• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comic should I get signed by Stan Lee?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, boston collectibles said:

What I did was I just bought two copies of Fantastic Four Annual #5. Stan Lee Wrote it. One was a CGC 9.2, and the other was a 7.0 signed by Stan Lee.   The signed copy I bought on eBay for $200. So here's another caveat. for how much it's going to cost to buy the book you want, and then pay the exorbitant fee from Comicon to stand in line to have him sign it, and then pay a third time to have CGC grade it.

- Stan was charging $100 apiece last year.
- Let's assume Con entry was $25 for the day
- Add in parking for a $10 spot
- A raw VF+ of FF Annual 5 recently sold for $47 on eBay, so let's call it $35 for raw F/VF book cost
- CGC grading under Economy with all fees/shipping was probably at least $60

Using my rough model, cost to a normal guy who obtained the signature would've been $230.  Although pressing, facilitator fees, etc. could add even more.

HOWEVER, I think I found your actual book in the completed listings.  Assuming that's the case and you did buy it from (big time dealer with massive inventory) pristinecomics-pristineccg, I would bet they still came out a few bucks ahead off of that $200 sale price.

4 minutes ago, DCman said:

Does CGC publish or track how many books stan lee has signed?  Is this info available anywhere?  Any guesses as to how many books have Stan's sig?

The closest you could come is on eBay type ss signed cgc Stan Lee and see how many results are posted then multiply by 2 lol

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The closest you could come is on eBay type ss signed cgc Stan Lee and see how many results are posted then multiply by 2 lol

I'm pretty sure you'd need to multiply by a much larger number than 2

Apparently Stan doesn't sign everything.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/12/29/stan-lee-forged-check-police-report/

Stan Lee Missing $300k Cops Investigating Forged Check

12/29/2017 5:02 PM PST

Stan Lee Files Police Report Over Alleged $300k Forged Check

Exclusive Details

1228-stan-lee-tmz-4.jpg

Stan Lee's checking account is $300k light, and cops are on the hunt for the perp who swiped the cash ... TMZ has learned.

We're told the Marvel Comics legend filed a report with Beverly Hills PD Tuesday after one of Stan's business partners

discovered the money had been withdrawn without his knowledge.

After some digging, it was discovered a $300k check was written to a merchandising company, Hands of Respect, for a "loan."

1228-stan-lee-alleged-check-tmz-4.jpg

Sources tell us neither Stan or his money managers wrote or authorized the transaction, and Bev Hills PD is investigating the case as a check forgery.

We're told Stan's people believe this might be an inside job -- someone within the foundation wrote the check in an attempt to keep the cash themselves.

Either way, it's not a very nice bday gift for the comic book icon ... who just turned 95 on Thursday.

On 12/28/2017 at 11:09 AM, mattn792 said:

- Stan was charging $100 apiece last year.
- Let's assume Con entry was $25 for the day
- Add in parking for a $10 spot
- A raw VF+ of FF Annual 5 recently sold for $47 on eBay, so let's call it $35 for raw F/VF book cost
- CGC grading under Economy with all fees/shipping was probably at least $60

Using my rough model, cost to a normal guy who obtained the signature would've been $230.  Although pressing, facilitator fees, etc. could add even more.

HOWEVER, I think I found your actual book in the completed listings.  Assuming that's the case and you did buy it from (big time dealer with massive inventory) pristinecomics-pristineccg, I would bet they still came out a few bucks ahead off of that $200 sale price.

I definitely agree with you on this.  In the last month I picked up two Stan Signatures for much less than it would have cost me to do it myself.  

There is also one other thing I will add to your list that many leave out.  In recent years, Stan's signature and signature placement skills have diminished.  Yes, I know that he just turned 95.  However, given the choice, would you rather have a smeared example of his signature or one that is clearly applied?  Would you rather have his signature covering Captain America's head or in the blank space under the shield?  Lately I am seeing a LOT of weird Stan signatures on books.  I doubt the owners would have chosen a sig placement like this.

I like to go shopping for my Stan signatures. 

14 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I definitely agree with you on this.  In the last month I picked up two Stan Signatures for much less than it would have cost me to do it myself.  

There is also one other thing I will add to your list that many leave out.  In recent years, Stan's signature and signature placement skills have diminished.  Yes, I know that he just turned 95.  However, given the choice, would you rather have a smeared example of his signature or one that is clearly applied?  Would you rather have his signature covering Captain America's head or in the blank space under the shield?  Lately I am seeing a LOT of weird Stan signatures on books.  I doubt the owners would have chosen a sig placement like this.

I like to go shopping for my Stan signatures. 

excellent points.