• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Member, Old Collector.

51 posts in this topic

So are there a lot of guys on here with X-Men #1 in 9.6, 6.0, 3.0 or not at all? From what I've seen so far, there's a lot of quality first, not so much quantity, or is it more like Chromium and me.

I saw one guy trying to complete a run of Bronze age FF in 9.6 CGC. That seems pretty steep, and a little niche.

Am I in the minority for buying runs, and the runs getting a little higher in grade as they go along? I mean, eventually, I plan on upgrading the keys, but at the same time, I'm happy with the ones I have.

How about you guys?

And thanks for all the warm welcome.

So are there a lot of guys on here with X-Men #1 in 9.6, 6.0, 3.0 or not at all? From what I've seen so far, there's a lot of quality first, not so much quantity, or is it more like Chromium and me.

I have to confess I do not own a copy of X-Men #1 smile.gif I think that these boards (being the CGC boards) tend to attract HG collectors. However, there are also a lot of people on the boards who collect low and mid grade books. I've always thought of myself as a VG+ kind of collector--doesn't mean I don't own some 9.6s, but HG's not my major goal.

Am I in the minority for buying runs, and the runs getting a little higher in grade as they go along? I mean, eventually, I plan on upgrading the keys, but at the same time, I'm happy with the ones I have.

Being a completist, I have been working under the "get them all first and worry about upgrades later" approach. I think I'm a little weird in that I tend to buy higher grade copies (when I can find them) of the early books in a run and don't worry so much about grade in the later books.

BTW, Welcome to the Boards thumbsup2.gif

I saw one guy trying to complete a run of Bronze age FF in 9.6 CGC. That seems pretty steep, and a little niche.

How about you guys?

Welcome to the boards! smile.gif

There are some of the top collectors/dealers in the hobby that post on these boards. There are many people on here that have massive collections. High grade too! Check out the Gold and Silver Age forums for some truly beautiful books that some of the members have.

Your collection sounds sweet. Much larger focus than mine (and alot more keys as well). I'm pretty random in my collecting. I have mini-runs of titles. I read current books. Right now, though, I'm looking to buy a GA Timely book to restore. I don't have the patience to be a completionist. blush.gif

Anyway, stick around and enjoy. Another Moore fan on board can't be a bad thing. thumbsup2.gif

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!

And nice collection... thumbsup2.gif

Welcome To The Boards!

There's really no "consensus" collection style that I'm aware of here. I collect mostly Bronze when the wife will let me spend some money, but there are people here who collect HG Gold, others who follow the completist model, others who like slabbed books almost exclusively, a bunch of dealer types who buy what they can sell and/or enjoy, DC collectors, Marvel collectors, Nedor collectors (Hey nm), Dennis the Menace collectors, you name it.

Chances are, if you have a question, someone on here can answer it and will within an hour or so

How about you guys?

Welcome! hi.gif

As a completionist, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to provide some of your progress reports HERE!

Nexus? Spider-Man? Usagi? Groo? cloud9.gif All good stuff! We're going to get along fine!

4. Strange Tales #110 (6.5)

Woot! I am not an SA collector except for some of the squarebound reprints like Marvel Tales and Collector's Item Classics but ST 110 is probably my favorite SA book!

Welcome to the boards! Post long and prosper! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks yet again to everyone for the welcome.

Quick responses to some:

Chrisco37: Best. Avatar. Ever.

Sal: So everyone here is kind of all over the page, which is nice. I do see a lot of big dogs here, but that just gives me a goal to shoot for!

ArAich: lol. My D.C. usually comes in the form of trades and Limited Series, although I am planning on finishing my Geffen/DeMatteis JLA and working on the next volume. Sorry, but pretty much a Marvel Zombie.

Warlord: If I sold it all tommorrow, I would still keep my Turtles, Nexus, Groo and Usagi. No question.