• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"ALVIN" PEDIGREE from the GA

8 posts in this topic

HI everyone, jeez I love this forum...Here is a picture of the very first GA book I ever owned. My Aunt Rosemary bought this for me for 9.00 way back when in 1981. It was purchased out of a store located in Tacoma, Washington, I was 11 years old.... Notice how ALVIN rubber stamped his name in big letters on the cover

Thrilling11.jpg

Then....17 years later, in '98, I picked this up...I still can't believe it.......

advALVIN.jpg
Straight out of the collection of some kid named "ALVIN" from the beginnings of the Golden Age and into mine....I've been searching for 7 full years since then , trying to find another " ALVIN" copy....no luck so far...I'm just happy to have my two issues from what I have dubbed the "ALVIN PEDIGREE"....thanks, James.

It is definetly cool that you picked up 2 ALVIN books so many years apart.

I don't recall seeing one before. I've got a few books where the former owner scrawled their name on the cover and have wondered how much more of their collection is still floating around and what was in it.

I think it's very cool, Ajaxfarrell!

Also, I like how this really takes you back into the mindset of the original owners of these GA books. It's hard to see in the scans, but it looks like both books have other former owners' names on them?...Alvin may been looking to override them with his own. I have a couple of GA books with very similar "ownership disputes"...2 different kids' names (siblings?) written on the cover and crossed out multiple times. Also have a Spiderman #19 where the same kind of "dispute" takes place, and isn't resolved on the cover even after multiple tries from both parties, thus it continues onto the splash page...

Anyway, great stuff!, and I wish you luck in your quest. I always look for low-grade early GAs myself, and will start keeping an eye out for additional "Alvins". thumbsup2.gif

You know what, I never ever considered that fact. I guess at one point there was another name on there and he put his name on. I guess I never gave it much thought. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm really glad I posted this now.

I think it's very cool, Ajaxfarrell!

Also, I like how this really takes you back into the mindset of the original owners of these GA books. It's hard to see in the scans, but it looks like both books have other former owners' names on them?...Alvin may been looking to override them with his own. I have a couple of GA books with very similar "ownership disputes"...2 different kids' names (siblings?) written on the cover and crossed out multiple times. Also have a Spiderman #19 where the same kind of "dispute" takes place, and isn't resolved on the cover even after multiple tries from both parties, thus it continues onto the splash page...

Anyway, great stuff!, and I wish you luck in your quest. I always look for low-grade early GAs myself, and will start keeping an eye out for additional "Alvins". thumbsup2.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

I would be interested in seeing a comic like that just for the entertainment value of the sibling rivalry. I know a bit about that myself.

Adamstrange, no scans of the Amazing Spiderman #19 for you but I did take a closer look at it the other night. On the front cover, the initials "G.M." appear in black pen but are mostly erased...then lower down on the cover, "A.M." appears in blue pen, crossed out in pencil. Opening to the splash page, we see someone named "Steve" enter the picture by signing his name in black pen, promptly crossed out by A.M.'s or G.M.'s blue pen...then "G.M." makes a strong finish in blue pen, only to be crossed out with pencil. (Given how many times this book must have changed hands back then, it's actually kind of remarkable that it survived in VG-ish condition...)

And hey, ajaxfarrell, having an aunt who would buy a copy of Thrilling #11 for you is pretty cool in itself!