• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

I have a soft spot for Superiors as well. Tough in high grade aren't they? I used to have most of the run in rough shape and never minded - just loved those crazy stories!

I run across them from time to time, though they won't necessarily look like it from a scan. In the example below there are a number of minor printing flaws that look like creases and bends (e.g. UR corner, near top staple) but are actually the result of poor quality control of the inks/press. Superior (in the 50s) gets my vote as having the worst production system of any comic publisher; they're even worse than Charlton.

Spokane

JIF10s.jpg

I have a soft spot for Superiors as well. Tough in high grade aren't they? I used to have most of the run in rough shape and never minded - just loved those crazy stories!

I run across them from time to time, though they won't necessarily look like it from a scan. In the example below there are a number of minor printing flaws that look like creases and bends (e.g. UR corner, near top staple) but are actually the result of poor quality control of the inks/press. Superior (in the 50s) gets my vote as having the worst production system of any comic publisher; they're even worse than Charlton.

NOBODY is worse than Charlton.

The Edsel :cloud9:

Charlton had several decades of sucky printing so they are total suckage output winners but Superior had higher intensity suckage for the few years of their 50s printings.

Charlton had several decades of sucky printing so they are total suckage output winners but Superior had higher intensity suckage for the few years of their 50s printings.

Recycled litho plates, apparently.