• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Filler, Upgrader, or Hoarder?

26 posts in this topic

Lean towards hoarder but not completely. Or maybe I'm not being honest with myself. I dunno.

I'm definitely not a "filler" as I never really understood that mentality.

Some kind of cross between upgrader and hoarder, I guess, but for the most part what I really do is keep everything I can and sell only what I have to in facilitating other purchases. That's not always a set formula.

I've for sure been one or the other or all 3 at one point and time in the last 25+ years I've been buying comic art. Now I don't think any of those 3 labels quite fit.

The closest from your list might be the Upgrader, but I'm more of a curator.

I have more or less completely full walls, and so I have something akin to a one in, one out policy. But the piece that gets added needs to fit somewhere and hang somewhere, and mesh with the other pieces in the room. I try desperately not to do portfolios (though I do still have one I'm trying to get a handle on.

Since the piece being removed in favor of the one coming in has more than likely no relationship to what is leaving (like selling a painting by an illustrator to buy a Graphic Novel Cover by a comic artist) It's not necessarily an upgrade in as much as it's a refining, or even course correction to the overall collection I suppose. I've found my tastes change, my interest occasionally wanes with certain pieces, and occasionally I come back around to an interest that I let go of in the past and am returning to.

My rooms are grouped by loose themes, so any decision is based on the impact not just of the work itself but how it co-mingles with the other pieces it will be hung with. Ultimately it comes down to feel, and where I feel like I am at from one moment to the next. It's an organic interaction with the art, rather than a checklist to be maintained, or upgraded or filled.

My Hoarder days are long gone, though I do still tend to fight that urge from time to time.

And what about the elusive variant of The Hoarder... The Car-Trunker? :-) Any of those guys still out there?

The only story I ever heard of like that was Mark Evanier and his literal Car trunk full of 100's of Jack Kirby pages he got back for him in the 70s. There other stories like that?