• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Sauce Dog said:

My latest graded purchase, I just could not resist it. Always liked the cover, but never pulled the trigger due to how picky I am with cover ink colors (as well as any pieces missing that might impact art) - however this one seemed to be a nice middle ground that presents great.

Can anyone offer some insight on the difference between this 'Canadian' version and a regular copy? I thought all Superior publications were Canadian (or does this mean the other copies while printed in Canada were meant for distribution in the states?)

lf-3.thumb.jpeg.7159df9a0e2039635dd2c937fd727bb9.jpeg

Resistance is futile!

Canadian “variants” were printed for distribution in Canada and may not have advertising in them. Later Silver Age Marvel Canadian variants wouldn’t have anything printed on the back cover. You’d have to remove it from the slab it up to see if there’s no advertising inside - which is my guess here. Great copy btw!

3 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

My latest graded purchase, I just could not resist it. Always liked the cover, but never pulled the trigger due to how picky I am with cover ink colors (as well as any pieces missing that might impact art) - however this one seemed to be a nice middle ground that presents great.

Can anyone offer some insight on the difference between this 'Canadian' version and a regular copy? I thought all Superior publications were Canadian (or does this mean the other copies while printed in Canada were meant for distribution in the states?)

There are no Canadian Variants for Superior Comics.  They were all published/printed in Canada.  The Canadian Variant designation by CGC in inaccurate, in fact I may have heard they don't currently use that designation.  However, don't tell anyone, it can be a good way to pick up a beauty PCH at a reduced cost because sellers expect less for Canadian books. Lets keep it between you and me.  And yes your wait has paid off- great colors, centering and registration- all of which are inconsistent with these books!

Edited by Black Bat
added praise

On 7/6/2021 at 9:42 PM, RICK STARR said:

1065925617_STRMYSTER2.thumb.jpg.f4b832bfba4e3ed18172948b9989c11e.jpg

This may be the most beautiful copy of SM2 I have seen- one of my top 5 pch covers!  I can't help wonder though if the colors are that rich in hand, the photo looks over saturated- are they?  

8 hours ago, Black Bat said:

There are no Canadian Variants for Superior Comics.  

Well actually there are, in a fashion.  I have some Superior reprints of American books, and the inside FC's are blank.  

Here's my contribution to the Strange Mysteries 2 parade.

Strange Mysteries 2.JPG