• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best comic shops in Virginia

47 posts in this topic

In the Southeastern Tidewater area (Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, and Virginia Beach) there are several. Bender's Books, Trilogy, Comic Kings, Comic Cubicle, Zeno's, Atomic Comics, and Heroes and Villains are all worth a visit. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Used to be a great comic shop in fairfax station in the 1980's... only opened for a year or two, guys were great, seemed like they were ably-funded, but when I went back, they had been gone for months, never to return.

CAL :(

I'm from Norfolk and still get back several times a year so I know the ones in that area pretty well.

Best all around depends on what you mean. You will experience a wide range of experiences at the stores in the area.

knowledge, experience, friendliness, customer service, actual comic book selection, lots of silver age and bronze. There are 4 that stand out.

Benders and Zenos have been around forever. Their owners have a wealth of knowledge, Benders is just a cool place to go to. One of the oldest comic stores around.

Comic Kings in Virginia Beach

Trilogy in Virginia Beach on Princess Anne Rd (there are 2 Trilogy Stores one in VB and one in Norfolk and they are vastly different).

I think those 4 above are always worth visiting.

Looking for the best all around comic book stores in VA.

Virginia is a pretty big state (I can leave here and get to New York, passing through 4 other states and the district in about the same time it takes me to get to my parents house still here in Virginia), so it might be useful to mention where in the state you are interested in.

I'm going to visit Virgina Beach... any recommendations for shops in that area that have good back issue stock? I am more interested in bronze/copper (or older) than I am in moderns from the last 10-15 years.

boatfund mentioned four recommended stores (thank you!) but I can't discern what kind of inventory that they carry from those comments.

With my preference in mind, what are the top few choices for depth and breadth of back issues?

The stores I recommended before all have silver to modern.

Benders and Trilogy (in Va. Beach) have probably a couple hundred boxes of back issues with lots of bronze/copper, some silver but GA is pretty rare. Comic Kings has a big selection but not as much as those other two. I would tell you to go to all 3 of those. Benders is the first exit off the interstate as you cross the HRBT, just go early/late morning so the traffic hasn't backed up on the HRBT. You need to go there just to say you've been there.

Virginia Beach is a large place and traffic congestion can be bad. Depending on where you are and traffic, the stores can be an hour away or 15 minutes. You also have two things to consider about traffic, the business traffic that gets off at 5, and the military people that get off an hour earlier. If you are going to be in the resort area, then it's not so bad.

The Trilogy store in Norfolk is a waste of time - 5 minutes from my parents house and it's not worth the 5 minute drive.

The stores I recommended before all have silver to modern.

Benders and Trilogy (in Va. Beach) have probably a couple hundred boxes of back issues with lots of bronze/copper, some silver but GA is pretty rare. Comic Kings has a big selection but not as much as those other two. I would tell you to go to all 3 of those. Benders is the first exit off the interstate as you cross the HRBT, just go early/late morning so the traffic hasn't backed up on the HRBT. You need to go there just to say you've been there.

Virginia Beach is a large place and traffic congestion can be bad. Depending on where you are and traffic, the stores can be an hour away or 15 minutes. You also have two things to consider about traffic, the business traffic that gets off at 5, and the military people that get off an hour earlier. If you are going to be in the resort area, then it's not so bad.

The Trilogy store in Norfolk is a waste of time - 5 minutes from my parents house and it's not worth the 5 minute drive.

...this is exactly what I was going to say. Comic Kings is even a boardie who posts in Copper and Modern fairly often (COMICKINGS) ..... and if you have some wants he actually has a source for very high grade copper...but he might need some notice. With Trilogy and Benders, you may want to make arrangements so that Jerry and Dave will be at the shop when you go. Dave (Bender's)probably has a half a million back issues in the warehouse in the back of the store, but he usually won't let walk ins just go back there and dig..... but he has hundreds of boxes on the floor as well as toys, books, magazines, pulps, and more. He's been open since 1980 or so. Jerry does a LOT of Anime conventions so catching him on the weekend can be hit and miss. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to see if there were still any fellow collectors in the Northern Virginia area. 

I haven't had much luck with stores in the Northern Virginia area.  Most have lots of new stuff and tons of TPBs but not alot of older books.  Going to check out Victory Comics in Falls Church today so wish me luck!:wishluck:    

Also going to a Shoff Promotions Comic Con tomorrow in Tysons Corner.  Let me know if anyone else is going.  http://shoffpromotions.com/ 

I'm out in Ashburn but would be interested in meeting up with other collectors in the area.  PM me.  Thanks! -Jer

16 minutes ago, jeranimal said:

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to see if there were still any fellow collectors in the Northern Virginia area. 

I haven't had much luck with stores in the Northern Virginia area.  Most have lots of new stuff and tons of TPBs but not alot of older books.  Going to check out Victory Comics in Falls Church today so wish me luck!:wishluck:    

Also going to a Shoff Promotions Comic Con tomorrow in Tysons Corner.  Let me know if anyone else is going.  http://shoffpromotions.com/ 

I'm out in Ashburn but would be interested in meeting up with other collectors in the area.  PM me.  Thanks! -Jer

Would love to see a report on victory comics, or any shop in NVA. I’m in Springfield and don’t have a local joint...all online. Like you, been to a few but all new stuff...

2 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Would love to see a report on victory comics, or any shop in NVA. I’m in Springfield and don’t have a local joint...all online. Like you, been to a few but all new stuff...

Yeah, I'll let you know how it goes.  Are you interested in the con tomorrow in Tysons?  Only $3 to get in  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, jeranimal said:

Yeah, I'll let you know how it goes.  Are you interested in the con tomorrow in Tysons?  Only $3 to get in  (thumbsu

So...I spent last night at the Doubletree in Tysons so I could get a feel for this small show.  Too bad I was a day early.  Laughed at myself, drove the hour home, be back tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

From their website

Victory Comics is also your premier source for back issues -- featuring the most extensive back issue comic inventory in the Washington Metropolitan area.  Our decade-long experience as a convention seller has allowed us to assemble an impressive back issue inventory that spans the entire history of comicdom.  And our network of contacts throughout the nation means if we don't have it we can get it for you.  Victory Comics is fully equipped and ready to help you build the comic collection of your dreams!

Well I'm happy to report that Victory Comics did have the best inventory of back issues that I've seen in the Northern Virginia area - which isn't say a whole lot - but I was pretty impressed!  They had new books, statues, posters, TPBs, Omnibuses, oversized Artists Editions, and back issues.  Their back issue selection was pretty impressive and their prices were reasonable.  Lots of bronze and silver age books and even a few Golden Age books.  They had some CGC slabs in the showcase, lots of wall books, and a closed off section of the pricier back issues that you had to ask permission to browse in. 

I didn't end up buying anything but I found some X-Men back issues (117, 119, 124, 126, 128) that I need to help fill some holes in my collection.  They were all in mid-range to higher grade books and were less than $20 each.  I took some pictures to help show what I found.

IMG_4542.jpg

IMG_4538.jpg

IMG_4546.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4550.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

IMG_4545.jpg

Edited by jeranimal