• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comic should I get signed by Stan Lee?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

Hi. I am looking to get a comic signed by Stan Lee but I don't know which comic to have him sign. To me the most obvious choice seems to be Amazing Spider-Man 300. I know that it's a popular choice, and I love Venom and Spiderman so that's a comic I would like him to sign. With that said I understand that Stan Lee did not create Venom or have any involvement in the making of spiderman 300. So would it be a mistake to buy that comic for him to sign? I know the common response would be to have him sign something he worked on personally, but I can't see anything that interests me (that's in my price range). My budget is around $200 to spend on a comic for him to sign. The only comics I own that I would have him sign would be a 9.6 spiderman 361 and a 9.4 gold lethal protector. Does any of that seem like a good choice? Any recommendations on a comic to buy for him to sign? I don't intend on selling the comic he signs aaaaaaanyyyyy time soon but I will probably only meet Stan Lee this once so I want to make sure I get a comic that will go up in value with his signature over time. Thanks in advance for the help! :)

You're going to get a thousand different opinions on which book, so I'll just add my $0.02 in this manner -- throw your book budget out. If this is likely to be your one and only Stan op, spend whatever you need to in order to get the book you truly want him to sign.

Quick story -- WW Chicago, kid comes up to the booth looking for a $5 blank cover so he can have a Barry Kitson commission done. We suggest a $10 Avenging Spider-Man blank, and he says "no, too much". We stare at each other perplexed.

Moral of the story -- You're already paying for the experience, don't cheap out on the product.

Hi thank you so much to everyone for replying to my post. I've read many interesting replies and here is my response to most of them. I would like to find a comic that is Spider-Man only. While I like the Fantastic Four and such the only character from anything that's not spider-man from Stan Lee that I love is Dr. Doom. Spider-man however is my childhood hero (besides batman) and so I am most compelled to buy a spider-man comic. I am new to collecting comics so my collection is not huge and such I do not own any comics he wrote. I am interested in buying a comic he wrote like many of you have suggested. I would like to find a comic that is significant to the story (something that would come back from the cgc with key notes). I love the suggestion of Spider-man 90 but I feel like it doesn't necessarily call out to me. It's definitely a key issue and one that Stan Lee wrote, but captain Stacey doesn't really pack a punch with me. With that said I appreciate the suggestion and will still keep it in mind. If any else knows of any other key events from stan that are in my budget I'd appreciate it if you could share them with me. I also want a comic that looks nice on the cover. I'm not just talking about the cover art but also the condition. I know low-mid grade comics are probably what my budget will bring me to, but I would like one that looks presentable and not beat up and torn. I am a college student so that's why my budget is around $200-$250. I'm not trying to go cheap on the comic I buy, it's just that if I go any higher I won't have any money left to do anything at the convention. Hopefully this helps you help me find a comic for him to sign. I really appreciate the responses and hope to get more. Thanks again! :)

Here's my early Spidey signed by Stan. The signature has more significance to me, as it's on a book he actually wrote:

asm%2010%20fc148.jpg

spidey%2010125.jpg

This one looks great

Hi thank you so much to everyone for replying to my post. I've read many interesting replies and here is my response to most of them. I would like to find a comic that is Spider-Man only. While I like the Fantastic Four and such the only character from anything that's not spider-man from Stan Lee that I love is Dr. Doom. Spider-man however is my childhood hero (besides batman) and so I am most compelled to buy a spider-man comic. I am new to collecting comics so my collection is not huge and such I do not own any comics he wrote. I am interested in buying a comic he wrote like many of you have suggested. I would like to find a comic that is significant to the story (something that would come back from the cgc with key notes). I love the suggestion of Spider-man 90 but I feel like it doesn't necessarily call out to me. It's definitely a key issue and one that Stan Lee wrote, but captain Stacey doesn't really pack a punch with me. With that said I appreciate the suggestion and will still keep it in mind. If any else knows of any other key events from stan that are in my budget I'd appreciate it if you could share them with me. I also want a comic that looks nice on the cover. I'm not just talking about the cover art but also the condition. I know low-mid grade comics are probably what my budget will bring me to, but I would like one that looks presentable and not beat up and torn. I am a college student so that's why my budget is around $200-$250. I'm not trying to go cheap on the comic I buy, it's just that if I go any higher I won't have any money left to do anything at the convention. Hopefully this helps you help me find a comic for him to sign. I really appreciate the responses and hope to get more. Thanks again! :)

... books that can be found in decent shape @ 200 that have significance ....

