a great cover...Ive never seen that one before. The story looks interesting too..whatsitabout?

I posted this over in the "Christmas covers" thread, but thought horror fans might also get a kick out of it. This Christmas giveaway comic tried to cash in on the popularity of pre-code horror. The inside is just as weird as the cover, with evil elves and vampire mice.

90398.jpg

I posted this over in the "Christmas covers" thread, but thought horror fans might also get a kick out of it. This Christmas giveaway comic tried to cash in on the popularity of pre-code horror. The inside is just as weird as the cover, with evil elves and vampire mice.

90398.jpg

Now THAT'S very cool! (thumbs u

I knew that issue was going up for auction but have not followed the bidding. It's as you mentioned, someone just wants the book badly. I have a PGX 5.5 copy and owned the Bethlehem copy at one time years ago. $ 800.00 at this point, just wait, the book is not rare nor particularily scarce.

Well, it sold for $1670+ . Unbelievable. Sure wish I still had the Bethlehem copy!!!!!

Edited by RICK STARR