• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAN LEE documentary (2023)
1 1

45 posts in this topic

If the stars align just right, two of comics' most legendary creators will receive their own biopic before long. Franklin Leonard's 2020 The Black List was unveiled Monday morning and on it was a -script for Excelsior!, a -script circulating Hollywood looking at the formation of Marvel Comics and its two primary architects — the late great duo of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Written by screenwriter Alex Convery, the -script is a look at "The true story of the meteoric rise (and subsequent fall) of Marvel Comics and the star-crossed creators behind the panel."

Leonard's Black List is an annual ranking of unproduced scripts floating around Tinsel Town as the screenwriters and their teams aim to pitch them to studios and financiers. Though Excelsior! has yet to land at a production house, several of this year's features have already found a home with producers, including Chris Pratt's The Black Belt, and Taraji P. Henson's Two-Faced.

Lee and Kirby ended up teaming up on several of Marvel's earliest comics, creating the majority of mainstream characters fans have come to know and love. Some of those creations include the original X-Men Team, the Fantastic Four, the Inhumans, Black Panther, Iron Man, Silver Surfer, and hundreds more.

Kirby passed away in 1994 while Lee died in 2018. Earlier this year, Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige attributed the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe to the likes of Lee, Kirby, and Steve Ditko.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

there are so many versions of those early marvel days in the first half of the sixties, who did what, who said what. i imagine they'll overdramatize everything, spend the most time on stan lee, and add some T & A as hollywood does, but i dont envision a compelling dramatic film or one with any real insight into the reality behind the creation of these beloved characters.

We've come upon the third anniversary of the legendary Stan Lee's passing away, and the passage of time doesn't make his loss any easier. Lee's legacy carries on at Marvel Comics, as the company continues to publish stories starring many of the characters he helped guide during his illustrious career. Marvel Studios is chugging along as well, especially with Disney+ Day falling on the anniversary of Lee's death on November 12th. Fans around the world have taken to social media to commemorate Stan Lee and how he has touched their lives.

"Stan Lee" began trending on Friday with many tweets featuring fans posing with Lee, along with some of his most iconic cameos in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Audiences had become accustomed to seeing Stan Lee pop up in MCU films each year, and now it feels odd to not see him delivering a humorous line to the likes of Simu Liu's Shang-Chi or any of the Eternals. Some of the many hashtags found on Twitter include #StanLee and #StanLeeForever. 

Many of the projects featured on Disney+ Day have a link back to Lee, who helped shape the Marvel Comics Universe. If it wasn't for his stamp of approval on heroes like Spider-Man and the Avengers, we wouldn't be getting new projects like Marvel's Spider-Man: Freshman Year, X-Men '97, or all the Avengers spinoffs in the works.

I wonder since Disney picked up even these rights from Fox if this movie will ever get made?

Speaking on his latest FatMan Beyond Live episode, Smith was asked the question and replied: "Stan Lee would make an amazing biopic....I don't think I'm talented to tell that story though. I think I'm only good enough to do the Kevin Smith biopic, but if somebody was like here's a blank check and you can do whatever you want, as far as biopics go I think I would try to go with Stan Lee."

Smith was among the first in Hollywood to really publicly idolize Lee, having him cameo in his second feature film Mallrats as himself which lead to appearances in other films, cartoons, and TV shows over the years. The filmmaker posted a lengthy, heartfelt tribute to Lee upon his death, writing: "Outside of my parents, you were the one adult who gave me the most useful life skills I still use today. Thank you, Stan, for making me not only the boy I was but also the man I am today. You had great power and you always used it responsibly, fostering billions of dreamers who all know your name – a name written in the stars for all time. You were not just the literary titan of comic books, you were our modern day Mark Twain. I will miss you all my days, my friend and hero. Excelsior forevermore."

Agree a Stan Lee biopic would be interesting and with MCU movies raking in big bucks, may be good timing. Not sure on Smith directing as I'm not sure how objective he could be in directing this. Lots of good to cover but also there are warts.

On 5/19/2022 at 2:22 AM, Bosco685 said:

That's not terribly promising. 

The backlash has started online as well and I agree with the pitchforks on this one. He was exploited in his later years and now he will continue his servitude in the afterlife. I wonder where his paycheck is going. 

The classy move would be to use that license for one thing and one thing only. To end every Marvel movie’s post credit scene in remembrance of Stan Lee with a photo of him.

Baby steps. At least for now they are working on a documentary.

Marvel Entertainment tweeted a 25-second video on Wednesday confirming the 2023 release of a Disney+ documentary on Stan Lee. The announcement aligns with what would have been the 100th birthday of the late comic creator.

“100 years of dreaming. 100 years of creating. 100 years of Stan Lee,” Marvel Entertainment wrote in a caption that accompanied the teaser. “Stan Lee, an Original documentary, is streaming 2023 on @DisneyPlus.”

A new documentary about the life and times of the late Stan Lee has been released on Disney+, and the family of one of Lee's most frequent collaborators isn't too happy about the project. Saturday, Jack Kirby's son Neal released a statement through the Twitter account of his daughter Jillian, criticizing the documentary for treating Kirby—a creator of many of Marvel's most popular characters—as an after thought.

"It's not any big secret that there has always been controversy over the parts that were played in the creation and success of Marvel's characters. Stan Lee had the fortunate circumstance to have access to the corporate megaphone and media, and he used these to create his own mythos as to the creation of the Marvel character pantheon," the statement reads.

Finally had a chance to watch Disney+'s Stan Lee documentary.

To me, very well done. And even in Stan Lee's own words, The Marvel Way was the creative partnership between the writer and artist controlling the story together. Meaning Lee and Kirby creating the foundation of Marvel together. Though the statement is so brief.

He does state how Kirby and Ditko helped make it all come together. But naturally it is a focus on how Stan Lee was the key driving force from Timely to Atlas to Marvel.

Worth the watch.