ASM Annual 1.................................................1st Sinister Six

ASM Annual 2.................................................Dr Strange X-over

ASM 25...........................................................Mary Jane

ASM 31...........................................................1st Gwen, Harry Osborne

ASM 42...........................................................Mary Jane

ASM 50...........................................................Kingpin

...... many more, but that's a start. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Just as a different perspective... I wanted a Stan Lee sig. He is such a legend in our hobby...

But, I'm a big Batfan and couldn't justify the spend on a key Lee book.

So, Wall-Crawler, legend that he is, helped me out by lining me up a book with Stan on the cover (The Marvel No Prize book #1) and arranging an SS....

f4_5557667_0_TheMarvelNoPrizeBook_1LestWeShouldGoof.jpg

Screw what everyone & anyone else thinks, and to hell with the "resale value", too: pick a book that YOU like...one that means something to you, regardless of what the experts and "the market" says...and get it signed by Stan (while you still can -- he ain't getting any younger) because YOU like it.

You will never go wrong by working hard for your money, and only playing with what you can afford to lose. But...when you do play, do it your way: it's your dough, and nobody knows you and what will make you happy better than you do...

:sumo:

Screw what everyone & anyone else thinks, and to hell with the "resale value", too: pick a book that YOU like...one that means something to you, regardless of what the experts and "the market" says...and get it signed by Stan (while you still can -- he ain't getting any younger) because YOU like it.

You will never go wrong by working hard for your money, and only playing with what you can afford to lose. But...when you do play, do it your way: it's your dough, and nobody knows you and what will make you happy better than you do...

:sumo:

And for that matter-- why bother having it SS encapsulated? The book is for you as a keepsake-- no need to have it authenticated as the point isn't selling it down the line. Have him sign a book you like and frame it up for your wall.

So here's an alternative.

If you're set on getting something signed and SSed then never mind this suggestion, but...

if auto fees are different for CGC SS vs not CGC SS, but if they are I'd say go the non-CGC SS route and get something else signed by him (you still get the experience, and get something cool signed, maybe something that displays well like a poster or litho)

Then you can get a CGC SS Stan Lee book all over the market, and in many many cases you can get it for less than the cost of the book+signing fee+CGC SS fees.

I went this route.

Met Stan, got something signed and then watched the auctions and got this baby for $130, way less than what it would have cost...

HIQgGfy.png

So here's an alternative.

If you're set on getting something signed and SSed then never mind this suggestion, but...

if auto fees are different for CGC SS vs not CGC SS, but if they are I'd say go the non-CGC SS route and get something else signed by him (you still get the experience, and get something cool signed, maybe something that displays well like a poster or litho)

Then you can get a CGC SS Stan Lee book all over the market, and in many many cases you can get it for less than the cost of the book+signing fee+CGC SS fees.

I went this route.

Met Stan, got something signed and then watched the auctions and got this baby for $130, way less than what it would have cost...

HIQgGfy.png

SMART BUY

If you can get a signed CGC SS on eBay for $150 or less that's roughly what the cost of the signature and slabbing w/ shipping is today, so that's where a base line minimum value of $150 for a CCG autographed comic as an estimated value

.....another option?

2s806k7.jpg2aihrvs.jpg

Nice! Back when he was still including the second E in Lee. And like other 'old school' collectors I much prefer splash page sigs to cover defacement.

To OP, I think best idea so far is get a sentimental item signed, and buy an existing collectible with a good Lee sig. His is most common sig., so, in the coming years, selecting between books w Stan Lee sig may eventually boil down to clarity of sig and placement.

On 9/21/2016 at 12:51 PM, grebal said:

I think as recently as July I might have posted a comment to the effect that I think sigs on the cover is defacement, except for maybe artist's work but only if unobtrusive.

