• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much of your art do you post on CAF?

77 posts in this topic

I have everything (I think) uploaded to CAF, but it's not all active.

I'll de-activate a pice for a couple of different reasons. Mostly because having too many folders with too many pieces within them just seems overwhelming to me (but, ironically owning the pages does not (shrug) ) So, if a page has been posted for a few months and doesn't have many views I'll just de-activate it. I may activate it later just to give the under-viewed some exposure.

I also think if a single folder has more than say 3 pages nothing gets looked at. As other have said, art is meant to be shared and seen, so I cull what's viewable because I think less art is viewed more. Regardless of how many pieces i have active it seems if I refresh my dashboard view after 30 minutes or so the view count will go up.

On that note, I'd love for CAF to add a feature on the dashboard of "10 most recently viewed pieces" :wishluck:

Me too. Its all up but some is inactive, sometimes for the reasons you state also (too many pieces means none get looked at).

I also think if a single folder has more than say 3 pages nothing gets looked at. As other have said, art is meant to be shared and seen, so I cull what's viewable because I think less art is viewed more. Regardless of how many pieces i have active it seems if I refresh my dashboard view after 30 minutes or so the view count will go up.

That's really interesting. Does anyone else feel that it's better to have several smaller galleries? In terms of views.. in other words, have less images per gallery. As an example I know one gallery owner with a fabulous collection that has lots of small galleries -but for me I kind of wish they were grouped into fewer larger galleries so I could see more art at a time. Instead of opening a gallery, going back, opening another and each time only seeing one or two items.

That's really interesting. Does anyone else feel that it's better to have several smaller galleries? In terms of views.. in other words, have less images per gallery. As an example I know one gallery owner with a fabulous collection that has lots of small galleries -but for me I kind of wish they were grouped into fewer larger galleries so I could see more art at a time. Instead of opening a gallery, going back, opening another and each time only seeing one or two items.

Conversely, I won't go through a gallery that has only one piece per folder. Typically this is the collector that has a folder for each artist and one piece in each folder.

Just my personal preference is I like 36 or less pieces per folder. This is two pages of thumbnails. But, hey, set up your CAF however you like. Curating your collection online is part of the process (thumbs u

I try to have no more than 18 pieces in a folder, or else it runs into a second page that will likely get overlooked or seem overwhelming for some.

I try to do this, also, for the reasons you state.

I do have a few galleries where I have more than 18 pages from the same book or serial that run-over into second, third, or fourth pages. Then it makes sense for me to group them all together.

Generally, I try to display most of my art collection. No (deliberately) hidden stash . . . just don't deem everything I own to carry sufficient interest for others to want to look at.

I try to group as much art into one connected gallery as I can. Reason being, I find it a huge turn-off to see the galleries of others that only feature a very small amount of artworks per gallery. Too much of a chore for me to want to wade through all of that stuff . . .

So this is my 2nd post here and while I have been collecting for a little while I only started posting art in the past week (on CAF). I am trying to decide how much to post.

Wondering what you guys do, or what mental process you go through to decide what pieces from your collection to post or how many?

No real mental process for me. I post everything I own. The whole point of art is for it to be seen. Hiding it away defeats half the reason for art to exist. So, I post it all. I know some hide theirs, due to fear of it being stolen, or annoyance of the hassle of being asked to sell. But those are petty gripes, which really, IMO, are so unimportant that they are hardly worth the bother to mention. To me, if you have art to show, then you show it. That's part of its purpose. It's just that simple.

Amen, post it and share it.

I have almost all of it loaded but about 1/2 to 2/3 is inactive. For the most part, I just have 9 pieces active at once and they are all displayed in my featured pieces gallery. I rotate some of this group out now and then. I sometimes have a gallery active from the one book I am trying to complete so people can see I'm trying to acquire pages.

I am also trying to keep my collection to a manageable size (by my standards), so I am actively trying to upgrade and have 10-15 A-quality pieces rather than 30-50 B pieces. Of course, my budget is always the constraint. :-)

For me it's maybe 15-20%. I don't like having all of my stuff up as the amount of people asking randomly "is it for sale" when I have it labeled NFS or "To The Grave" gets to be ridiculous. Also, time becomes a factor since I've been at this for a bit (time to scan, time to upload). Also, the OCD part of me tends to go down the rabbit hole of whether to organize by genre, theme, artist, era, etc... I'm planning a big horror update in time for Halloween, however.

For every single reason stated previously by others, controversial and not, I have less than 1/10th of 1% up. What I do have up isn't even all comic/illustration art. It is what it is, but I am striving to share more now than in the past. Ye olde schedule is freeing up again soon, there will be updates...gold/silver/strip/illustration/lowbrow/underground/domestic/foreign/whoknowswhatelse...eventually... ;)

I proudly display all that I own. I don't have enough to break up into more folders than I currently use. With respect to viewing others, I generally ignore custom folders and use the artist list to see what I want.

James

I proudly display all that I own. I don't have enough to break up into more folders than I currently use. With respect to viewing others, I generally ignore custom folders and use the artist list to see what I want.

James

I have about 2/3rd's of mine up. Sometimes I forget I have the piece and neglect to upload it and sometimes I'm just too lazy to bother.

I'm the same with the viewing. I tend to click on that artist in the collectors gallery not the folder. I can be a bit narrowed in my focus on artists that I like/follow which does keep my wallet happy since I do love a lot of it out there.

I have almost 100% of my very humble collection of OA displayed on CAF. Since it is more or less for my own convenience and amusement (I like to be able to access my collection for viewing wherever there is an internet-connection) I have it organized in the way it pleases myself (mostly by artist). I hardly ever look at the number of hits my art recieve (I buy art because I like it, not to impress others). And I have no intention to ever sell anything so I am not concerned with the "freshness" of it. :eyeroll:

I figure that if I like a certian piece of art there is at least one other person who might like it too. I also try to upload a picture of the actual published page for comparison purposes (even more important on newer pages without word ballons), and if possible a picture of the actual artist holding the page.

There are a handful of exceptions where the artist specifically asked for the art not to be on display, and I respect that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My CAF gallery.

I try to have no more than 18 pieces in a folder, or else it runs into a second page that will likely get overlooked or seem overwhelming for some.

I try to do this, also, for the reasons you state.

I do have a few galleries where I have more than 18 pages from the same book or serial that run-over into second, third, or fourth pages. Then it makes sense for me to group them all together.

Yeah something like a whole book would be my exception to the rule also.

Concerning the thread question of % of art on CAF- I'd say the majority of mine is on there. There are a handful of pieces that aren't on there for various reasons, most commonly being commissions that didn't turn out as planned.

Mine is divided into folder for myself, my wife, and my daughters.

I just put it all in. If people want to see it by Artist, the CAF handles that. Otherwise, I'd recommend the "Most Comments" and/or "Most Impressions" to get a good overview.

I hadn't really thought about the inconvenience of searching through multiple folders. (I have lots of folders with very few pieces inside each one). But, it makes sense to maybe just have one or a very few folders if you don't have many pieces up. Especially since you can search by artist down below. I think I'll rectify that and lump them all together, or maybe do a Superhero folder and a Funny book folder and a separate Illustration folder. And, just to answer the question, I have about 10% showing... value wise, maybe 1%. DF