• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which ASM issues did Ditko ink?

12 posts in this topic

I don't know if there is a prior thread on this, but does anyone have any views or knowledge about which issues, if any, weren't inked by Ditko? I know he gets credit on every issue, but I have corresponded with collectors who are of the opinion that some pages don't look like they are "pure Ditko" and may have been inked by someone else.

I don't know if there is a prior thread on this, but does anyone have any views or knowledge about which issues, if any, weren't inked by Ditko? I know he gets credit on every issue, but I have corresponded with collectors who are of the opinion that some pages don't look like they are "pure Ditko" and may have been inked by someone else.

Some pages may have been inked more carefully than others accounting for at least some differences in quality even if the inking is "all Ditko."

This is a surprise to me, it's always looked like Ditko inks on his ASM books.

From what I've seen of Stanton's inks (without any Ditko input), they seem markedly different than Ditko's.

Perhaps Stanton spotted some blacks or did minor background work; I too would be interested to see any figure work that folks believed was inked by Stanton.

GCD lists a couple of instances where there were other inkers involved but those are somewhat minor instances and don't appear to cover an entire book- a figure here, a panel there.

Eric Stanton was not one of those inkers listed. With what issues is he alleged to be involved?

If I recall right (and that's a long shot), Stanton said he did a lot of inking on ASM 1. He also suggested he had something to do with the concept of webshooters, which makes a certain kind of thematic sense.

This from Wiki:

In a 1988 interview with Theakston, Stanton recalled that although his contribution to Spider-Man was "almost nil", he and Ditko had "worked on storyboards together and I added a few ideas. But the whole thing was created by Steve on his own... I think I added the business about the webs coming out of his hands".

If I recall right (and that's a long shot), Stanton said he did a lot of inking on ASM 1. He also suggested he had something to do with the concept of webshooters, which makes a certain kind of thematic sense.

This from Wiki:

In a 1988 interview with Theakston, Stanton recalled that although his contribution to Spider-Man was "almost nil", he and Ditko had "worked on storyboards together and I added a few ideas. But the whole thing was created by Steve on his own... I think I added the business about the webs coming out of his hands".

Adding the webshooters is "Kinda a big deal". It changes the way the character engages with enemies and travels. Didn't know he had that level of contribution, honestly wasn't familiar with the man before this conversation. The things you learn.

Adding to the difficulty of spotting assists on a Ditko page is the fact that Ditko's style on the Spider-man book changed every few issues and sometimes from issue to issue. Remember when I was a kid the biggest Ditko fans could practically tell you what month a spider-man sketch wa drawn based on which ASM issue the figure most resembled.

I see what you did there...

I don't know. I just always assumed if the inks looked rough on an early SM panel that it might be Stanton helping out. Never heard of anyone else working on Spidey. There are unmistakeable Ditko moments in lots of Stanton's work, though Steve denied it.