Then I came across this in my box. Not even a spectacular book or anything, but I've seen the light - I like my sig book.

Anyway, good luck getting Stan to sign where you want to, I heard great idea: tape a template over the cover so that only space for sig is exactly where you want it (then only need worry about orientation and mishandling, etc.).

DBwQC8h.jpg

Ya I agree he is known for running books with his bulky siganture that sig is nice man a decent spot and beautiful sig how didn't you get hcancel m to sign so nice I have met him twice and here's the difference in getting Stan to sign during a open signing and a private signing 

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

Edited by Aliens

1 minute ago, Aliens said:

Ya I agree he is known for running books with his bulky siganture that sig is nice man a decent spot and beautiful sig how didn't you get hcancel m to sign so nice I have met him twice and here's the difference in getting Stan to sign during a open signing and a private signing 

Pure luck.  And he signed that FF 66 over 30 years ago, in mid-80s.  At that point splash pages were still by far the more common place, even for Stan.

On 9/21/2016 at 4:39 AM, AKA Rick said:

With Stan Lee autographs, the material itself isn't as important nor the grade, as the signature that adds value. So, in my opinion, having Stan sign a CGC 9.8 book ruins the book, as there's purists who hold autographs to disdain. If you have Stan sign a 3.5 or 7.0 book, it bumps the desirability of a mid-grade book to an upper echelon, improving the value.

This is my exact opinion too. Back in the day, it was customary to have the talent sign on the inside first page at the bottom just above all the publishing information.  basically because back then it was frowned upon to "Ruin" the cover with a signature. Oh, how times have changed.  It was even worse for sportcards back then too. For most people a signature pretty much made the card worthless to collectors.

What I did was I just bought two copies of Fantastic Four Annual #5. Stan Lee Wrote it. One was a CGC 9.2, and the other was a 7.0 signed by Stan Lee. The signed copy I bought on eBay for $200. So here's another caveat. for how much it's going to cost to buy the book you want, and then pay the exorbitant fee from Comicon to stand in line to have him sign it, and then pay a third time to have CGC grade it. Your best bet is probably do what I did and buy one already certified by CGC on eBay. I can almost guarantee, even if the person who sold this to me already owned the comic book, the price to pay to have Stan sign it, and the Price to pay to have CGC certify it probably costed more that what I paid for it.  

6 minutes ago, boston collectibles said:

This is my exact opinion too. Back in the day, it was customary to have the talent sign on the inside first page at the bottom just above all the publishing information.  basically because back then it was frowned upon to "Ruin" the cover with a signature. Oh, how times have changed.  It was even worse for sportcards back then too. For most people a signature pretty much made the card worthless to collectors.

What I did was I just bought two copies of Fantastic Four Annual #5. Stan Lee Wrote it. One was a CGC 9.2, and the other was a 7.0 signed by Stan Lee. The signed copy I bought on eBay for $200. So here's another caveat. for how much it's going to cost to buy the book you want, and then pay the exorbitant fee from Comicon to stand in line to have him sign it, and then pay a third time to have CGC grade it. Your best bet is probably do what I did and buy one already certified by CGC on eBay. I can almost guarantee, even if the person who sold this to me already owned the comic book, the price to pay to have Stan sign it, and the Price to pay to have CGC certify it probably costed more that what I paid for it.  

I can certainly see your point from both an economic and a convenience way of looking at this. 

On the other hand, I think there is a certain "thrill" some collector's receive from actually getting the books signed themselves and meeting their "hero" in person.    

I don't personally like signed books, however, I can understand how other are attracted to them.  I have had other things signed (movie -script and things like that, which do not have artwork)

If I were to get a book signed, I would want it to be on the inside.  

Everyone has different tastes and each collection shows the personality of the collector.  

So for each person, having a book signed is an individual choice.   To sign or not to sign. To have it signed in person (as I would prefer and have done with things like a movie -script) or to save the hassle and buy it already signed (and hope the signature is legit).  To sign on the cover or inside.   To sign a high grade book or a lower grade.   To sign a high dollar key or something less desirable.   

I am thankful that people are different and so are their choices.  This makes collecting fun and interesting.