• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highest Grade of GA book with tape?

10 posts in this topic

I am considering an early GA book that is probably in Very Fine condition or thereabouts, except for a 1/2" band of tape down the whole spine on front and back covers. No bleeding or color touch was noted. I assume the tape is the limiting factor in grading. What would be the highest grade it could achieve?

I am considering an early GA book that is probably in Very Fine condition or thereabouts, except for a 1/2" band of tape down the whole spine on front and back covers. No bleeding or color touch was noted. I assume the tape is the limiting factor in grading. What would be the highest grade it could achieve?

I've definitely seen 4.0s on books like this. Not sure if I've seen any higher grade.

Depends on the type of tape and if the tape is being used to conserve/restore the book or if the tape is unnecessary.

+1 Also, the amount of tape on the book can factor into the grade.

strange%20Worlds%209%20tag_zpsokghsxtr.jpg

The OP was referring to the situation where the whole spine is taped. That kind of taping would never get a 7.0.

Depends on the type of tape and if the tape is being used to conserve/restore the book or if the tape is unnecessary.

+1 Also, the amount of tape on the book can factor into the grade.

strange%20Worlds%209%20tag_zpsokghsxtr.jpg

The OP was referring to the situation where the whole spine is taped. That kind of taping would never get a 7.0.

Agreed, but a previous post suggested that a book with tape would not grade higher than VG+. He was possibly referring to that amount of tape (the entire spine). I just wanted to show that a book with a small amount of tape can grade higher than VG+.