• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,238 posts in this topic

I've posted a few of my "Petaluma" books in the recent "Rat Chew" thread. It's a collection of generally lightly handled books that came out of Petaluma, CA (once known as the "Egg Capitol of the World"). The books were stored in a chicken coop, with about half suffering some type of critter and/or moisture damage. Nice books otherwise, and from a very tough period (1954-56) for Atlas and DC fantasy titles. I don't expect it to ever be recognized as an "official" pedigree, but I do use the name as a way of distinguishing these books from other copies I've acquired over the years.

And I've really enjoyed browsing through all 200+ pages of this thread. I get the impression that everyone here really enjoys the genre, regardless of the technical grade of the specimens presented. And that is what "old-school" comic collecting was all about. Thanks!

VERY cool books you have there! Thanks for sharing!!! (thumbs u

This week's triple-header: Adventures Into Terror 4 (Edgar Church copy); Adventures Into Weird Worlds 25 (Petaluma copy); Spellbound 3 (one of my personal favorites). Enjoy.

ADW025-PET.jpg

This is not one I've noticed before but it's a very nice departure from Maneely's normal style. I especially like the pose to the skeleton playing the trumpet in the background.

SPEL003.jpg

Thing157.jpg

It's very nice to see the comparison of how different artists approached a similar theme.

It makes me wonder how many other giant slobbering worm covers are out there? hm

I was the underbidder.

I paid too much, didn't I? :sorry::foryou:

If you think you paid too much, I would gladly relieve you of it. I just trimmed my wantlist down to the 10 I most wanted right now and that Unseen mummy cover is number 9. I love my mummy! Awesome book.

I was really just :baiting: Buck there since he was the underbidder.

What are your other 9 books? hm

btw: Happy Birthday! :banana:

I got the joke but never hurts to try. My current top ten?:

1. Manhunt 14

2. Amazing Mysteries 33

3. Venus 17

4. Mister Mystery 12

5. Adventures into Weird Worlds 27

6. Marvel Tales 129

7. Thing 15

8. Menace 5

9. Unseen 10

10. Ken Shannon 6

Of course, this list keeps changing the more you guys post your recent additions. Thanks for the B-day wishes. -John

I was the underbidder.

I paid too much, didn't I? :sorry::foryou:

If you think you paid too much, I would gladly relieve you of it. I just trimmed my wantlist down to the 10 I most wanted right now and that Unseen mummy cover is number 9. I love my mummy! Awesome book.

I was really just :baiting: Buck there since he was the underbidder.

What are your other 9 books? hm

btw: Happy Birthday! :banana:

I got the joke but never hurts to try. My current top ten?:

1. Manhunt 14

2. Amazing Mysteries 33

3. Venus 17

4. Mister Mystery 12

6. Marvel Tales 129

7. Thing 15

8. Menace 5

9. Unseen 10

10. Ken Shannon 6

Of course, this list keeps changing the more you guys post your recent additions. Thanks for the B-day wishes. -John

I know someone who is going to pick up a Ken Shannon #6 in the near future, right Jay? :gossip:

Scott

1. Manhunt 14

2. Amazing Mysteries 33

3. Venus 17

4. Mister Mystery 12

6. Marvel Tales 129

7. Thing 15

8. Menace 5

9. Unseen 10

10. Ken Shannon 6

Nice Want List. (thumbs u

Hey, care to share your "Top Toughest" list? hm

1. Manhunt 14

2. Amazing Mysteries 33

3. Venus 17

4. Mister Mystery 12

6. Marvel Tales 129

7. Thing 15

8. Menace 5

9. Unseen 10

10. Ken Shannon 6

Even in mid-grade some of those won't be too easy to find.

1. Manhunt 14

2. Amazing Mysteries 33

3. Venus 17

4. Mister Mystery 12

6. Marvel Tales 129

7. Thing 15

8. Menace 5

9. Unseen 10

10. Ken Shannon 6

No, they won't. I'm trying to stir back up the "Toughest pre-code horror" chat we had going a few pages back. I don't think you put in your 2c , pal. :baiting:

1. Manhunt 14

2. Amazing Mysteries 33

3. Venus 17

4. Mister Mystery 12

6. Marvel Tales 129

7. Thing 15

8. Menace 5

9. Unseen 10

10. Ken Shannon 6

No, they won't. I'm trying to stir back up the "Toughest pre-code horror" chat we had going a few pages back. I don't think you put in your 2c , pal. :baiting:

I'm a high grade collector so, while I do see lots of horror books in a variety of grades, I don't necessarily think about and remember which are the toughest. Most all of the books that I look for are very tough.

I'm a high grade collector so, while I do see lots of horror books in a variety of grades, I don't necessarily think about and remember which are the toughest. Most all of the books that I look for are very tough.

Yes, my opinion is all pre-code is tough in high grade. ('cept maybe Thing 16 :P )

OK, so what do you consider high grade for pch? My opinion is anything 8.0 or better is a gem. hm

Yes, my opinion is all pre-code is tough in high grade. ('cept maybe Thing 16 :P )

OK, so what do you consider high grade for pch? My opinion is anything 8.0 or better is a gem. hm

I'm usually looking for vf/nm or better, preferably a pedigree, but I will diverge in either direction based on individual factors of a particular copy or issue. By no means are all my books vf/nm or better.

:shy:

Reminds me of the personal trainer I used to have. (thumbs u