• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much of your art do you post on CAF?

77 posts in this topic

I hadn't really thought about the inconvenience of searching through multiple folders. (I have lots of folders with very few pieces inside each one). But, it makes sense to maybe just have one or a very few folders if you don't have many pieces up. Especially since you can search by artist down below. I think I'll rectify that and lump them all together, or maybe do a Superhero folder and a Funny book folder and a separate Illustration folder. And, just to answer the question, I have about 10% showing... value wise, maybe 1%. DF

The original post idea was to figure out how much to show. Then I saw Gene's page and realized that he had tons of folders with very few pieces in each but the quality was so high, I couldn't help but click on dozens of folders to experience a real treat. Something I usually don't have patience to do.

Looking at your gallery that has 10% I would like to encourage you to add more Johnny Quest if you got it. That Doug Wildey piece is awesome!

This prompted me to look - less than half by items but majority by market value. When I get a piece that fits in one of my artist team/theme galleries pretty likely to get posted otherwise not so much.

For every single reason stated previously by others, controversial and not, I have less than 1/10th of 1% up. What I do have up isn't even all comic/illustration art. It is what it is, but I am striving to share more now than in the past. Ye olde schedule is freeing up again soon, there will be updates...gold/silver/strip/illustration/lowbrow/underground/domestic/foreign/whoknowswhatelse...eventually... ;)

Eeek , your poor scanner. Judging by what you've got posted, if that's 1/10th of 1%, that means you've got 60-something thousand different pieces of art. Yikes. If I had that much artwork I wouldn't post it either. That's too much work. You'd probably break caf's bandwidth budget too.

For every single reason stated previously by others, controversial and not, I have less than 1/10th of 1% up. What I do have up isn't even all comic/illustration art. It is what it is, but I am striving to share more now than in the past. Ye olde schedule is freeing up again soon, there will be updates...gold/silver/strip/illustration/lowbrow/underground/domestic/foreign/whoknowswhatelse...eventually... ;)

I love your 3 Highwaymen paintings!

We may have had this discussion before - But I have a large Highwayman painting by Sam's brother, Harold, on my wall.

Mom bought it from Harold Newton at the parking lot of Patsy's Shell Shop in Indian Harbour Beach, as Harold made his way up the east coast. On upson board with a crown molding frame, like yours appear to be.

Great stuff!

Eeek , your poor scanner. Judging by what you've got posted, if that's 1/10th of 1%, that means you've got 60-something thousand different pieces of art. Yikes. If I had that much artwork I wouldn't post it either. That's too much work. You'd probably break caf's bandwidth budget too.

I can't imagine wanting to own 60K+ pieces of anything. Except maybe hundred dollar bills or gold coins. I mean, are these like photocopies of art or something? I don't know how one can even get to that kind of total unless you've (a) got an 8 or 9-figure budget and prefer quantity over quality and/or (b) you've somehow acquired (or created) thousands of super low-value (1 and two digit dollar price) examples to balance out whatever more expensive pieces there are in the collection.

I have about 370 pages up and another 700-800 pieces in my collection and I feel like I am bursting at the seams. At one point I had even more but started paring down because it's just to much to actually enjoy. I wind up forgetting I own stuff after it sits hidden for years.

I have about 370 pages up and another 700-800 pieces in my collection and I feel like I am bursting at the seams. At one point I had even more but started paring down because it's just to much to actually enjoy. I wind up forgetting I own stuff after it sits hidden for years.

Are the 700-800 pieces commissions? I ask because this is where I saw my collection going so I changed up my collecting strategy last year. More focused on published art and nicer examples where possible. This cut the pace down which has been good and bad. The good = I tend to like the pieces I get a little more … and bad = I can’t satisfy the art fix quite as often. How many itoyas does that come out to?

I have collected comics, cards, and figures/statues and space always becomes a real concern after a while. I never really thought of art in terms of space but I suppose 70,000 pages of artwork would amount to quite a huge stack of portfolios. Rough math says that is around 1400-1500 portfolios?!?!?!?

Are the 700-800 pieces commissions? I ask because this is where I saw my collection going so I changed up my collecting strategy last year. More focused on published art and nicer examples where possible. This cut the pace down which has been good and bad. The good = I tend to like the pieces I get a little more … and bad = I can’t satisfy the art fix quite as often. How many itoyas does that come out to?

