• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,238 posts in this topic

Except for the Jack Cole stories (which are generally hail.gif ), I've not found too many good horror stories in WOE. Your thoughts?

The Jack Cole stories are reason enough to pick up the early issues- especially as there are usually 2 an issue. thumbsup2.gif

gossip.gif I kinda have those, but haven't found a compelling reason to seek the others.

The Jack Cole stories are reason enough to pick up the early issues- especially as there are usually 2 an issue. thumbsup2.gif

gossip.gifI kinda have those, but haven't found a compelling reason to seek the others.

Of that I had no doubt wink.gif,

my comment was more directed at any pre-code fence sitters out there. I haven't read any post-Cole issues myself, but based on the non-Cole stories in the early issues, I'm guessing your right about there not being much more than the covers to recommend them.

Except for the Jack Cole stories (which are generally hail.gif ), I've not found too many good horror stories in WOE. Your thoughts?

Personally, I have enjoyed most of what I've read so far. Sure, a few clunkers thrown in just like any other sereies. Thing is, I'm probably not too hard to impress in the horror dept. crazy.gif

Interesting snout on that critter. Almost Man-Thing prototype.

(embarrassing just to type that)

Jack

Hey! I never put two & two together on that one. Nice observation! thumbsup2.gif

Look out! This sucker will double now in the next OPG!!!!! insane.gif

OPG gives partial credit to Crandall for this "Old Witch swipe."

That cover looks like a second tier artist pulled out a bunch of quality comics and, by swiping a number of reed crandall figures and faces along with the witch from the earlier WOE, created this cover.

This looks wrong to me as a Crandall cover. Much too cluttered and incoherent a design.

gossip.gif I still kinda like it because I love Crandall's work. If you're gonna swipe it might as well be someone good.

OPG gives partial credit to Crandall for this "Old Witch swipe."

That cover looks like a second tier artist pulled out a bunch of quality comics and, by swiping a number of reed crandall figures and faces along with the witch from the earlier WOE, created this cover.

No kidding. Some of these are obvious too. The guy on top left is clearly Ken Shannon, then the girl screaming in the fore-front is the one that rang a bell immediately as she's easily recognizable if from Police 112 -

1513823-Police112.jpg

and little detective work shows the girl on upper right being from Police 121 and so's Ken Shannon's shot! -

1513823-Police121.jpg

1513823-Police121.jpg.4bfb0ba5857f77e14e3ef520881fcc46.jpg

No kidding. Some of these are obvious too.

Good eye. The woman in the red dress at the right is the giveaway, isn't she, since she's not looking at what she's reacting to?

Here's another one, the pointing woman in the middle.

1514107-tman8.jpg

Jack

No kidding. Some of these are obvious too.

Good eye. The woman in the red dress at the right is the giveaway, isn't she, since she's not looking at what she's reacting to?

Here's another one, the pointing woman in the middle.

1514107-tman8.jpg

Jack

And she's not looking at what she's pointing at either.

Thanks for finding the source. The question is, do you attribute the WOE 15 cover to Crandall or not?

Thanks Jack. She was driving me nuts because I knew I'd seen her recently but couldn't recall where. I should have known to check the T-Man run. That book was for sale on eBay last week and I was tracking it but still forgot where I'd seen that lady in red. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks Jack. She was driving me nuts because I knew I'd seen her recently but couldn't recall where. I should have known to check the T-Man run. That book was for sale on eBay last week and I was tracking it but still forgot where I'd seen that lady in red. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Fabulous detective work, fellas! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Quality swiped themselves on other occasions as well. I'll have a scan coming of another self-swipe shortly... hi.gif