• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do I have a problem?

74 posts in this topic

I've taken the liberty of notifying TLC that theres a great candidate for an upcoming episode of "Hoarders" here on the CGC forum

I would think a high percentage of boardies would tune in to 'Horders - Comics edition'

I think many of us could be featured on the show. I know my wife would nominate me.

My wife insists on us watching that show and she keeps on giving me nasty looks and nodding her head during each episode. I usually respond that I have no dead animals in my comics and there is no food garbage up there!

I've taken the liberty of notifying TLC that theres a great candidate for an upcoming episode of "Hoarders" here on the CGC forum

I would think a high percentage of boardies would tune in to 'Horders - Comics edition'

I think many of us could be featured on the show. I know my wife would nominate me.

My wife insists on us watching that show and she keeps on giving me nasty looks and nodding her head during each episode. I usually respond that I have no dead animals in my comics and there is no food garbage up there!

I get it too...ive only about 40 boxes...and a room ,well house,of junque..but tidey,no mantraps,bugs,....

Oakman can help you with those live animals.

Look, you've mentioned that most of the stuff you have isn't great, that you have a lot at home and at work and that your wife and kids think you have too much. Why not start going through your books and cutting down what you have. Get rid of the spoon that has no value and no likely future value? Perhaps use that money to buy a few keys or something you've always wanted?

a picture of your office in all it's comic book hoarding glory would probably help us give the more informed opinion (an added bonus would be one of your room at home).

In general, you might have a bit of a buying compulsion problem if you have so many you don't even know for sure what you have. You probably have more books in your office than I have in my whole collection though from the sounds of it, so what do I know. If you are happy, what else matters?

Hiding it?

No, I actually have a framed GA comic in my office and a Gulacy poster up right now

And for a long time the comics were out and about. Nobody cared. Stacks of comics sitting on a shelf, etc., but I cleaned up a bit and shoved them in boxes and put them under my desk to get them out of the way.

I just had not realized how many I had until I boxed them up. They had been in drawers, non-comic boxes...

Oh wait, I missed one on the top of a cabinet! Make that 10 boxes!

Just wondering if this sort of office comic accumulation is weird by cgc board standards.

Just sounds lazy and unmotivated....you'll tackle it one day

Look, you've mentioned that most of the stuff you have isn't great, that you have a lot at home and at work and that your wife and kids think you have too much. Why not start going through your books and cutting down what you have. Get rid of the spoon that has no value and no likely future value? Perhaps use that money to buy a few keys or something you've always wanted?

I work/commute 55-60 hours a week and have 2 kids and a wife who works two jobs, so when I get home I am dealing with the kids, making dinner, laundry, etc. Plus I'm fat and old. I'm tired man, that's why I do a pizz poor job of selling these off. Once upon a time I had the energy to work ebay/the boards for 2-3 hours a night, 5 or 6 days a week. Now I'm lucky to be able to squeeze enough life out of this broken down shell of a human to do that once a week. I need whatever happy pills Flying Donut uses to get alll this done.

Hiding it?

No, I actually have a framed GA comic in my office and a Gulacy poster up right now

And for a long time the comics were out and about. Nobody cared. Stacks of comics sitting on a shelf, etc., but I cleaned up a bit and shoved them in boxes and put them under my desk to get them out of the way.

I just had not realized how many I had until I boxed them up. They had been in drawers, non-comic boxes...

Oh wait, I missed one on the top of a cabinet! Make that 10 boxes!

Just wondering if this sort of office comic accumulation is weird by cgc board standards.

Just sounds lazy and unmotivated....you'll tackle it one day

Just because it's true doesn't mean it my feelings aren't hurt.

Hard to break old habits. While it might take seemingly forever, if you just took a small stack of them home with you each day, it would eventually all be moved.

baby steps to finish the task. The same goes for getting the home based hoard sort of organized.

wish you luck with this-- though it might not be a bad idea to find someone with lots of energy (and who you trust) to help you work on the home portion of the project. Maybe that daughter who said "you have a problem" would give a hand and in the process share your passion someday. I bet most of us only wish we had a mom or dad who had a huge collection like this to admire. But we are a unique breed.

I work/commute 55-60 hours a week and have 2 kids and a wife who works two jobs, so when I get home I am dealing with the kids, making dinner, laundry, etc. Plus I'm fat and old. I'm tired man, that's why I do a pizz poor job of selling these off. Once upon a time I had the energy to work ebay/the boards for 2-3 hours a night, 5 or 6 days a week. Now I'm lucky to be able to squeeze enough life out of this broken down shell of a human to do that once a week. I need whatever happy pills Flying Donut uses to get alll this done.

Understood, it's a lot of work and life gets crazy. There are a lot of part time sellers here who would likely be happy to buy them off you or do the work for a cut. Win win

I basically have the same. A wife, a one year old, a fairly demanding job with a two hour commute....but the good news is that it gets so much easier once you get over the hump and get your collection/inventory organized and at a manageable level. My collection is maybe 10 shorts, my inventory 5-6 shorts. I focus a lot more on quality than quantity. That $6 book you find in the quarter bin? Leave it. It's a tiny cut, and you end up dying once you accumulate a few thousand of them. It takes discipline, but just remember that the time spent buying and selling junk is time you could have spent buying and selling something better. Put a $20 low limit on purchases and force yourself to only buy when you can comfortably double up at wholesale.

Understood, it's a lot of work and life gets crazy. There are a lot of part time sellers here who would likely be happy to buy them off you or do the work for a cut. Win win

gabe or chip

That $6 book you find in the quarter bin? Leave it. It's a tiny cut, and you end up dying once you accumulate a few thousand of them.

----

I know. It's just that so much of what is my $10-$25 inventory was bought for $1 or less, it's hard to say no. I tend to think about the winning purchases, but less about the stuff that I am "aging" that may never get ripe.

My buying is actually way down. It helps to be broke. Plus, I'm seeing less good stuff cheap. Shops are looking everything up now. Frequently it's often just the money I am not spending if I skip lunch a couple of days in a row I wind up plowing into some cheap-o books.

That $6 book you find in the quarter bin? Leave it. It's a tiny cut, and you end up dying once you accumulate a few thousand of them.

----

I know. It's just that so much of what is my $10-$25 inventory was bought for $1 or less, it's hard to say no. I tend to think about the winning purchases, but less about the stuff that I am "aging" that may never get ripe.

I just think about the time it will take to realize that profit....and acknowledge that I will never have it. I know a lot of guys with basements full of stuff, and it just seems like dead money to me. Nobody who isn't a full time dealer (and even many people who are) have the bandwidth to process and profit off of books like that in a way that makes sense. It's simply too time consuming. I'd rather scrap that end and spend my time looking for books at a higher price point.

The margins are great on cheap books, but you don't fill your wallet with margin. Moving my thinking from ROI to NPV was one of the best things I could have done. Better to make 25% on $1000 than 2500% on $1.

In another couple of years I will make my son earn his keep by setting him up at flea markets with a table and 7 long boxes of cheap books. Don't call me to come pick you up kid until you've cleared $200!