I have collected comics, cards, and figures/statues and space always becomes a real concern after a while. I never really thought of art in terms of space but I suppose 70,000 pages of artwork would amount to quite a huge stack of portfolios. Rough math says that is around 1400-1500 portfolios?!?!?!?

I've got about 35-40 portfolios and to me that is A LOT.

I couldn't imagine 100 (4800 pages of art) let alone 1000 portfolios. That would be one amazing library. :o

Consider yourself lucky when it comes to space! I actually think that, for whatever negatives there are to comic art, one big positive is that it takes up very little space compared to most art.

As for forgetting what you have, I think uploading everything to CAF as you go helps with that, at least it does for me. Every time a piece comes in, I put it on CAF (usually hidden from view, but the point is that when I log in, I get a nice comprehensive look at my collection - stuff doesn't get forgotten that way).

No, there are only about 100 or so commissioned pieces. Everything else is published artwork. My commissions are a pretty small part of the overall collections. I tend to pick up published stuff at a far faster rate than commissions. I've gotten picky on who I work with on commissions and what I want in my old age.

Id love to be down to just one 40 page portfolio, all killer no filler. But i keep messing that up and filling up binder after binder of "gee thats pretty, take my money" stuff. Would like to get to 40 core true meaningful best possible pieces. thats the goal.

Id love to be down to just one 40 page portfolio, all killer no filler. But i keep messing that up and filling up binder after binder of "gee thats pretty, take my money" stuff. Would like to get to 40 core true meaningful best possible pieces. thats the goal.

Why not start that 40 binder now. Doesn't mean you have to get rid of other stuff, but at least you can start that now. There are binders with removable pages that make that extra.easy, but it can be done with any binders. Over time you can adjust it. Sometimes your favourite pieces may not be the most valuable. So killer may be just what you enjoy most. Then if you ever want to eliminate anything you go to the other binders first.

I think its a great idea on paper, but personally I'd get bored of only 40 over time no matter how good... make sure its what you really want before you start purging

Definitely. The idea is to have a current top 40, that you adjust over time. It's not a static thing. I have been doing this and it had helped me better understand the difference between art I love and art I like.

Consider yourself lucky when it comes to space! I actually think that, for whatever negatives there are to comic art, one big positive is that it takes up very little space compared to most art.

As for forgetting what you have, I think uploading everything to CAF as you go helps with that, at least it does for me. Every time a piece comes in, I put it on CAF (usually hidden from view, but the point is that when I log in, I get a nice comprehensive look at my collection - stuff doesn't get forgotten that way).

I have been collecting for 30 years and I do find myself discovering pieces I have had for years I don't have on CAF. Usually its when I am talking to a fellow collector at a con about a piece and want to show it to him. Then realize it isn't on CAF. I try and add pieces as I get them but some do slip thru.

It's hard to do! The same concept is there with coins as a standard box will hold 20 graded coins. So the term "box of 20" was created. While I have my box of 20, I still have many others and it's hard to part with things.

This is an interesting thread. I owned at the beginning of this year over 5000 pieces of art. about 40% on CAF and all of it gets posted on to my website. I tend to post things in CAF I think others might like. I collect some pretty strange stuff that I don't bother posting on CAF. Since my collection predates CAF and at the time CAF started I probably already owned over 2000 pieces, many never made it to the site.

Like a few other collectors, my goals are to shrink my collection. My goal is to shrink it by about 1000 pieces this year and the same next. I am well on my way to completing the goal for 2016. The next 1000 will be much harder to cull. My goal would be to get down to 5 or 6 binders. My problem is my collecting interests are so wide and range from manga and strip art to underground and European art. Even getting down to my top 50 European pieces would be difficult and then throw in all the other genres. I am not sure where it will all end but I have a direction right now that I think is a healthy one. The cash I got from selling off pieces I have less interest in have gone a long way to funding some higher end acquisitions this year. I ended up being able to cross a lot of items off my want list this year. This year will stand out as among the better for new art in my collecting career.

I've got a very small collection, but I only had about 50% up until recently, due to laziness. I just finished putting up the rest. I don't have a scanner, so a few are phone pics, which don't look good. but it's kinda nice to have em all up.

for personal use, I have all the scans/pics of all my art, along with pictures of the published pages synced to the cloud & available from my phone/tablet/macbook/TV. I also have saved directories of stuff I'm interested in that's for sale or sold, & stuff I'd love to acquire.