• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC World Finest #6. 96 pages, rippled spots on case from pressure?

8 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a CGC 6.0 copy of World's Finest #6. Upon receiving the comic I noticed it has what I would call spots that when looked at in the light or at a certain angle have a kind of rippled edge to them like when a stone hits water. Has anyone seen this before? It looks like since the comic is so thick that it's really squeezed into the case so I'm not sure if the spots are the result of where the inner bag/case is pressing against the plastic case. The book was graded Sept of 2015.

Hopefully the pics help, it's a little hard to explain. The 2nd pic is a closeup, the most obvious spot in this pic is touching the chest of the man shaking Robin's hand. There are about 15 of these spots in total.

If anyone knows what this is I would greatly appreciate any info. Thanks!

mmd4c5.jpg[/img]

o6ck0p.jpg[/img]

Do a search on "Newton rings" and you'll find a ton of discussion. As buttock says, it's the result of plastic touching plastic and isn't causing any damage to the book, although it can be a bit unsightly.

Thanks for the info everyone. I was definitely a little freaked out when I saw it. But then I noticed how insanely thick the book was and figured it must have something to do with it pressing against the case. I'm glad to hear it shouldn't cause any damage. I got such a good deal on the price, I didn't want to have to return it. Thanks again!

I got such a good deal on the price, I didn't want to have to return it.

Yes, the World's Finest books have been sitting in the collectors' doghouse now for at least a couple of decades, similar to how stone cold dead the Wonder Woman books were a few years ago, prior to her big movie announcement.

Wonder if they'll ever pop back to life. Maybe they need to have a movie done up with both of these characters together. Oh darn, they already did and it didn't seem to have helped at all. doh!lol

Anyways, I have always loved these early 100 pagers from DC with the cardboard covers, even though they don't seem to do that well in the marketplace. Looks like the World's Finest did quite well in the recent HA auctions. Completely different animal though since those were DC's from the early 50's which seems to be extremely tough to track down.

I got such a good deal on the price, I didn't want to have to return it.

Yes, the World's Finest books have been sitting in the collectors' doghouse now for at least a couple of decades, similar to how stone cold dead the Wonder Woman books were a few years ago, prior to her big movie announcement.

Wonder if they'll ever pop back to life. Maybe they need to have a movie done up with both of these characters together. Oh darn, they already did and it didn't seem to have helped at all. doh!lol

Anyways, I have always loved these early 100 pagers from DC with the cardboard covers, even though they don't seem to do that well in the marketplace. Looks like the World's Finest did quite well in the recent HA auctions. Completely different animal though since those were DC's from the early 50's which seems to be extremely tough to track down.

It's a puzzlement why more collectors aren't chasing down all those great covers with Superman, Batman and Robin playing hopscotch, hanging laundry, or building sand castles.

As everyone said, there is no issue with the book itself, it is fine. However, if it bothers you, the 'spots' can be removed by getting something in between the outer case and inner well. I generally take a long envelope and go in through the side of the case, gently of course. However, I never did it with a thicker book like this. Cool book !