• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We MUST Be Evil and Perverse Non-Members of Society

56 posts in this topic

OK - that was an attempt at an attention-getter. But true as well. So I was asked to post the contents of my 1954 Scouting magazine that had a 3-page Wertham article about comics and kids.

So here it is. There are other articles, photos etc. out there and thought this may be a nice place to consolidate it all. You know, those Comic Books are the Source Of All Evil!

So if you have some shorter articles you can post or link to, it would be great to read. Or those photos of comic book burjings. Or whatever. But you know what I mean? Those things that created that white stamp on the top right corner of comic books!

I am using links here since the scans are a bit weighty and there are three pages. The mag it is taken from is this:

scoutwertham.jpg

The REAL first page-added later

Wertham In Scouting - 1954 - Page 1

Wertham In Scouting - 1954 - Page 2

Wertham In Scouting - 1954 - Page 3

::edited to include the real first page which I neglected due to Povness. frown.gif

Thanks, POV. Historical stuff.

That's some pretty heavy reading in a magazine for Boy Scouts. I'm thinking that even the newspapers of the day would be more restrained than Wertham ("lust murders").

That's some pretty heavy reading in a magazine for Boy Scouts. I'm thinking that even the newspapers of the day would be more restrained than Wertham ("lust murders").

Most welcome, Adam. "Extras" like these really make the boards a kick-you-know-what place! grin.gif

Most welcome, Adam. "Extras" like these really make the boards a kick-you-know-what place! grin.gif

Getting better all the time, Pov. GA has been hopping the last couple weeks!

Getting better all the time, Pov. GA has been hopping the last couple weeks!

It really HAS, muich to my chagrin. With SD Con coming up and my budget being strictly enforced - I am in a quandary between a lot of BA Horror in HG or a ,oot less pre-code in Fine or so. Maybe I can swing some trading and some balancing and be happy on both counts!

But yeah - GA has been At The Hop of late! thumbsup2.gif

Intriguing historical snapshot you have there Pov, thanks for posting it. It's interesting to note that in describing each comic's "shortcomings" in such detail Wertham perpetuates the very thing he castigates. He claims that comics give in-depth instructions on how to sucessfully commit certain crimes, and then repeats the details in a magazine meant for kids! How sadly ironic.

My guess is that Scouting is/was a magazine for Scoutmasters - Boy's Life is/was the magazine read by Boy Scouts themselves.

My guess is that Scouting is/was a magazine for Scoutmasters - Boy's Life is/was the magazine read by Boy Scouts themselves.

Thanks for the clarification. The context for the article makes more sense.

Now I'm curious as to what Wertham wrote in the Readers Digest article. Can anyone help?

Thanks for the clarification. The context for the article makes more sense.

Now I'm curious as to what Wertham wrote in the Readers Digest article. Can anyone help?

Cool! I am currently seeking more Wertham articles like the Good Housekeeping and Reader's Digest. Woot! grin.gif

There is a copy of that issue (May 1954) for sale on ebay. I understand the article, "Blueprints to Delinquency" is only one or two pages long but I could be wrong. I do not recollect reading the article but I suspect it is the same rehashed information. confused-smiley-013.gif

May 1954 Reader's Digest

There is a copy of that issue (May 1954) for sale on ebay. I understand the article, "Blueprints to Delinquency" is only one or two pages long but I could be wrong. I do not recollect reading the article but I suspect it is the same rehashed information. confused-smiley-013.gif

May 1954 Reader's Digest

Harvey! Well, I got it. I aslo got,. from the same seller, the April 24, 1954 SATURDAY REVIEW with a review of SOTI. Yee ha! Thank for the tip! Most appreciated.

Below are scans of the two-page Biblography included with the first printing of Seduction Of The Innocent. Feel free to print it out and include it with your copy! You betcha! thumbsup2.gif

My copy was a 2nd printing without the bibliography, but these copies were included in the book.

soti-bib1.jpg

soti-bib2.jpg

Am I crazed or do I recall a couple or so Weird Science-Fantasy that had the code? Since this was a 1954 letter and the code came out in 55, I have to assume they were hoping that WSF would make it? But I am really running on early collecting memories now. Maybe some EC Addict can elaborate.

None of them have a code.

You gotta figure they dropped "Weird" from the title to avoid controversy.

Incredible Sci Fi all have codes.

The Good News: Weird Science-Fantasy never saw a CCA Stamp !!! yay.gif

The Bad News: They retitled it Incredible Science Fiction and the last four issues all had the CCA stamp,........ sorry.gif

The best News: The Weird Science-Fantasy # 29, Classic Frazetta Cover, managed to escape the CCA by one issue,......# 30 was the first retitled Incredible Science Fiction with a big ol' CCA Stamp.

POV, if you need any more information about comic books,....let me know! devil.gif