• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Supermans first flight ?

55 posts in this topic

I sent an Action #123 into CGC and asked them if it would be put on the label.

I'll let you know as soon as I get it back from Joey.

The seller I bought it from on here had it listed as the first time Superman was noted to fly instead of Jumping (or something similar) so I wonder what CGC will do.

I guess its when 'jumping' was actually directly stated as 'flying' - but if that was Action #123 or not, I honestly don't know now (shrug)

Still happy to have the book though!

Superman's 1st flight is NOT Action Comics #123 from 1948, it is 4 years earlier in Superman #30 from 1944. I showed this to Overstreet so he added the remark "Superman flies for the first time" under Superman #30 in the price guide,

but forgot to remove it from Action Comics #123.

Here's is the splash page from Superman #30 showing his 1st flight.

Superman says, "I-- I thought I was the only man who could fly!"

Mxyztplk_zps54702264.jpg

Great conversation!

As for Action Comics #65 vs. Action Comics #123, that seems like a long time frame between the two issues (October '43 vs. August '48) for there to be much ambiguity. I don't have either of those issues, so I can't be of much help there.

I do, however, have an issue of Superman #30...so let me chime in.

The pic that Timely posted above is of the opening splash page for this story, and as we all now, they can sometimes exaggerate with their hyping of the following story. Yes, Superman says he's flying, but is he speaking metaphorically? It's not like we see him moving in the air under controlled flight, and he has that classic bent knee pose which conjures up images of jumping more than the straight knees flying pose.

I investigated further into the story and Superman can be seen bursting out of a window of a skyscraper to chase after Mr. Mxyzptlk. In the next panel, we can clearly see him adjusting his flight pattern in a zig-zag fashion, which to me confirms controlled flight! Add that to the fact that he actually says he's flying on the opening page, and we have definite confirmation.

He still is using the bent leg pose, however, so I wonder what the first use of the straight leg with fully extended arms flight pose is. A subject for another thread, perhaps.

Now I don't have a copy of Action Comics #65, which came out a year before Superman #30, so I'll leave it for others to make their claim that this issues features his first flying appearance. The link referenced above doesn't give any proof one way or the other, aside from showing the cover. Granted, Superman is landing on the cover in a way that implies that he was originally flying, rather than jumping. He's also punching an oversized cash register, which in turn knocks out a giant crook, so you can't really argue the merits on of this cover on the laws of physics alone.

It would be nice for Superman #30 to be the real issue, as it's also the 1st Mr. Mxyzptlk. Although Mxy first appeared in the newspaper strips, while the Fleischer cartoons appear to be the first actual case of Superman flying. Seems appropriate for these two show up together in the comics for the first time.

Do two "kinda" 1st appearances add up for double the significance?!

I'm seeing more hobby support for Action 123 than anything anyone else has posted yet.

Here is a Heritage lot listing that also states Action 123 as first flight :

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/action-comics-123-dc-1948-condition-gd-vg-wayne-boring-cover-first-time-superman-flies-rather-than-leaps-overstreet/a/13042-15006.s

This is hardly a definitive or closed case for any other book, at least not based on anything anyone else has posted thus far.

-J.

The links above seem to be more a confirmation of the notation in Overstreet, than anything else. Overstreet also lists Superman #30 for 1st flying too, so there goes that argument.

I'd love to see the in-story reference to flying for Action Comics #123. Anybody got a reader copy laying around they don't mind cracking open for reference?

Edited by tomo

I was after the first superman flight book and did some research. I'm on the Superman 30 side, the fact it's in the text is what sways me. And it's 4 years earlier then Action 123.

A certain grading company also puts it on their label as the first time he flies, if that means anything to anyone here.

There's a site that has all the early actions online available to read. I don't know if it's okay to post that here, but checking #30, I'd say I'm not sure that that one counts as definitively flying. While it does mention him "soaring" at one point, that doesn't necessarily mean he was soaring due to being able to fly, it could just be describing a big leap. In #60, lois lane gains superman's powers (although it looks just to be a dream sequence), but she certainly does appear to be flying, as it shows her path through the sky in one panel and she's zipping back and forth between buildings and circling buildings. In #65, a kid asks superman "lets see you fly", and in the next panel it's possible he is flying off, but its also possible it's just a leap. In 67 he sure looks to be flying given the arcing paths he takes through the sky.

I know his initial tagline was, "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!" but I didn't realize he never flew for more than 120 issues!

I actually think a Superman who can't fly sounds a lot more intriguing. Makes the power of flight for someone like Hawkman (or Mr. Mxyzptlk) that much more impressive.